Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q on Stanley Cara Stoves

Options
  • 13-11-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Just looking for advise for fitting a cara Stanley insert stove with no back boiler. Do I need to insulate around the whole insert, sides, top and back?
    I put in the flexible flue and am insulating around that.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

There's no need to insulate around a Stanley cara. most inserts however do require wrapping with insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobby McEntyre

Stanley stoves are not the best buy. The insides warp and are not covered by guarantee after 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marguerite Kelleher

I also purchased a Stanley Cara Insert Stove and again the whole inside of stove warped badly after a few months. Terrible! Not a good buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

What fuel were you using.Did you contact stanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I have the Cara Inset. Absolute gem. Enormous heat for little fuel usage. No issues with warping. I'm burning ash logs & Supertherm smokeless coal.

The only issue I have is staying awake when I'm in front of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I also have a stanley cara too.Two years old,Its still looks new.Im delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

BRIDGE27 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for advise for fitting a cara Stanley insert stove with no back boiler. Do I need to insulate around the whole insert, sides, top and back?
    I put in the flexible flue and am insulating around that.

Thanks in advance

It is highly recommended to insulate around inset stoves to help get the heat out! If you have a large area you are trying to heat, insulating around the stove with rockwool will make the difference between comfortable heat and a lack of it!

It is highly recommended to insulate around inset stoves to help get the heat out! If you have a large area you are trying to heat, insulating around the stove with rockwool will make the difference between comfortable heat and a lack of it!
    Highly recommended by whom?
    Certainly not by Stanley as if you pack insulation around the Cara, you will end up with a toxic unbearable smell until you remove it.
    The Cara is designed to NOT have insulation packed around it.
    The other non-usable item is silicone based cement.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Highly recommended by whom?
    Certainly not by Stanley as if you pack insulation around the Cara, you will end up with a toxic unbearable smell until you remove it.
    The Cara is designed to NOT have insulation packed around it.
    The other non-usable item is silicone based cement.

Shur if you dont insulate around the stove, you leave an open space which will reduce the performance of the convection on the stove? The heat being generated will be absorbed into the chimney cavity no?

Shur if you dont insulate around the stove, you leave an open space which will reduce the performance of the convection on the stove? The heat being generated will be absorbed into the chimney cavity no?

I speak from first hand experience. When I installed mine, I thought like you & packed around it with insulation. I was getting an awful chemical smell but just thought it would go as it was the burning off smell.
    Never went so I rang Stanley. Spoke to their engineer & the first thing she said was there is only two things that cause that: 1) insulation packed around the unit which they do not recommend as it also overheats the unit & leads to warping of the unit & 2) using silicone based sealants.

Immediately, I said yup, it's no.1. Removed the unit, took out all the insulation & not even a hint of the horrendous smell since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Great product, I love mine.

shane0007 wrote: »
    I speak from first hand experience. When I installed mine, I thought like you & packed around it with insulation. I was getting an awful chemical smell but just thought it would go as it was the burning off smell.
    Never went so I rang Stanley. Spoke to their engineer & the first thing she said was there is only two things that cause that: 1) insulation packed around the unit which they do not recommend as it also overheats the unit & leads to warping of the unit & 2) using silicone based sealants.

Immediately, I said yup, it's no.1. Removed the unit, took out all the insulation & not even a hint of the horrendous smell since.

Some insulation can get terrible alright for smell and dangerous as they may be flamable. I know our guys when installing do use Rockwool. (Cannot think of the specific grade, but I know its the grade which is heat resistant and not dangerous). Never an issue and never a smell. We have often had to go out to installs by other people who didnt insulate around the stove and the customer wasn't getting any heat. After we reinstalled the stove with insulation they now were getting the designated heat.

Cannot definately say about Stanley, but I know the Henley Achill is made in the same building as Stanley in China and we do insulate around that.

I had used Rockwool also.
    When I rang Stanley, I never even mentioned it & she said right away the issue. Removed it & smell gone, so I can only comment on the Stanley Cara, which was the OP's query.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jezz09

Some insulation can get terrible alright for smell and dangerous as they may be flamable. I know our guys when installing do use Rockwool. (Cannot think of the specific grade, but I know its the grade which is heat resistant and not dangerous). Never an issue and never a smell. We have often had to go out to installs by other people who didnt insulate around the stove and the customer wasn't getting any heat. After we reinstalled the stove with insulation they now were getting the designated heat.

Cannot definately say about Stanley, but I know the Henley Achill is made in the same building as Stanley in China and we do insulate around that.

Hi,

I have the Henley achill, not getting the required heat out. I know there is no insulation around the unit as I watched the install. What insulation do you recommend? Do you pack the whole cavity or just wrap it around the steel surround?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hillgrove

Can I burn turf in a cara stanley insert stove?

Advertisement