Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about bottle feeding

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

An idiotic question here ladies but bear with me!!
    Am mainly breastfeeding but Olivia gets a bottle feed from my husband during the night. At the moment we are using those one use aptamils similar to the ones in the hospital but obviously don't want to continue that as they are quite wasteful if she only takes a little. They are also expensive but very convenient!! I want to start making up a bottle of ordinary formula before bed and using that for the night feeding but my husband is worried about the time it will take to get from the fridge to room temp. What is the quickest way of getting that to room temp(what she's used to drinking) as my husband is worried about her getting upset and hungry waiting. Nana Roesy said that I could just bring it down to the room after I do the 1ish feed so its there and ready for oh to grab on his way out for the next feed. What do you ladies do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We take it out of the fridge and microwave it for about 30-40 seconds .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Moonbeam wrote: »

Thanks. With lid, nipple and top of bottle still on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We have a bottle warmer but that doesn't make sense for you since you are mainly breast feeding but you could heat the bottle up in a jug of just boiled water. It only takes a few minutes to get it to room temperature that way. We do that fairly often now as we make a sneaky cup of tea from the freshly boiled kettle while waiting for the bottle to warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Moonbeam wrote: »

HSE and Public Health Guidelines do not advocate heating bottles in a microwave as microwaves do not heat evenly and may cause hot spots in the milk that may burn the child. However, although these are guidelines that I do adhere to, there are a few people who heat in the microwave and havent had any problems so far. But guidelines warn against this and are there for a reason.

When our fella was newborn, like you I breastfed but OH gave LO the small aptimal bottles you give yours. When we started making up the bottles it could take about 5 min or so to warm them. Initially we placed the bottle in a jug of hot water shaking at intervals. We invested in a tommee tippee bottle warmer (which actually came as part of our sterilizer kit).. i think they could be 10-20euro on their own. Was really easy to use and very handy.

I have to say tho, i found the 5 min waiting for the bottle to warm torturous as it feels like half hour with baby screaming at the top of his lungs and getting distraught! Was dire tbh! microwave would be very handy here! Once when LO was so distraught I gave him the milk cold and discovered he actually really liked the milk cold! I know a lot of babies dont tho! We did warm them however, if he wasnt too distraught. He now throws away a warm bottle and will only take it cold... but hes 11 months now.

As to what your mother says re leaving the bottle out to get to room temp. Well it would depend what time your baby wakes. Made up bottles are not meant to be left out for more than 2 hours. After 2 hours they have to be disposed. So if your baby is waking within 2 hours and drinks the bottle straight away that would be ok. But if longer than that this solution wouldnt work.

Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We started off using the c&g ones similar to your aptimal ones. My daughter is now 9 weeks and gets a bottle nightly (bf during the day). We have started buying the little premade cartons. They last 24 hours in the fridge once opened so we get 2 nights out of them. They are so handy - not as cheap as formula, but still reasonable compared to the ready made bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Microwave for 30-40 seconds straight from fridge and make sure to give bottle a good shake and test it's not too warm on your elbow/wrist.

January wrote: »
    Microwave for 30-40 seconds straight from fridge and make sure to give bottle a good shake and test it's not too warm on your elbow/wrist.

Im not trying to moderate here (or be a smart arse for that matter... but guidelines are there for a reason and I would have thought advocating something that is against HSE recommendations would not be appropriate on a public forum.

Anyways here is a link to back up what I have stated. Please see page 6 in regards to heating bottles.

P.s. im not trying to offend anyone here or anything...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby%27s_bottle_feed.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We have a bottle warmer now but when I was breastfeeding and my husband did one bottle a night he just sat the bottle in a mug of boiling hot water for a few minutes and that did the trick.

They say not to microwave bottles due to "hot spots" but we do do it sometimes, if necessary. I don't like doing though, do it's only if we've no other option.

EDIT: of, I missed that hot spots had been mentioned already. Silly me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Im not trying to moderate here (or be a smart arse for that matter... but guidelines are there for a reason and I would have thought advocating something that is against HSE recommendations would not be appropriate on a public forum.

Anyways here is a link to back up what I have stated. Please see page 6 in regards to heating bottles.

P.s. im not trying to offend anyone here or anything...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby%27s_bottle_feed.pdf

I understand what you are trying to say but when you've a screaming baby waiting for a bottle you'll do anything to quicken it up.We're not forcing anyone to microwave bottles.

January wrote: »
    I understand what you are trying to say but when you've a screaming baby waiting for a bottle you'll do anything to quicken it up.We're not forcing anyone to microwave bottles.

Yea I know... Just there was another thread here about making up bottles before and when another poster said she didn't adhere to hse guidelines a mod reprimanded her on it and said she should not be advocating going against guidelines. But sorry I know that's off topic.

I know you're not forcing anyway to use the microwave but these guidelines specifically warn against this method.

But I can see and know exactly what you're saying about a screaming baby and it's horrible for baby and the parents. But personally I would not go against policies and guidelines. But thats just me.
    I am involved in writing up hospital policies and guidelines... And I see what can sometimes happen when they are not followed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We boil the kettle before bed and put the boiled water in the sterile bottle. The powder is then measures out into a small tub and mixed with the bottle at feeding time.

I am not sure if this way is recommended but we have being doing it for well over 6 months without issue. Same with the day time bottles now that baby is weaned - pour the batch out in the morning and mix formula as required.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is true and I appreciate what you are saying.
    The guideline is there same as with food for a good reason.

I made all #1s bottles on demand so never had the issue,#2 needed special formula which could be made in advance and well with #3 i started making bottles in advance and was advised by a health care professional to microwave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

bp wrote: »
    We boil the kettle before bed and put the boiled water in the sterile bottle. The powder is then measures out into a small tub and mixed with the bottle at feeding time.

I am not sure if this way is recommended but we have being doing it for well over 6 months without issue. Same with the day time bottles now that baby is weaned - pour the batch out in the morning and mix formula as required.

I was doing this but the powder is a nightmare to mix into cold water. I'm using dr browns bottles which you're not supposed to shake, so I have to stir them with a long handled spoon. They mix much better when the waters hot, so I make them up hot, cool them under cold running water, put them in the fridge and heat them as I need them.

Do not put milk powder into cold boiled water. After boiling the water needs to be cooled for 30 min (to allow it to get to 70 degrees) and then add the powder. This sterilises the powder without spoiling the powder. Milk powder Is not sterile and sterilising it is vital when making up bottles!

You can make up bottles for 24 hours if needs be, store them in fridge and then dispose of them after the 24 hours.

But you should not put the powder into milk much less than the 70 degrees. I know many people do this... But again it is advised against. Many people continue to use this method without baby ever getting sick... However it does only take one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Not wanting to get catty, but what the HSE write on paper, 9 out of 10 times they themselves do not adhere to, especially regards feeding. I usually heat breast milk in the microwave for 15 seconds so it doesn't even get warm, it only barely stops being too cold and a good shake and of course, the inside of the wrist test, because lets face it, common sense tells us that if it hurts there, it will hurt baby.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Not wanting to get catty, but what the HSE write on paper, 9 out of 10 times they themselves do not adhere to, especially regards feeding. I usually heat breast milk in the microwave for 15 seconds so it doesn't even get warm, it only barely stops being too cold and a good shake and of course, the inside of the wrist test, because lets face it, common sense tells us that if it hurts there, it will hurt baby.

Your quote of 9/10 times is incorrect and I would like to see your researched stats on that. You are completely generalising here and are misinformed.

I understand a lot of warnings can be construed as scare tactics and in a lot of circumstances common sense prevails. However, on a public forum I would be highly against advising against hse policy as these are the SAFE precautions to take to avoid any risk at all. You don't know who you are informing or advising here and you don't know their intelligence level or their level or common sense. It would be silly to just presume everyone has the same level of reasoning as yourself. That is why guidelines are in place a lot of the time.

I am not telling anyone what to do here in regards to caring for their own child. Merely saying that informing others against HSE guidelines (or any expert guidelines in a specific area) should not be done. Unless that person has researched based evidence that can contradict these guidelines. In which case the guidelines would need to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

We also microwave the bottles straight from the fridge. Always making sure to give them a good shake/stir and testing on the wrist before giving it.

HSE guidelines are all well and good in an ideal world, but what the HSE recommend isn't always the best option. A bit of common sense is much better than following guidelines to a tee.

Our first PHN made it out as we where the worst parents in the world on #1 because we made bottles up in advance. She expected us to make them up as needed. Again all well and good in theory but try waiting 45 minutes for a bottle at 3am with a screaming baby!

The advice you're given also depends on the PHN you have. We've seen several different ones over the years and each has their own opinion on how to do different things.

Your phn was misinformed. If needed you can make bottles up for 24 hours. I have to agree with you on the level on the differing opinions of the PHNs. But what they advise should not be their opinion but an informed one of such. And if they are not giving an informed opinion based on best evidence and research I would call into question their level of competence as I would any healthcare professional.

And also just to add... I am not calling into question the way parents are caring for their child. I am fully aware that their babies are priority and parents are doing the best they possibly can with the resources they have available.

The only point I am trying to make here is that I would not think advising against HSE guidelines and warning should be advocated in a public forum as these guidelines believe it or not ARE there for a reason. And if I am incorrect then I wonder why as I stated before a previous poster on another thread was reprimanded by a moderator for advising against HSE guidelines when making up bottles.

Anyway... I'll bow out of this now. LO is after stirring again and my pregnant belly is calling for more food yet again. But that's one for the moan thread....

• Advertisement

Are you sure? The recommendations seem to change often, and I think at the time the current recommendation was to not make bottles in batches but only as needed.

I'd much rather a PHN that wasn't afraid to give her opinion over one that only cited off rules from a HSE guidebook.

Current guidelines state you can prepare bottles for 24 hours. These guidelines have been around for a few years... But yes granted are always changing every few years. Will check date tomorrow as getting tired now. So it would depend on how old your little one is. Apparently it is 'best' (twiddles thumb) to make up bottles as you go... But it is also known to be impractical... And it is safe to prepare for 24 hours.

Me, I would prefer a PHN to give me an informed opinion rather than her opinion... Which lets face it... Could come from anywhere. My PHN didn't have kids so for her to give her opinion that Wasnt informed... Well I wouldn't really be sure where that was coming from.... But that's just me.

If it's the thread I'm thinking of the other poster was given a warning because they recommended against following the correct safety guidelines, which could be dangerous.

A lot of guidelines are in place for people with no common sense. If the HSE didn't advise against heating the bottles in the microwave you'd have stupid people heating them for 2 minutes, not stirring them and scalding their babies.

As I said in my above post, common sense goes a long way most of the time. You're not going to scald your baby by sticking a cold bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds, shaking and testing the temperature.

I've used this method on both my kids and never once scalded either of them.

As I have said in a previous post you do not know who you are advising on these forums so you can not or it is not safe to assume everyone has the same level of common sense or intelligence as you. Therefore, surely you can not advocate going against these safety guidelines on this public forum?

And yea, the other poster was given a warning as they recommended going against the safety guidelines which could be dangerous. Now please see page 6 of the link I posted earlier and please see that using a microwave is going against the safety guidelines provided by the HSE which could in turn be dangerous to the child.

Thats me done. Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If it's just one bottle at night then I would use the pre made cartons. Just take a sterilised bottle to bed with you and open the carton and fill the bottle when the baby wants it. They don't need to be stored in the fridge before being opened so will already be at room temperature.

Microwaving is discouraged because it can cause hot spots. However, if you shake the bottle vigorously before feeding to ensures the liquid is the same temperature all over it is fine. I would have no problem doing this when there is a baby screaming for milk. Sometimes it can seem like an age waiting for the hot water to heat the bottle!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Your quote of 9/10 times is incorrect and I would like to see your researched stats on that. You are completely generalising here and are misinformed.
    You clearly have never dealt with them regarding anything to do with breastfeeding.

"Breast is best", "every breastfeed counts", then every weighing session, every development check, "supplement, supplement" and in some cases, just abandon breastfeeding altogether when there is nothing in the world wrong with mother or child. EVERY mother I come across on breastfeeding groups has had this issue. I have had it since my daughter was born, every time I have seen a member of the HSE bar one PHN, one! Doctors in the hospital were worse, so called experts, just looking at a chart, not using an ounce of cop on, then having a look of stunned indignation on their face when you tell them you disagree.

Common sense and cop on is severely lacking in the HSE. They are too obsessed with their books and journals when human beings tend not to conform to such things most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

Just in terms of length of time for heating, it very much depends on the volume of liquid being heated; the smaller the volume, the shorter the time.

You clearly have never dealt with them regarding anything to do with breastfeeding.

"Breast is best", "every breastfeed counts", then every weighing session, every development check, "supplement, supplement" and in some cases, just abandon breastfeeding altogether when there is nothing in the world wrong with mother or child. EVERY mother I come across on breastfeeding groups has had this issue. I have had it since my daughter was born, every time I have seen a member of the HSE bar one PHN, one! Doctors in the hospital were worse, so called experts, just looking at a chart, not using an ounce of cop on, then having a look of stunned indignation on their face when you tell them you disagree.

Common sense and cop on is severely lacking in the HSE. They are too obsessed with their books and journals when human beings tend not to conform to such things most of the time.

I breast fed for 5 months thanks and had a lot of dealings with them during this time. only stopped due to a medical problem which I had to have treated and which was contraindicated while breast feeding so also hope to breastfeed this time for a lot longer. So I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions. I actually found the majority of the healthcare professionals I dealt with very supportive and very professional. Bar 1 PHN. Maybe that depends where you go....

Also, I think you are failing to see my point here. As I have previously said a few times... I AM NOT telling people how to care for their child!!!! Merely stating tht advising against the SAFE HSE guidelines on a public forum should not be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think you are conflating PHN's and the HSE here.

Having dealt with 3 shockingly poor PHN's who I can only describe as halfwit mouth-breathers... I can wholeheartedly agree that the ones I encountered lacked any kind of sense, common or otherwise. They contradict themselves, eachother, and even their own guides. I wouldn't trust them with a cat, let alone a baby. They are wrapped up in weights and teeth, and seem to disregard everything else to do with a child's welfare. They were less than zero help for the breastfeeding issues I was facing, and skipped most of the developmental checks including sight and hearing. I since met an excellent PHN, so I know it's not across the board, but there seem to be a good amount of bad apples there.

HSE guidelines are a whole other situation. The guidelines are there for reasons, each of which is based in research and evidence. I'd place far more weight in a HSE guideline than on a PHN's opinion.

pwurple wrote: »
    I think you are conflating PHN's and the HSE here.

Having dealt with 3 shockingly poor PHN's who I can only describe as halfwit mouth-breathers... I can wholeheartedly agree that the ones I encountered lacked any kind of sense, common or otherwise. They contradict themselves, eachother, and even their own guides. I wouldn't trust them with a cat, let alone a baby. They are wrapped up in weights and teeth, and seem to disregard everything else to do with a child's welfare. They were less than zero help for the breastfeeding issues I was facing, and skipped most of the developmental checks including sight and hearing. I since met an excellent PHN, so I know it's not across the board, but there seem to be a good amount of bad apples there.

HSE guidelines are a whole other situation. The guidelines are there for reasons, each of which is based in research and evidence. I'd place far more weight in a HSE guideline than on a PHN's opinion.

I have seen more doctors, nurses and PHN's in 4 months than I did in my life before hand! And sadly only one out of the whole lot, had common sense to look at the child smiling in front of her rather than the chart. It is so hard to even think of HSE guidelines when so many of the people working for them won't even consider them.

And Sligo1. I am so glad you had a good bf experience with them, you are one of so few, it is great to know some women get the support they need. I see your point, of course for the most part, the HSE puts out the safest guidelines for everything, but common sense should also play a huge role. Not once did I ever think you were telling me how to raise my child, don't worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 clazza

I gave my baby bottles straight out of the fridge even tho he was used to breastfeeding and obviuosly having the warm milk but he took a cold bottle no problem! Might be worth a try to save the hassle of warming bottles!

Advertisement