Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TI Race Calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Get yer excuses in early :rolleyes:

At least I don't leave them till the morning of the race

Knockma not on till March 30th next year - it should be positively balmy weather for you at that stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The calender is fairly balanced but having no sprints after July is surprising.

There will be a few clubs out West annoyed this AM. The fact that TI award the marquee status of NS two non club races is confusing. I think TI will eventually move all the NS races to bigger status races nationwide. The criteria for selecting NS is so wide it means they can basically select who they want.

I don't really agree that Mullagmore should be on the calender as an NS race. It has every right to be a race on the calender. But the race is be organized by a sailing club for fundraising for the sailing club. Personally I think Triathlon Ireland should be supporting triathlon clubs who are trying to develop the sport and not really help out other sports.

Don't get me wrong its a very good course in an iconic venue/setting. However very averagely organised, drafting, transition crashes, crap prizes and a goddy bag and an hour of a wait for food afterwards. In other words being run to make as much money as possible for another sport.

If Mullagmore or any of these races are selected they should be made cough up a significant amount to help support TI objective. I mean a couple of grand as the I would expect they are not organising the races for the sake of Triathlon. I don't think their is a huge difference in registration costs between private/club.

If you look at the effort that Lough Key, Rosses Point or Loughrea went to last year in comparison to the Mullagmore event I would say those clubs will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

P2C wrote: »
    The fact that TI award the marquee status of NS two non club races is confusing.

Which two are you referring to? Mullaghmore and Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Lough Cultra Castle series and Mullagmore.

In fairness the Athlone race has contributed massively to the development of the sport in Ireland with hosting international races, junior races, draft legal format and I am sure TI have received a lot of funding via one day licenses etc.

Lough Cultra getting NS status is surprising. Its a relatively new race. My understanding was you need to be running the event for 3 years. They had low numbers at last year and the previous years events. Early bird entry @ €53. Be interesting to see what the late bird gets caught for. Based on their uk pricing @ £80 after April entry for an Olympic race. Its an expensive sport.

My opinion and its always being the same. I will continue to support clubs and club races.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

No Sprints after July! - get them in early.

Lost Sheep better for Mid Distance Champs as later in Year.

Reduction in Number of NS races - was this expected??. It will increase standard but will make difficult to get into races even more difficult with more people than ever trying to enter.

Pity to see Beast of East off the list. Thought that they may also include JH to get in an early season Pool Oly!

It'll be laptops at the ready on entry opening days!!

• Advertisement

In fairness the Athlone race has contributed massively to the development of the sport in Ireland with hosting international races, junior races, draft legal format and I am sure TI have received a lot of funding via one day licenses etc.

True, I have done this race in the past and have no problem with it at all - just assumed it was one of the non-club races that you were talking about. So that's 4 non club races then if you also include Athy?

Athy
    Athlone
    Mallagmore
    Lough Cultra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I thought Athy was run in conjunction with Trilogy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is it not a bit disingenuous to have races on the calendar that are on in the Fingal County Council area given there is zero chance of these races happening? Or has that issue been resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I'd hazard a guess at Marie Boland but I've no idea really.

25-29?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I thought Athy was run in conjunction with Trilogy?

Not really, Trilogy are paid for each marshal they provide. They also set up transition etc ( all for a price ).

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Alot of "club" races are actually commerical races fronted by clubs. use clubs name, get TI insurance cheaper and and get people to say "oh its a club race lets support it"

It is

For once i know 100000000000000000000000000000000000% that you are wrong;)

Pretty exciting to have a cross event on the calendar - anyone know where this is being held?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Is it not a bit disingenuous to have races on the calendar that are on in the Fingal County Council area given there is zero chance of these races happening? Or has that issue been resolved?

AFAIK the issue hasn't been completely resolved, but progress has been made.

That was a good few weeks ago, so there may have been further progress. Listing a NS race and a NC race in the region, I would hope that TI are very confident that this issue will be put to bed long before any races are due to take place.

Now, as a Mod, I'm going to ask that this matter is left to TI, CI and everyone else involved to sort it out without starting a argumentative discussion on here about it. This has been the Boards.ie line on this all along both here and on the cycling forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Surprised that Lough Rea isn't on the list for NS, one of the most enjoyable races I done last year and my vote for race of the year after DCT. Other sprint I done was hook or by crook and for my money Lough Rea was a better race, I know Hook wasn't run in perfect circumstances but, in my opinion, was way behind Lough Rea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Pretty exciting to have a cross event on the calendar - anyone know where this is being held?

xterra? Yup, 2 miles out the road from me in Killaloe,same location as the boru triathlon every year, although the course should be different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »

That was a good few weeks ago, so there may have been further progress. Listing a NS race and a NC race in the region, I would hope that TI are very confident that this issue will be put to bed long before any races are due to take place.

Now, as a Mod, I'm going to ask that this matter is left to TI, CI and everyone else involved to sort it out without starting a argumentative discussion on here about it. This has been the Boards.ie line on this all along both here and on the cycling forum. Thanks

Or that they haven't joined the dots and figured out that a NS and NC race won't be happening.

Anyways while I disagree with not discussing it (as I think we should be allowed to discuss something as important as this, or at least make people aware "don't target one of these races") I'll stop pointing out the elephant in the room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

25-29?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Lough Cultra Castle series and Mullagmore.

It is suprising to NS status going to races and organisation that are not putting anything back into clubs with coaching sessions, information eve's ,training opportunities ,promotion etc , lough Cultra is not partnering with any local Tri club based on their website , entry for 2014 to the Oly is £85 and £160 for half iron ....
    MSC Tri a great club in Mullaghmore have to run their own Tri (Lakeside) in August as a fundraiser as the Mullagmore race is for the sailing club .
    Curious as to whether the non club races have to provide Tech Officials to races as per TI clubs.

Looking at the calendar some big players are getting in on the Tri/Duathlon space with Delphi running a tri and duathlon . Fairplay to them if there is a market for it but it will push small clubs out as there are only so many competitors available and only limited local sponsorship available.

Great choice in races and most a worthty NS selection but it will be hard for a small club to survive and reinvest if we dont get numbers .

For once i know 100000000000000000000000000000000000% that you are wrong;)

Thought i read this somewhere a few years back alright..........

Type Company
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    Address ATHY COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE CENTRE
    WOODSTOCK SOUTH INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Effective Date 11/04/2007
    Last AR Date 11/10/2012
    Next AR Date 11/10/2013
    Last Accounts to Date 31/03/2012

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not really, Trilogy are paid for each marshal they provide. They also set up transition etc ( all for a price ).

So you're agreeing that Athy is a commercial race?

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    Thought i read this somewhere a few years back alright..........

Type Company
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    Address ATHY COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE CENTRE
    WOODSTOCK SOUTH INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Effective Date 11/04/2007
    Last AR Date 11/10/2012
    Next AR Date 11/10/2013
    Last Accounts to Date 31/03/2012

Thats correct. Trilogy AND Athy Tri club provide marshals for the day. Also the lead marshals and to be honest a serious amount of expertise on the day BUT all decision are made by the directors of the above company.

So you're agreeing that Athy is a commercial race?

Of course.............just look at the "goodie bag".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Details on NS dates and races :
    Disappointed here on the distribution with some surprises .You cant please everyone but ...

Vodafone National Series Races

Sprint

18th May: 3DTri Sprint Triathlon (Dublin)

7th June: Crooked Lake Triathlon (Armagh)

14th June: GloHealth Mullaghmore Triathlon Sligo

21st June: Hook or By Crook - Waterfprd

5th July: Waterways Ireland triAthlone -WestMeath

12th July: Two Provinces Triathlon - Longford

26th July: King of the Hill -Cork

Standard

25th May: The Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon - Galway

31st May: TriAthy Olympic -Kildare

28th June: Hell of the West -Clare

9th August: Caroline Kearney Memorial Triathlon -Westmeath

24th August: Dublin City Triathlon -Dublin

7th September: Belfast Titanic Triathlon -Antrim

13th September: Blacksod Point Challenge -Mayo

Middle

17th August: Half Ireman - Down

30th August: The Lost Sheep -Kerry

First impressions it looks like Rosses got bumped for lough cutra
    Loughrea got bumped for Caroline Kearney
    And lough key got bumped for the belfast titanic (personally disappointed about lough key)

I hope TI are implementing a policy of giving all decent races a spin on the National Series. Decent races that missed out this year should get first dibs next year outside of your marquee races ....hotw,athlone

I also hope they put a min limit on each NS race.....minimum of 400 finishers per race...
    Sick of going to races were there was 400 entries and only 270 finishers....sell 500 if 20% are no show.

HOTW 30th anniversary had to be the national champs in 2014!! cant wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

BTH wrote: »

Completely without the intention of starting an argumentative discussion
    Can you tell us what the problem is or why races in Fingal may not happen?

A PM would do if public discussion it totally ruled out.

Thanks.

Yep

Yes then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Clum wrote: »
    Completely without the intention of starting an argumentative discussion
    Can you tell us what the problem is or why races in Fingal may not happen?

A PM would do if public discussion it totally ruled out.

Thanks.

PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

And lough key got bumped for the belfast titanic (personally disappointed about lough key)

3 early season pool based triathlons also lost out to another pool based triathlon that might or might not go ahead. Could be a strange decision depending on how much information TI and the hosting club have. Personally I would be fine with getting rid of all pool based triathlons from the National Series. Bumping races for a triathlon that they are working on getting the go ahead for is a small bit of an insult (if true) - but sure we will get over it! Hopefully TI and 3DTri know more than Tunney does.

Not sure how Lough Cutra got selected either. It has been poorly supported from the triathlon community in Ireland since it started and its selection will only encourage other NS races to start ramping up the prices - if Lough Cutra can charge this, why can't we? I suppose TI are probably looking at more marquee events and a strong argument could be made for that line of thinking.

6 races out of 16 I will be avoiding next year due to personal stances on issues / reviews / course types. Still plenty of choice left.

I also hope they put a min limit on each NS race.....minimum of 400 finishers per race...
    Sick of going to races were there was 400 entries and only 270 finishers....sell 500 if 20% are no show.

Ah here, seriously?? You cant blame race organisers for people not showing up! Imagine if they oversold like you suggest and then everyone turns up....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

EC1000 wrote: »
    Ah here, seriously?? You cant blame race organisers for people not showing up! Imagine if they oversold like you suggest and then everyone turns up....

I wud class imagine if in the same bracket as the what if question...it never happens ! No shows wud be a minimum of 10%in all races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I hope TI are implementing a policy of giving all decent races a spin on the National Series. Decent races that missed out this year should get first dibs next year outside of your marquee races ....hotw,athlone

Requires some clarification, but I always thought that races had to apply to be considered for NS status.

Either Race Directors are not applying for NS status for their events to ease pressure in the race build up or events are falling short in the application process. I believed there was a minimum set of standards and infrastructural commitment to be made for a race to become NS.

Happy to be corrected or have anyone clarify the exact situation.

Advertisement