Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB trails Slieve Blooms

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading down to the Slieve Blooms with the MTB over the next few weeks. Anyone been to the area? Are there any marked trails?
    Does anyone have any garmin routes saved?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Donie75 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading down to the Slieve Blooms with the MTB over the next few weeks. Anyone been to the area? Are there any marked trails?
    Does anyone have any garmin routes saved?
    Thanks.

Not 100% sure, never been but Slieve Bloom .ie says they are planning an MTB trail so I assume there are routes there being used already

Trailbadger.com would be worth a look to see if any trails have been put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, never been but Slieve Bloom .ie says they are planning an MTB trail so I assume there are routes there being used already

Trailbadger.com would be worth a look to see if any trails have been put up.

and have a rummage around on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I spotted this good news on FB this morning... Seems that progress is being made.
    http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/planning-approved-part-slieve-bloom-mountain-bike-trail/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/slievebloommountainbiking

Hopefully the NIMBY gang don't lodge an appeal.

Proposed map of the trails on the Kinnitty side http://www.offaly.ie/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=108888&format=jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

xxyyzz wrote: »

Link seems to be broken :confused:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Link seems to be broken :confused:

I don't think it works on mobile

I don't think it works on mobile

Just aswell I'm on a pc so.

Oh wait... :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just aswell I'm on a pc so.

Oh wait... :D

Call tech support because it works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 23 woky83

Has anyone any info on the delay with the slieve bloom project? The first stage was to be finished by may. I ride there regularly and I have not seen any sign of work starting on the trails and does anyone have a map of the proposed trail layout thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Coillte - 'nuff said.

I've heard it is out to tender and will be lucky to start in May. To be honest with their track record I'm not holding my breath that it will ever get off the ground.

http://www.offaly.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/1687/0

Click on the View Scanned Files button, click agree and a list of documents are available. One of them is the trail map.

By the time this all goes through planning and consultancy they'll be lucky if there's the budget for a pump track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Pity there's a delay with this - was looking forward to spending some days there in the summer.

On a side note I've heard the one in Sligo should be open by September/October.

Tenders have been in since December and all the planning is done,they were felling trees up there lately and in the areas were the trails will be going so maybe it wont be that long,fingers crossed

Hopefully, I think it was back in 2011 that Coillte released their offroad cycling strategy document and they haven't built a single thing MTB related since then apart from the tech loops in Ballyhoura.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hopefully, I think it was back in 2011 that Coillte released their offroad cycling strategy document and they haven't built a single thing MTB related since then apart from the tech loops in Ballyhoura.

That was published in the "Fiction" section I believe!

A pure PR exercise...

Coillte's priorities are:

1. Clear felling forests
    2. Producing trees for paper products
    3. Profit
    4. end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That was published in the "Fiction" section I believe!

A pure PR exercise...

Coillte's priorities are:

1. Clear felling forests
    2. Producing trees for paper products
    3. Profit
    4. end.
    5. selling sites
    6. Selling hunting rights (with p1ss poor assessment of risks to public)
    7. Being a private company when economy is on up and public when it comes to pay/performance/pensions

FYP

ford2600 wrote: »
    FYP

Can't disagree with you there!

They are actually using the document as a stick to beat any new suggested projects. Nothing gets built because the site doesn't meet the criteria in the document.

Also, Daffyd Davis was the only trail builder they would work with and when he got sick all projects were canned.

Iam surprised more private land owners haven't realised the potential of there land given the success of BPI and I will just have to keep riding the natural trails in the slieve blooms while iam waiting for collite to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

woky83 wrote: »
    Iam surprised more private land owners haven't realised the potential of there land given the success of BPI and I will just have to keep riding the natural trails in the slieve blooms while iam waiting for collite to sort it out

id assume the gap has also been very successful since its opening to, ive only been there once, its an astonishing setup there?

If we waited on Coillte there'd be no MTB'ing trails in Ireland..

Private operators are showing the way but it's an expensive thing to set up a bike park due to high insurance costs...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id assume the gap has also been very successful since its opening to, ive only been there once, its an astonishing setup there?

Yes, they have done great work on it, bringing a new generation into the world of MTB'ing...

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The GAP was always going to be a success been that close to Dublin but In my opinion I would say it's far from an astonishing setup, but the more places to ride the better. Have you been to BPI? That has an astonishing setup for such a small hill in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The GAP was always going to be a success been that close to Dublin but In my opinion I would say it's far from an astonishing setup, but the more places to ride the better. Have you been to BPI? That has an astonishing setup for such a small hill in the middle of nowhere.

fair point, i have indeed, many times in fact, but maybe im getting a little bored of it, and the gap is doing just something a little different. im just delighted both places exist, and i wish both business the best, sounds like theyre looking after each other as well, which is great to see.

To be honest if Coillte do build a trail centre in the Slieve Blooms it's hard to see it being anything other than another Ballyhoura, an awful lot of slogging with very little payoff. The current trails are probably better than anything Coillte will create. They'll always err on the side of caution.

To be honest if Coillte do build a trail centre in the Slieve Blooms it's hard to see it being anything other than another Ballyhoura, an awful lot of slogging with very little payoff. The current trails are probably better than anything Coillte will create. They'll always err on the side of caution.

Looking at the map of the trails it has Cat 3 and Cat 4 bike trails this iam hoping is in regard to difficulty level? I did hear at the start of the planning that the trails were going to have a difficulty grade out of 5 and that most would be a 3 or 4. The main advantage of a collite trail system will be how easy it will be to link existing trails and new ones and the ability for it to host MTB events like the biking Blitz and potentially some Enduro stuff and XC events

The tender has been awarded. Hopefully work will begin soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/slieve-bloom-bike-trail/
    It's a bit concerning that they are calling it a cycleway rather than trails.

• Advertisement

Donie75 wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/slieve-bloom-bike-trail/
    It's a bit concerning that they are calling it a cycleway rather than trails.

To be honest I never thought it was going to be anything other than an offroad greenway. I see now there's mention of amenities either end which would make it a point to point cycling trail. I think any ideas of a bike park wales set up were never going to materialise.

I'd say best case scenario this will provide good post ride amenities and ease off access to the locally built trails which will more than likely be destroyed in the build process.

Advertisement