Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Box SZ-1 flip helmet release cable snapped

• 13-11-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Anybody else have this release cable snap on the Box lid?
    Mine snapped a couple months out of warranty and a friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to his Box flip lid.
    It's quite a fiddly cable to make at home so does anyone know if this cable is available as a replacement?
    I can't seem to find any contact details for the manufacturer of these lids or even who the manufacturer is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Anybody else have this release cable snap on the Box lid?
    Mine snapped a couple months out of warranty and a friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to his Box flip lid.
    It's quite a fiddly cable to make at home so does anyone know if this cable is available as a replacement?
    I can't seem to find any contact details for the manufacturer of these lids or even who the manufacturer is.

Don't worry about warranty or who makes it. Your contract is with the shop and the "Sale of Goods and services act" is your friend. A lid should last longer than a year so get back to the shop you bought it in and tell them it's not fit for purpose. You then get offered Repair, Replacement or Refund. Repairs have to be permanent, so if it breaks again they should offer replacement or refund.

Be polite but firm if they try to fob you off. If they don't play ball the Small Claims Court is only €15. You need to send a registered letter to the shops outlining your issues and keep a copy for your records to show the court. If you reject repair the first time it could go against you if you need to go to the SCC.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did you buy in Ireland? Go back to the shop if you haven't already and see what they are willing to do.

I am familiar with one case of this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Oryx wrote: »
    Did you buy in Ireland? Go back to the shop if you haven't already and see what they are willing to do.

I am familiar with one case of this happening.
    Yes I bought it in Ireland. I did bring it back straight away but because it was a few months past warranty they were unable or (unwilling) to do anything.
    That was about 6 months ago and I've been using my old helmet since that.
    I got bored last night and decided to take the flip mechanism apart to see if I could repair it.
    Now that I've opened it up and reassembled it that probably voids any case I had.
    If I just get a replacement cable I'd have it fixed in 10 minutes!
    If I could get a contact email or number for the manufacturer I'd try and blag a new cable but they mightn't send me on one due to liability issues etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Yes I bought it in Ireland. I did bring it back straight away but because it was a few months past warranty they were unable or (unwilling) to do anything.
    That was about 6 months ago and I've been using my old helmet since that.
    I got bored last night and decided to take the flip mechanism apart to see if I could repair it.
    Now that I've opened it up and reassembled it that probably voids any case I had.
    If I just get a replacement cable I'd have it fixed in 10 minutes!
    If I could get a contact email or number for the manufacturer I'd try and blag a new cable but they mightn't send me on one due to liability issues etc

Too late now but you should have kept after the shop. A warranty is an addition to your consumer rights and too many shops get away with fobbing people off. You could still try the Small Claims Court. But the fact you've worked on the helmet yourself could go against you, but you only did that as the shop denied you your rights.

Checked the SHARP site and Oxford Products make Box

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/box-sz1

But I'd try the shop again before contacting the manufacturer. Google the sale of goods act and read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Del2005 wrote: »
    Too late now but you should have kept after the shop. A warranty is an addition to your consumer rights and too many shops get away with fobbing people off. You could still try the Small Claims Court. But the fact you've worked on the helmet yourself could go against you, but you only did that as the shop denied you your rights.

Checked the SHARP site and Oxford Products make Box

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/box-sz1

But I'd try the shop again before contacting the manufacturer. Google the sale of goods act and read it.

Thanks. After reading in that Sharp site that in only 36% of impacts the faceguard remained locked I think I might just forget it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement