Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Can I Use To Dye My Hair?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem. A few years back I used to use normal hair dye, but then one time I got a massive allergic reaction and have never been able to use it again, I even tried it a couple months back with no ammonia, etc, but still I am allergic.

I have looked at Henna, but it doesn't seem the change the hair colour that much.

My hair is dark brown, but I have a good amount of greys in it now and it's bringing me down as I am only 26, and would love to have the natural black colour I'd used for years. I don't even know what it is in the dyes that gives me that reaction.

Does anyone know of any organic brands?

What can I use?

Where can I get it?

I really am desperate to get a hair colour again, but I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

This happened to me too! Was dying my hair for 15 years, pretty much every 2 months, using same brand...I took a break from dying last year then got sick of natural mousey colour and decided to start back dying it using my regular brand of blonde (Garnier nutrisse). For the first time ever I decided to do a patch test and within 1 minute it had actually burnt me behind the ear (still have small scar!). Thank GOD I didnt apply to my whole head all at once or I would probably have ended up in A&E. I decided to try another brand (L'oreal) and again I got burnt. Thought I was destined to be a mousey colour for life (I was dying blonde) but decided to give Aveda salon a chance as had heard colour had less chemicals...and I had no reaction! So I'm back to being a blonde albeit at a higher cost :) Maybe give Aveda colours (done in Aveda salons) a go if you're near one? Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mischamilo

Thanks! I will have a look for that and try! I also found a hair dye online called Vegetal Hair Color which is PPD Free, Ammonia and Peroxide Free. So can't hurt to do a test of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Most likely you are allergic to ppd. The darker the colour you use the more ppd in it. As Donna said Aveda may be worth a try but make sure they do a patch test at least 48 hours in advance first and make sure you tell the about your previous reaction to colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

I've seen henna in Lush which dyes hair a darker colour, maybe something like that would work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Yes definitely try that first as could work out a lot more cheaper if find a home one that suits! PPD is most likely allergic chemical used and it's mostly found in the darker dyes I think so I'm not sure if that was what I was having a reaction to. I looked into the more natural dyes also but unfortunately there isnt a great blonde range. Let us know how you get on anyhow :)

Forgot to say don't forget to do a patch test no matter what you use first! I explained to my hairdresser about my reaction so got a 48 hour test done but most hairdressers will not do this as far as I know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement