Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have been using a program called Flvto Youtube Downloader for yonks and never had any issues with it until now. I've just reinstalled an XP Pro machine and sorted all the drivers & updates, everything is working fine with the exception of FlvtoConverter v0.4.0.0, it crashes any time I try to run it and gives that useless message about sending the error report dump file to Mircosoft.

Gd3fSBH.jpg

I've installed this system many, many times before and know that the system itself is fine, so I'm lost as to where to even start to troubleshoot this problem.

Is there any software out there that might be able to indentify the cause of this crash?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have been using a program called Flvto Youtube Downloader for yonks and never had any issues with it until now. I've just reinstalled an XP Pro machine and sorted all the drivers & updates, everything is working fine with the exception of FlvtoConverter v0.4.0.0, it crashes any time I try to run it and gives that useless message about sending the error report dump file to Mircosoft.

Gd3fSBH.jpg

I've installed this system many, many times before and know that the system itself is fine, so I'm lost as to where to even start to troubleshoot this problem.

Is there any software out there that might be able to indentify the cause of this crash?
    Make sure to install the .net runtimes 3.5, 4.0 etc. on the off chance the program uses these. Does the program officially support XP? I've noticed even some basic software these days has XP support dropped due to the support ending in less than a years time. There may be an older version on the site with XP support if this is the case.
    Edit: Are you using a theme skinning program like Windows Blinds? If so these can play havoc with software that uses graphical GUIs

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Check the event viewer/windows logs/application for the time of the crash - see if there is an error and what module caused the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure to install the .net runtimes 3.5, 4.0 etc. on the off chance the program uses these. Does the program officially support XP? I've noticed even some basic software these days has XP support dropped due to the support ending in less than a years time. There may be an older version on the site with XP support if this is the case.
    Edit: Are you using a theme skinning program like Windows Blinds? If so these can play havoc with software that uses graphical GUIs

Nick

The latest Net Framework is installed Nick and the program is XP supported. I tried an older version and that gives exactly the same error :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Do you have all the same CODEC's etc installed that you had before reinstalling?
    That program may well rely on some of them?

kaimera wrote: »
    Check the event viewer/windows logs/application for the time of the crash - see if there is an error and what module caused the crash.

I just checked the event viewer (I feel like those scam callers now lol) and it is logging an error event each time I run the Prog but it simply says ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting" and when I click on it it tells me the usual crap that Flvtoyoutube converter had a problem :confused:

• Advertisement

".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
    The latest Net Framework is installed Nick and the program is XP supported. I tried an older version and that gives exactly the same error :confused:

Did you try an older version (2.0) of .NET so? Is the version you currently have completely backwards compatible?

wexie wrote: »
    Do you have all the same CODEC's etc installed that you had before reinstalling?
    That program may well rely on some of them?

Funny you should mention that wexie! I have the K-Lite pack installed but had not prior to re-install. Could Codec's cause something like that?

Funny you should mention that wexie! I have the K-Lite pack installed but had not prior to re-install. Could Codec's cause something like that?

I'm not sure, the download part of the software shouldn't be effected (I think) the converting part may well be.

I'd start with downloading .NET 2.0 anyway if the error specifically refers to it.

I'm not sure, the download part of the software shouldn't be effected (I think) the converting part may well be.

I'd start with downloading .NET 2.0 anyway if the error specifically refers to it.

I uninstalled K-Lite but it made no difference.

Net. Framework 2, 3 & 3.5-SP1 are all installed, I attempted to remove Dot Net 2 but it won't allow it as is say it's required. I wonder if the newer versions are effecting it?

I uninstalled K-Lite but it made no difference.

Net. Framework 2, 3 & 3.5-SP1 are all installed, I attempted to remove Dot Net 2 but it won't allow it as is say it's required. I wonder if the newer versions are effecting it?

......possibly?

Also just noticed there are 2 service packs for .NET 2.0 as well.

There's a webform for support on their website, nothing even remotely usefull in the FAQ though : http://www.flvto.com/feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

eh i use CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) it allows you to use any player you want for any video/audio file.and its spy/spam free

yra the later versions will effect you removing the earlier ones.

......possibly?

Also just noticed there are 2 service packs for .NET 2.0 as well.

There's a webform for support on their website, nothing even remotely usefull in the FAQ though : http://www.flvto.com/feedback

Yest it's on SP2 & that's what's installed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

THERES videdownloader ,extensions for firefox that download youtube videos, and have convert to mp4 ,avi,mobile video,high/low quality, etc as part of the menu .

Did you get anywhere with this gadgetman?

I'm afraid not wexie, not sure what else I can try so I'm kinda stumped. I know there are alternatives but I prefer this particular one and I hate when an issue like that gets away from me :)

I'm afraid not wexie, not sure what else I can try so I'm kinda stumped. I know there are alternatives but I prefer this particular one and I hate when an issue like that gets away from me :)

did you try emailing their support?

it may well be something they have a solution for

did you try emailing their support?

it may well be something they have a solution for

Actually, you linked to that in an earlier post and I forgot to do it :o I've just emailed them now and will report back if I get a response ;)

I contacted them via their feedback section and they requested a screenshot of the error. I reckoned that it would tell them as little as it told us but I sent it to them anyway. I decided to try install it on a Win 7 machine here and guess what? It wouldn't run on that either! so I let them know that too even though it wasn't giving an error screen as such, jut the "Windows is searching for a solution" progress box.

Anyway, long story short, They contacted me just now to say they had located and fixed the issue and that I should try installing it again. I did and it is working fine on both XP and Win 7 now :)

Advertisement