Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Mart Site for Sale

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

See this has gone up for sale. Should be quite a bit of interest I'd say, namely Tesco.
    A few other sites around they city have gone up for sale too (development ones). Also mentions of potential supermarket to go into the old Brewery, seeing as it's such a big site to fill.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The CAS will decide a lot of the interest and the planning permission.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

road_high wrote: »
    See this has gone up for sale. Should be quite a bit of interest I'd say, namely Tesco.
    A few other sites around they city have gone up for sale too (development ones). Also mentions of potential supermarket to go into the old Brewery, seeing as it's such a big site to fill.
    I agree it would be ideal for Tesco. The Draft City Development Plan 2014-2020 says the that the Smithwick’s site should be the focus for retail expansion in the city, but now the new Abbey Creative Quarter has turned this on its head, so they'll have to push retail out into the old Mart site. High St. businesses won't like it, but it will ensure the CAS is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree it would be ideal for Tesco. The Draft City Development Plan 2014-2020 says the that the Smithwick’s site should be the focus for retail expansion in the city, but now the new Abbey Creative Quarter has turned this on its head, so they'll have to push retail out into the old Mart site. High St. businesses won't like it, but it will ensure the CAS is built.

I can see Tesco even going into the Brewery either. Reading between the lines the Council have said they would "like" to see a supermarket there...they win win here as they get the rates they sorely crave from a large store and get it right in the centre of town so as not be suck life out of the centre to out of town locations (as has happened in many other towns) where they traditionally may prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

road_high wrote: »
    I can see Tesco even going into the Brewery either. Reading between the lines the Council have said they would "like" to see a supermarket there...they win win here as they get the rates they sorely crave from a large store and get it right in the centre of town so as not be suck life out of the centre to out of town locations (as has happened in many other towns) where they traditionally may prefer.

That Joe Crockett fella was quoted on the Kilkenny people this week stating KK has no demand for another supermarket, as we have enough. Personally, and I might be wrong, I strongly disagree with him. We could do with a Tesco somewhere in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I thought foxycoverteddy would be all over this thread by now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

catbear wrote: »
    I thought foxycoverteddy would be all over this thread by now!
    Too busy tunnelling under the Callan bypass:)

mydogjack wrote: »
    That Joe Crockett fella was quoted on the Kilkenny people this week stating KK has no demand for another supermarket, as we have enough. Personally, and I might be wrong, I strongly disagree with him. We could do with a Tesco somewhere in the city.

I agree and I don't think the headline is accurate on that article either.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/tesco-still-a-maybe-if-they-play-ball-and-the-demand-is-there-1-5661451

Unlike the headline, I think Crockett was really saying there's no way Tesco will happen. Too many 'ifs' and 'buts'. Looks like he controls everything that happens in Kilkenny. :eek:

mydogjack wrote: »

He said that but then utterly contracted himself saying they may let one into the Brewery site :confused:
    Anyways, the market should decide not him. Is that just an opinion or based on some kind of fact? Kilkenny is quite under served with supermarkets compared to other towns it's size (and much smaller ones too).

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Its not so much the lack of supermarkets for me, its the lack of choice. Currently we have two Dunnes and with Supervalu taking over Superquinn at some point in the future I assume that will mean two Supervalus.
    Along with two Lidl's and two Aldi's. Surely there is room for some differentiation. A Tesco is badly needed in Kilkenny IMO.

Callanutd wrote: »
    Its not so much the lack of supermarkets for me, its the lack of choice. Currently we have two Dunnes and with Supervalu taking over Superquinn at some point in the future I assume that will mean two Supervalus.
    Along with two Lidl's and two Aldi's. Surely there is room for some differentiation. A Tesco is badly needed in Kilkenny IMO.
    Haha 2 Dunnes 2 Aldis 2 Supervalus we need another Lidl!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

KK doesn't need another supermarket IMO. Building another supermarket would dilute the other business areas, this will have a knock on effect for other businesses in town. EG. Shops in Market Cross and the town centre. We should be working and supporting what we got rather than building another.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I definitely agree that Kilkenny doesn't need a supermarket. It's just unfortunate that Tesco or Marks and Spencers didn't become anchor tenants in MacDonagh Junction when it was being built. Choice is one thing but necessity is another and Kilkenny is well served by the amount of supermarkets it has.

When it comes to differentiation and choice outside of this, I think supporting your local producers would be a better way to go than one more supermarket franchise setting up in town.

West side of Kilkenny city is shockingly poorly served. The area around Robersthill over to the Freshford road is prime territory for a decent supermarket, totally under served part of the city with retail.

kikel wrote: »
    KK doesn't need another supermarket IMO. Building another supermarket would dilute the other business areas, this will have a knock on effect for other businesses in town. EG. Shops in Market Cross and the town centre. We should be working and supporting what we got rather than building another.

According to the Kilkenny People story the some city centre businesses seem to want a large retailer on the brewery site, in order to to keep them out of the mart site. Quote:

"At Tuesday’s public meeting, Martin Costello of Murphy’s Jewellers asked if there would be any space for large a large retailer on the site, given the rules for sequential testing. Retail Planning Guidelines state that the preferred location for retail development is within the established town centre, and only if none is available should an edge-of-centre location be considered.

“I hope we would provide for that possibility,” he said.

“Otherwise we will drive them out onto the mart site or on the edge of town.”

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/tesco-still-a-maybe-if-they-play-ball-and-the-demand-is-there-1-5661451

Seems like opinion might be divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Wonder no more, after the problem over the CAS, it would seem Crockett and the Council are not going to bend to public pressure, they rule the City and that is how it is going to be, to put forward ideas is wasted effort and the majority of you deserve better than that.
    Do we need another supermarket, some of what we have are okay, but we do not have one large enough, Aldi and Lidl leave little room for expansion, Supervalu is diminutive as Supermarkets go, Dunnes, very Tesco like, we still have not a decent shopping mall, not Carlow, not Clonmel and definitely not Waterford.
    We have to move forward, no point building to cause further traffic chaos in town.
    If planning is poor it is often too late to put matters right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Haha 2 Dunnes 2 Aldis 2 Supervalus we need another Lidl!

There are 2 lidls....

Advertisement