Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder rates in own home

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I am potentially looking into the option of a childminder in my own home, M-F 1-6pm. One toddler - 2.5yrs and would ask to help out with light housework. What is a typical charge for this service in the Meath area?

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

to have a minder in your own home you need to register as employers,pay employers tax, pay at least min wage (usually about 10e ph though) so say if you were paying €9ph for 1-6 x5 days( 25hrs) is €225 per week then you pay the employers tax on top of that. You then need to give her payslip and her tax will be taken out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

to have a minder in your own home you need to register as employers,pay employers tax, pay at least min wage (usually about 10e ph though) so say if you were paying €9ph for 1-6 x5 days( 25hrs) is €225 per week then you pay the employers tax on top of that. You then need to give her payslip and her tax will be taken out of that

Above is correct in addition to which you will have to provide for holiday pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Or you could just pay off the books as it were, general rates we were given was €10 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

bladespin wrote: »
    Or you could just pay off the books as it were, general rates we were given was €10 per hour.

Hummnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

My mum gets around 150 a week, one child 9yrs, no housework expected of her, from 2:30-6pm Monday-Friday (most evenings she's in some club or other) so my mum just has to collect her and bring her home and watch her for about an hour. Don't know if this is good or bad, just sharing a similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vego wrote: »
    Hummnnnn

Whatever way you want to look at it, 9 times out of 10, these jobs will be cash in hand.
    I'm not one who supports the black economy but expecting families to have to employ accountants etc just to handle the baby sitter is a only going to end in the majority going under the table with payments.

Hummnnnn

I'm going to have a lot of work to do if we want to go out for a night over the Xmas, imagine having to set up the baby-sitters on PAYE :rolleyes:

I'm going to have a lot of work to do if we want to go out for a night over the Xmas, imagine having to set up the baby-sitters on PAYE :rolleyes:

Big difference between a babysitter and a child minder,

Do what ye want but I find telling someone to do it on boards a bit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

mickdw wrote: »
    Whatever way you want to look at it, 9 times out of 10, these jobs will be cash in hand.
    I'm not one who supports the black economy but expecting families to have to employ accountants etc just to handle the baby sitter is a only going to end in the majority going under the table with payments.

No need for an accountant, payroll service will do for about €50 to €100 per year. Pretty small amount to pay when the alternative of a revenue inspection could cost thousands and a conviction under the payment of wages act.

Big difference between a babysitter and a child minder,

Do what ye want but I find telling someone to do it on boards a bit ....
    Don't recall telling anyone to do anything TBH.
    paul71 wrote: »
    No need for an accountant, payroll service will do for about €50 to €100 per year. Pretty small amount to pay when the alternative of a revenue inspection could cost thousands and a conviction under the payment of wages act.

Have never heard of that happening, not discounting the possibility but I'd imagine it would be pretty unlikely.

• Advertisement

Don't recall telling anyone to do anything TBH.

Oh my mistake it just really looked to me that you did

Oh my mistake it just really looked to me that you did

Apology accepted, we can all read posts a little quickly and react.

I made no recommendation not did I tell anyone to do anything, merely pointed out an option that was given to us several times.

Apology accepted, we can all read posts a little quickly and react.

I made no recommendation not did I tell anyone to do anything, merely pointed out an option that was given to us several times.

an illegal option

an illegal option

Still an option though, like everything in life there's always more than one way.

There are far greater crimes TBH, a definite case of making mountains out of molehills there Vego :p

Advertisement