Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hip dysplasia

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi everyone has anyone had there toddler diagnosed with hip dysplasia and had surgery to correct it would be greatful for any info regarding it have been advised that our toddler needs it but im just not very convinced by it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nice big, comprehensive thread on hip dysplasia here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67767648

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Thanks looked and didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Our daughter was diagnosed at 8 months but she's only just had her operation at a bit over two and a half. Her hip socket hadn't developed enough of a curve for them to be entirely happy. I think if you get the surgery you are making sure your child has the longest life out of the hip - otherwise you could be talking about early arthritis and early hip replacement and I think possibly in their 20s or 30s, depending on severity or what the actual issue is I presume. It's normal for surgery to occur with late diagnosis as earlier interventions that might have been possible are too late now. In our case we were late diagnosed and the spica cast worked to stabilise her hip (it was completely dislocated) but the socket just didn't have enough time with the hip in place to form properly. As far as I was concerned it's either a surgery now or a surgery later when she's older, maybe even in 50s or 60s, but recovery time is so fast when they are young. She had surgery on a thursday and was back to creche on Monday! Not walking but in great form and raring to go. Their resiliance is incredible.

Thanks luggage for reply pretty much same situation just everything's seems perfect now flying round the place not in any pain just with surgery chance could be left with limp or infection and still can't say for sure when she would be in 30s -40s that there no chance of arthritis. I could see if she was having problems now then definitely be for it but to help prevent something for 40 years time with the risks involved and then maybe same out come find it hard to justify in our case

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Glendalyn

Hi, i was born with this in 1971! Back then they didnt operate. I had a brace that held my hips open (birn with hips closed) for the first 6 months of my life. I have never had problems with my hips. Personally, if your baby is moving about (crawling or walking?) without signs of stress or pain, I wouldnt operate. I think drs these days are to keen on cutting people open. Im of the opinion that, should a problem arise, then it can be taken care of. My 42yr old friend just had hip replacent surgery, and she said it wasnt nearly as bad as she expected it would be. Adults are much better equipped to deal with such trama. Only my opinion, but my little one is 13 months and I wont even let them xray her hips (they really want to because of my history!). Shes walking and has 0 issues. Good luck with what ever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Glendalyn wrote: »
    Hi, i was born with this in 1971! Back then they didnt operate. I had a brace that held my hips open (birn with hips closed) for the first 6 months of my life. I have never had problems with my hips. Personally, if your baby is moving about (crawling or walking?) without signs of stress or pain, I wouldnt operate. I think drs these days are to keen on cutting people open. Im of the opinion that, should a problem arise, then it can be taken care of. My 42yr old friend just had hip replacent surgery, and she said it wasnt nearly as bad as she expected it would be. Adults are much better equipped to deal with such trama. Only my opinion, but my little one is 13 months and I wont even let them xray her hips (they really want to because of my history!). Shes walking and has 0 issues. Good luck with what ever you decide.

What a horrible, irresponsible attitude. Your poor daughter.

Yea she's just over 2 years of age and and she running round like any 2 year old would hate to put her through ordeal for something that may happen also think if she had problem in 40 years time with development of medicine could be simpler solution don't want to be in denial either head wrecking .

huntsman77 wrote: »
    Yea she's just over 2 years of age and and she running round like any 2 year old would hate to put her through ordeal for something that may happen also think if she had problem in 40 years time with development of medicine could be simpler solution don't want to be in denial either head wrecking .

If she has a problem with both hips, do you think she'll make it to her 40's with no issues arising? Afraid not, she WILL have issues in her 20's.

Well doctor we dealing with said 40s so hoping he knows little more than you or maybe you specialize in this area do you .

huntsman77 wrote: »
    Well doctor we dealing with said 40s so hoping he knows little more than you or maybe you specialize in this area do you .

I'll happily take the word of the surgeon who performed 7 surgeries on my daughter over someone on the Internet. Tom Burke in Croom hospital, probably the best surgeon in the country when it comes to things like this.

• Advertisement

What a horrible, irresponsible attitude. Your poor daughter.

I could say the same for yours, except I respect your right as a parent to make your own decisions. I would appreciate it if you would do the same for me. I think this poor woman has enough to think about without being bullied or guilted into a decision. As a parent we owe our children to get as much information from as many sources as possible and I was only adding my personal expirience with this issue.

I'll happily take the word of the surgeon who performed 7 surgeries on my daughter over someone on the Internet. Tom Burke in Croom hospital, probably the best surgeon in the country when it comes to things like this.

Different cases different people different opinions hope all is well for ye .

I could say the same for yours, except I respect your right as a parent to make your own decisions. I would appreciate it if you would do the same for me. I think this poor woman has enough to think about without being bullied or guilted into a decision. As a parent we owe our children to get as much information from as many sources as possible and I was only adding my personal expirience with this issue.

What possible reasons have you to not do a simple xray to confirm ddh or prove there's nothing to worry about? Would you rather your child having to deal with it themselves in their 20's/30's? Being unable to walk for a few months?

There is absolutely no reason other than pure selfishness on your part. It's a blatant case of closing your eyes and hoping the problem will go away, news Flash, if your daughters hips are dislocated the problem won't just disappear.

And Btw, my daughter was also running around like every other toddler her age. Both of her hips were dislocated, she would have needed a replacement in her early 20s. According to her surgeon, the operations he performed have given her until her 60's before she will possibly need one.

My Gf is pregnant at the moment and the first thing I will be doing is demanding a proper xray and not the ridiculous "turkey" method they still do in Irish hospitals.

What possible reasons have you to not do a simple xray to confirm ddh or prove there's nothing to worry about? Would you rather your child having to deal with it themselves in their 20's/30's? Being unable to walk for a few months?

There is absolutely no reason other than pure selfishness on your part. It's a blatant case of closing your eyes and hoping the problem will go away, news Flash, if your daughters hips are dislocated the problem won't just disappear.

Considering she has never had ANY problems with her hips, I dont see the point radiating her organs (esp her reproductive system) on the "chance" something might be wrong. Cancer is a very serious issue this day and age, and unless there is a real reason to radiate her, Im not going to. You can tell yourself xrays are harmless, but I dont believe they are.

Considering she has never had ANY problems with her hips, I dont see the point radiating her organs (esp her reproductive system) on the "chance" something might be wrong. Cancer is a very serious issue this day and age, and unless there is a real reason to radiate her, Im not going to. You can tell yourself xrays are harmless, but I dont believe they are.

My daughter never had ANY problems with her hips, they were examined 8 times using the turkey method and was given the all clear EVERY time. One 20 second xray later and she was diagnosed with dysplasia of both hips.

Your cancer story is a joke, it's pure and utter selfishness. Afraid to look after a child in a spica possibly?

My daughter never had ANY problems with her hips, they were examined 8 times using the turkey method and was given the all clear EVERY time. One 20 second xray later and she was diagnosed with dysplasia of both hips.

Your cancer story is a joke, it's pure and utter selfishness. Afraid to look after a child in a spica possibly?

I believe we have hijacked this thread enough. You have your opinion, I have mine. Lets leave it at that. Im sure weve given her plenty to think about. All the best.

Last I'll be posting on topic as well guys was looking for opinions and people who went through it not people dictateing what kind of parent I am every case is different good luck to all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Agreed, thread closed.

Vinz Mesrine and Glendalyn, I encourage you both to read the charter of this forum before posting again. Attack the post, not the poster is one such particular rule you might both take note of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement