Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance Refused

Options
  • 13-11-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all. I suffer with Depression / Anxiety and depersonalization disorder. Last year I went to prison for cutting my wrists ( in a public place ) I was on disability since i was 16 and it was stopped when i went to prison.
    When I got out I was told since I was only in for 5 months I did not have to apply again. After a few more months of waiting I rang them up and they said I had to apply again... and again.. and again. So after losing 2 applications on me they finally got it on July 29th this year. I got a letter today stating it was refused on medical grounds, even though I am exactly the same, if not worse, as before. I intend to lodge an appeal. Is there anyone here who can help me as to what exactly to send in? And if you appealed, did how long did it take? Also, they said my condition is not serious enough, I was never even called in for an assessment. Is this normal?

Comments

It appears to be the norm that they are refusing people first time round.

I had to gather further medical evidence, from an expert in the area related to your health problems (in my case a psychiatrist, would be yours too); visited a disability advocate in my area (if you can find one, they can be a godsend) who advised me and helped me to write a letter in my own words describing the impact my illness had on my every day living. If it had gone to an appeals hearing she would have attended with me. I was never called for assessment, either first time around or at appeal stage. All this was returned within the time limit and it took about five months to be approved (2010). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thedroog

Thanks for the reply. So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering people with cancer ,triple by pass post op and people who have in some cases lost limbs have been refused disability ,
    Its pretty common to be refused now ,

Especially if it's considered your capable of working

Gatling wrote: »
    Considering people with cancer ,triple by pass post op and people who have in some cases lost limbs have been refused disability ,
    Its pretty common to be refused now ,

Especially if it's considered your capable of working

Not knowing the difference between reality and imagination half the time sounds dangerous to work ha. There was no sign of it being stopped before I went to prison. I guess it is back to getting the run around again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

thedroog wrote: »
    Not knowing the difference between reality and imagination half the time sounds dangerous to work ha. There was no sign of it being stopped before I went to prison. I guess it is back to getting the run around again

You just have to fight ,In some case it may take 12 months some longer

• Advertisement

I have a TD helping, hopefully that will speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My brother in law had terminal cancer, we had to ask twice before we got it.

ebbsy wrote: »
    My brother in law had terminal cancer, we had to ask twice before we got it.

Absolute disgrace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement