Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TI Race Calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Valentia also moved back to 24 May. Still the first OWS but a couple of weeks later, this is a good move IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Number of NS races down from 22 to 16, I hear - 7 sprint, 7 olympic, 2 middle distance.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah feck now I have to decide between tri an mhi and athy double oly. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

XTERRA Killaloe on July 20th, sweet.

No Pikeman? Say it ain't so, Oryx!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt Godel wrote: »

There a few of the smaller races missing that will pop up over the next couple of months I reckon. Happens like that every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Gah The Humbert Challenge is moved back to the 27th of July and the Shadowman a week later - there is no way I will be able to hold the wife off for holidays till after either of them :mad:

So its either Tri an Mhi or keep away from the desserts and wine and actually do some training on holiday this year and do the Lost Sheep the end of August.

The way I am going at the moment the later my season starts the better!

A round of applause to TI and race organizers for including a kids series in the calendar- weekend passes are much easier to come by if the kids can join in the fun! A series of 4 races catering for 8-15 year olds. (This might make for a tough descision; Valentia or Lough Cutra the next day?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

BTH wrote: »
    https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html?&sort=type&sortt=asc

And nothing on there yet about championship races or National Series. Maybe there will be changes...

Here you go

www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1525

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Details on NS dates and races :
    Disappointed here on the distribution with some surprises .You cant please everyone but ...

Vodafone National Series Races

Sprint

18th May: 3DTri Sprint Triathlon (Dublin)

7th June: Crooked Lake Triathlon (Armagh)

14th June: GloHealth Mullaghmore Triathlon Sligo

21st June: Hook or By Crook - Waterfprd

5th July: Waterways Ireland triAthlone -WestMeath

12th July: Two Provinces Triathlon - Longford

26th July: King of the Hill -Cork

Standard

25th May: The Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon - Galway

31st May: TriAthy Olympic -Kildare

28th June: Hell of the West -Clare

9th August: Caroline Kearney Memorial Triathlon -Westmeath

24th August: Dublin City Triathlon -Dublin

7th September: Belfast Titanic Triathlon -Antrim

13th September: Blacksod Point Challenge -Mayo

Middle

17th August: Half Ireman - Down

30th August: The Lost Sheep -Kerry

'Fraid so. Long story :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Some nice new "opportunities" here and well deserved and congrats to them and some its great to see some top notch races still in here but I am disappointed that some excellent races have not been included , Nenagh , Joey Hannon ,Lough Key , Loughrea ,Ballina , Rosses Point spring to mind.

Distribution makes the series a bit of a challenge for us out West .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

It's probably for the best that they cut the amount of races in the National Series. Even though our own club race misses out it is still the right call and there are no hard feelings from us. Should make for a better quality entry field at each of those races and that has got to be applauded.

Great to see the Olympic distance national championships in Kilkee next year. Can't wait for that.
    Great to see the Half Ironman distance national championships in Lost Sheep next year. Can't wait for that.

all n all pretty pleased with those lists.

Funny, I am thinking the same thing for the South-East!:D Reckon its a pretty fair spread around the country, yet again the midlands have things cushy.

Lough Cutra is open for early-bird (€53) entry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I also welcome the reduction in the number of NS races. The spread ain't bad and there will always have to be races that will miss out, that's just the nature of the beast.

I was planning on building my season around the National Championship races. What I had been hoping for was:

NC Sprint: Mullaghmore
    NC Olympic: HoTW
    NC Half: Kenmare or Humbert
    NC Aqua: Galway

So 3 out of 4 ain't bad at all! Glad Kenmare got the nod in the end because with them moving the bloody date for Humbert it means I cannot do it (wedding that day), I'm disappointed not to be able to do it but after a quick look at the course at Shaddowman which is the following week I will consider that. I am very familiar with the north and west part of the bike course.

The announcement of the calandar is something I always look forward to and it has excited me and has provides great motivation. I love planning the racing year :):cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

three triathlons in killaloe next year. Bloody hell. that'll keep me busy

i presume with HOTW and Lost Sheep being the NC it now means that two difficult to enter races now just got even harder?

first glance at that calendar would suggest a serious increase in the number of races from this year for me. Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Some nice new "opportunities" here and well deserved and congrats to them and some its great to see some top notch races still in here but I am disappointed that some excellent races have not been included , Nenagh , Joey Hannon ,Lough Key , Loughrea ,Ballina , Rosses Point spring to mind.

I would have thought we're doing ok, one for Mayo, sligo and galway, throwing in clare, westmeath x2 and longford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cut in number of NS races surely just makes NS races harder to get into. Are they trying to increase the standard in NS races? Less races = more competition for entry = the more competitive athletes will be quicker off the mark to enter?

NS icons are not showing on the list for me. Is that a chrome thing or did I break something?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Should pool sprints be in the National series with all the other options we have?
    No offence but they are hardly real triathlons. You have to tap feet and hope the person ahead of you heeds the tap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    Gah The Humbert Challenge is moved back to the 27th of July and the Shadowman a week later - there is no way I will be able to hold the wife off for holidays till after either of them :mad:

So its either Tri an Mhi or keep away from the desserts and wine and actually do some training on holiday this year and do the Lost Sheep the end of August.

The way I am going at the moment the later my season starts the better!

That actually suits me as i have something planned for the "normal" weekend of Humbert !

And it gives a nice month then until the Lost Sheep !

• Advertisement

bopperr wrote: »
    Should pool sprints be in the National series with all the other options we have?
    No offence but they are hardly real triathlons. You have to tap feet and hope the person ahead of you heeds the tap!

I imagine the reason is to start the season earlier, with a guaranteed swim. Agree with you though, tapping feet is no substitute for OW!

Cut in number of NS races surely just makes NS races harder to get into. Are they trying to increase the standard in NS races? Less races = more competition for entry = the more competitive athletes will be quicker off the mark to enter?

or the more competitive ones don't get in before they close

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bopperr wrote: »

yes.
    and they are real.
    if people seed themselves correctly and you don't stupidly confuse being a faster swimmer than the person in front of you with the effect of drafting........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Without googling who won the AG NS that you are in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney wrote: »
    Without googling who won the AG NS that you are in?

I'd hazard a guess at Marie Boland but I've no idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

yet again the midlands have things cushy.

I don't think it's all that cushy for the midlanders.

9 National Championships races with only one in midlands (Para). The Cross Tri, Standard Tri, Aquathlon and both Childrens are in the west, with Sprint up north, Duathlon in east and Middle distance down south.

In National Series there are 4 of 16 races in the midlands. Thats not really an uneven spread.

Standard Distance - 3 in the West, 2 in the midlands (Athy and CK) and 1 in each of the east and north.

Sprint Distance - 2 in the midlands (TriAthlone and Two Provinces), 2 down south, 1 in each of the east, north and west

Middle Distance - 1 up north and 1 down south

The one race I was most looking forward to myself was the Middle Distance Championships and the only event I didn't want to host it was Lost Sheep. Just my luck. It's a great race and all but it's a long haul for me. I've travelled there before but really don't want to have to travel there again. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A round of applause to TI and race organizers for including a kids series in the calendar- weekend passes are much easier to come by if the kids can join in the fun! A series of 4 races catering for 8-15 year olds. (This might make for a tough descision; Valentia or Lough Cutra the next day?)

You do know there was a very well attended kids series held throughout 2013? http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=185

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »

Get yer excuses in early :rolleyes:

Get yer excuses in early :rolleyes:

2014 thrash talking in 2013. boo-yahhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Clum wrote: »
    I don't think it's all that cushy for the midlanders.

9 National Championships races with only one in midlands (Para). The Cross Tri, Standard Tri, Aquathlon and both Childrens are in the west, with Sprint up north, Duathlon in east and Middle distance down south.

In National Series there are 4 of 16 races in the midlands. Thats not really an uneven spread.

Standard Distance - 3 in the West, 2 in the midlands (Athy and CK) and 1 in each of the east and north.

Sprint Distance - 2 in the midlands (TriAthlone and Two Provinces), 2 down south, 1 in each of the east, north and west

Middle Distance - 1 up north and 1 down south

The one race I was most looking forward to myself was the Middle Distance Championships and the only event I didn't want to host it was Lost Sheep. Just my luck. It's a great race and all but it's a long haul for me. I've travelled there before but really don't want to have to travel there again. Oh well.

Cushy for the midlanders as u live in the middle ;)

Advertisement