Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy price

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

andreac wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with undervaluing my stock. I had a waiting list for pups as the litter was a good quality litter with the sire being the top winning dog in the country.
    So if there had been someone on the list who wasnt willing to pay the price, i had plenty of other people on the list willing to pay it.

I just didnt have enough pups for everyone that enquired, so hence i had a waiting list. Nothing to do with price or undervaluing.

If you had plenty of interest in the litter, and the quality is good, surely they command a premium price. Looks to me you asked too little for them.

Good reputable breeders will never haggle on price. They work very hard to raise a litter and certainly are not going to haggle on a price. If you want to haggle, off you go somewhere else

I have bred some smashing cattle, sold for up to several thousand. I would be a "good reputable breeder". I have no issue with haggling. The market dictates the price. Why should it be any different with a dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Bizzum wrote: »
    I have bred some smashing cattle, sold for up to several thousand. I would be a "good reputable breeder". I have no issue with haggling. The market dictates the price. Why should it be any different with a dog?

With Show Dogs, their wins also dictate their price. Anyone is free to haggle but they would be sent on their way promptly.

Off topic us show people spend a lot of time grooming our dogs & presenting them well but at a recent agricultural show several of us were very amused to see cattle being paraded around the ring with glitter on their rather ample behinds!

Knine wrote: »
    With Show Dogs, their wins also dictate their price.

Same with show cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grassyass101

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    hi
    i am in market for new puppy.and maybe this is not right forum,but here is my question:
    if puppy cost 800,how much is price negiotable?can i get it for 600?
    if i am buying a car,i would negiotate like mad and normally get it 15-25% less than asking price
    Is it same story with puppies?I dont want insult owner

I recently bought a Bulldog, and I negotiated the price. Everything is negotiable. A good breeder is expensive, but that doesn't mean you can not haggle with them. 10-15% off asking would be about the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Same with show cattle.

But dogs aren't shown at a cattle mart/auction type scenario.

A dog is primarily going to be a pet, a member of the family. There's a far stronger emotional attachment to pets than livestock. The attachment that most farmers put on their livestock is a financial one, particularly if their cattle are for slaughter. As with all business there might be some haggling from a livestock point of view. But it's a completely different situation with pets, for the majority of people, (the obvious pf/byb excluded) they don't go to buy a puppy with the intention of financial gain, it's for companionship and a family member. You can't really put a price on the years of companionship and happiness you get from a pet, so it's not something I would ever consider haggling on.

• Advertisement

Some recent costs I would have had just to give people an idea

Emergency C-Section €650

Is this the usual cost of a section? The last CS we had was €220, in the middle of the night (Cow).

Edit:I should add this price includes follow up meds and one follow up visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

Is this the usual cost of a section? The last CS we had was €220, in the middle of the night (Cow).
    probably cheaper if you haggle with the vet :(

I actually hope not to be honest. Mine was also the middle of the night. Also the aftercare was shocking. Puppies returned to me stone cold & they tried to bottle feed them while cold. This could have killed them.

Unfortunately I had to use the vet on call & was in no position to argue price etc.

But dogs aren't shown at a cattle mart/auction type scenario.

A dog is primarily going to be a pet, a member of the family. There's a far stronger emotional attachment to pets than livestock.

I don't see it making any difference where an animal is shown.

In relation to emotional attachment. It's a red herring. When you or I or anyone else goes to purchase a pup, we have zero emotional attachment to that particular pup. Emotional attachment only comes with time if you buy the pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Edit:I should add this price includes follow up meds and one follow up visit.

C-sections for dogs can cost anything from 500-1000. A friends dog had to have an emergency c-section before and it cost her 600euro. Thats a small dog too. A large dog can cost anywhere up to 1000.

• Advertisement

I don't see it making any difference where an animal is shown.

In relation to emotional attachment. It's a red herring. When you or I or anyone else goes to purchase a pup, we have zero emotional attachment to that particular pup. Emotional attachment only comes with time if you buy the pup.

Your missing my point. Perhaps deliberately. Livestock and farming is making a living. A business. Buying a pup is an emotive thing to do. Not a business decision. It's normally heart over head. Complete opposite of a business transaction.

Your missing my point. Perhaps deliberately. Livestock and farming is making a living. A business. Buying a pup is an emotive thing to do. Not a business decision. It's normally heart over head. Complete opposite of a business transaction.

I'm not missing your point. It just doesn't make sense to me. Like I stated above, emotions only come into it when the deal has been done.
    How can you be emotionally attached to something you don't know?

I'm not missing your point. It just doesn't make sense to me. Like I stated above, emotions only come into it when the deal has been done.
    How can you be emotionally attached to something you don't know?

The whole idea of getting a companion dog stirs up emotions. You look at pictures and you 'ooh' and 'aah' over cute little puppies. It's normal emotions that I experienced and my very masculine OH experienced when we started looking for our puppy.

When I visited my pup first she was 6 weeks old, we fell for her straight away. We didn't pay for her until we went to collect her 2 weeks later. If you want something and yearn for something such as this, then there is an emotional bond there before you even get the pup. It's not the same as a business transaction, nor will it ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

andreac wrote: »
    C-sections for dogs can cost anything from 500-1000. A friends dog had to have an emergency c-section before and it cost her 600euro. Thats a small dog too. A large dog can cost anywhere up to 1000.

I'm just wondering if there is a difference in the pricing structure for a vet that only does small animals compare to a vet that does both small and large animals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The whole idea of getting a companion dog stirs up emotions. You look at pictures and you 'ooh' and 'aah' over cute little puppies. It's normal emotions that I experienced and my very masculine OH experienced when we started looking for our puppy.

When I visited my pup first she was 6 weeks old, we fell for her straight away. We didn't pay for her until we went to collect her 2 weeks later. If you want something and yearn for something such as this, then there is an emotional bond there before you even get the pup. It's not the same as a business transaction, nor will it ever be.

Exactly, it doesn't feel any different to me than the fact that I am utterly in love with my child, who may not even yet have a heartbeat and functioning hands, but I know he or she will be here soon, and I know the second I lay eyes on them, my heart is going to break from so much love.
    I feel no different about pets. My dog is a part of my family and I welled up with tears when I met him for the first time.

I'm just wondering if there is a difference in the pricing structure for a vet that only does small animals compare to a vet that does both small and large animals?

I would imagine for a vet that primarily deals in livestock his overheads would be less. I know a vet (I bought my jeep from him) who has a rural practice and he does a pet clinic twice a week from home. Otherwise he travels to his customers. He laughed at me when I told him the prices that my vet charges for consultations, neuter/spay, antibiotics etc. But he doesn't have a practice to run and maintain for 12hrs a day, with extra utilities, rents to pay, large commercial rates on a large unit etc.

The whole idea of getting a companion dog stirs up emotions. You look at pictures and you 'ooh' and 'aah' over cute little puppies.

I ooh and aah over livestock, but i don't lose the head.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Exactly, it doesn't feel any different to me than the fact that I am utterly in love with my child, who may not even yet have a heartbeat and functioning hands, but I know he or she will be here soon, and I know the second I lay eyes on them, my heart is going to break from so much love.
    I feel no different about pets. My dog is a part of my family and I welled up with tears when I met him for the first time.

There is no point making this comparison. My point is being missed here, so I'll say it again. There can be no emotional attachment to a pup that is unknown to the purchaser.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyway, Im out, this place has my blood absolutely boiling lately.

Feel free to do that if you want.I've already told you to stop moaning about the forum.You don't HAVE to post here but if you do you will stick to the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't know much about the pricing structure, but a C section for a cow would generally be cheaper than in a dog because it is done standing. Dogs require a full general anaesthetic so that would make up for some of the extra cost.

But I would imagine your oohs and aahs have silver linings of €€€€€€. Ie when you see something you like, you will convert those feelings into thoughts of "how much can that make for me?".

There is no point making this comparison. My point is being missed here, so I'll say it again. There can be no emotional attachment to a pup that is unknown to the purchaser.

That is only your opinion. As a farmer you probably have a slight detachment to animals, that the average pet owner doesn't. I would imagine that to you they're more of a commodity than somebody who is looking for a companion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If your €650 Labrador is a top winning champion bitch & likewise the sire, then the costs to gain this title could well exceed the price of the litter. If the parents are just pet quality then yes you can see how they would be making a profit. It costs an awful lot of money & time to Title a dog.

Why should that cost be factored into the pups though? Surely this expense is part of your hobby of showing the dogs. You'd have that expense whether you bred the pups or not.

I feed my dog everyday to keep her healthy but I wouldn't see that as an overhead cost of breeding.

I actually hope not to be honest. Mine was also the middle of the night. Also the aftercare was shocking. Puppies returned to me stone cold & they tried to bottle feed them while cold. This could have killed them.

Unfortunately I had to use the vet on call & was in no position to argue price etc.

You said above:
    I'm based in Dublin. That is what my vet charges. I use one vet as I don't shop around with my dogs health. They left for their new homes fully vaccinated & with a Fido Microchipping pack. Those packs I think cost €20 if you wanted to purchase separately.

Surely you shouldn't be using this one vet if not happy with their service?

I also use one vet and will admit prices are cheaper because I'm in Cavan but I wouldn't think there are any huge differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Of course there is point is making that comparison. Simply because you cannot lay the law on how people feel.
    I love animals, and don't view them as a form of making money.
    I have three pets, and I fell in love with all three before money exchanged hands.

Money doesn't buy you love.

Lemlin wrote: »
    You said above:

Surely you shouldn't be using this one vet if not happy with their service?

I also use one vet and will admit prices are cheaper because I'm in Cavan but I wouldn't think there are any huge differences.

Read the post again. The C- Section was an emergency so I had to use whatever vet was on call.

I'm very happy with my regular vet. Dublin vet prices are higher then elsewhere. A booster vac with kennel cough costs €75 per dog.

Read the post again. The C- Section was an emergency so I had to use whatever vet was on call.

I'm very happy with my regular vet. Dublin vet prices are higher then elsewhere. A booster vac with kennel cough costs €75 per dog.

I had read the post. I had assumed that you were using the same veterinary practice but it was a different vet then the one you use because yours was not available.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Why should that cost be factored into the pups though? Surely this expense is part of your hobby of showing the dogs. You'd have that expense whether you bred the pups or not.

I feed my dog everyday to keep her healthy but I wouldn't see that as an overhead cost of breeding.

It was you that mentioned feeding Breeders schemes. I never mentioned feeding costs.

By showing I am proving my dogs worth. How often do you hear people say they have a fantastic looking dog? Says who? Go on DD & you will see plenty of ads stating how great their dogs are. A picture then tells a totally different story.

So as a person who would have Champion Labradors who asks for €650 per pup is well justified as they have official recognition of that fact. No way would I pay that amount of money for pet type dogs.

But I would imagine your oohs and aahs have silver linings of €€€€€€. Ie when you see something you like, you will convert those feelings into thoughts of "how much can that make for me?".

That is only your opinion. As a farmer you probably have a slight detachment to animals, that the average pet owner doesn't. I would imagine that to you they're more of a commodity than somebody who is looking for a companion.

I imagine stuff too, but am around long enough to know that imagination aint reality.

At this stage you are deliberately missing my point. Do I have to keep repeating it?
    You reply to and ad on Donedeal for example, go view the pup, how can there be an emotional attachement to an unknown pup? Can you become emotionally attached to a picture on DD for example?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Of course there is point is making that comparison. Simply because you cannot lay the law on how people feel.

Ok, you can make any comparison ya want, but that doesn't make it valid.

I'm not attempting to "lay the law". I'm telling you how I feel.
    I felt the issue was being muddied by bringing in a comparison of your early pregnancy and an emotional attachment to an unknown pup. To me there is no comparison, but if you feel like that, then that's your prerogative.

I imagine stuff too, but am around long enough to know that imagination aint reality.

At this stage you are deliberately missing my point. Do I have to keep repeating it?
    You reply to and ad on Donedeal for example, go view the pup, how can there be an emotional attachement to an unknown pup? Can you become emotionally attached to a picture on DD for example?

I would never reply to an ad on donedeal for a pup.

But I have told you this already, so I feel it is you who is being deliberately obtuse. When we started looking for our pup we did many searches and had plenty of emotional responses to pictures. However the breeder we chose didn't have pictures on the internet, we rang them shortly after the pups were born. We visited when they were 6 weeks old, even for the month preceding our first visit we were bristling with anticipation, and when we did see them and chose our girl, I certainly did feel an emotional response.

Back on topic, OP, you want a french bulldog, you will pay lots for a french bulldog. For €800 you might get a crossbreed or a pup that is so badly bred you'll be paying off a bank loan of vets bills. For a decent frenchie you'll be waiting a long time, litters are small and due to whelping issues good reputable breeders are hard to find. TBH, as cute as they are, the fact that such a high percentage of bitches need to be C-sectioned would put me right off ever, ever considering getting a french bulldog. It's just so wrong to me to breed a dog that due to 'breed standards' has to have surgery in order to give birth.

• Advertisement

It was you that mentioned feeding Breeders schemes. I never mentioned feeding costs.

By showing I am proving my dogs worth. How often do you hear people say they have a fantastic looking dog? Says who? Go on DD & you will see plenty of ads stating how great their dogs are. A picture then tells a totally different story.

So as a person who would have Champion Labradors who asks for €650 per pup is well justified as they have official recognition of that fact. No way would I pay that amount of money for pet type dogs.

You seem to have misunderstood my point. My point is you were listing the cost of attaining "champion status" for your dogs as a cost tied into the pups.

I would disagree with this. I would see this as a cost you would have as part of your hobby anyway. An every day cost like feeding the dog.

You'd have that cost whether your dog had puppies or not.

I'm not raising any problem with price at all. People are entitled to charge as they please.

Advertisement