Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB trails Slieve Blooms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's going to be along the lines of Ballyhoura or similar standard definitely 100% not a greenway. There will be 2 loops, one on the offaly side and one on the Laois side which will be joined by stretch of road. Check out the maps I posted earlier in the thread.

Coillte were never going to build a gravity bikepark.

Sticky bottle is written by a bunch of roadies, they have no idea what this centre entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd be happy with a ballyhoura style park. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd be happy with a ballyhoura style park. ��

I would say so, basically narrow fireroad or boardwalked trails, suitable for families of all ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ill believe it when i see it tbh, only way forward in this country is private imo

• Advertisement

They started working on it yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ill believe it when i see it tbh, only way forward in this country is private imo

Why? Ballyhoura works well so why not more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

xxyyzz wrote: »

Fantastic stuff - really looking forward to this one and the Sligo one opening - I hope there a massive success, those regions deserve it for putting these amenities in place (akin to the Waterford Greenway, Ballyhoura, Westport Greenway etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

This quote in the newspaper piece made me smile "[font=Roboto, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mountain biking is a year round activity and not weather dependent"[/font]

El Vino wrote: »
    mountain biking is a year round activity and not weather dependent"

That true at least...

• Advertisement

I hope they put a bit more flow into it than Ballyhoura, the brown loop is an awful slog with very little reward aside from the tech loops. Bikes have come on a long way since Ballyhoura was built. You can tackle almost anything on a trail bike these days, I hope they build the trails to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Slieve blooms will be mainly blue and green trails in their first phase

Sligo will be blue/red/black

So both will cater to a wide range of abilities.

I assure you there will be some really good, fun trails!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

more of the same would be lovely but coilte have a habit of talking a big game with regards to mtbing in ireland and then absolutely nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 woky83

I was up in the kinnity area of the Slieve blooms on Sunday with a friend on the mtbs and we came across 4 guys on scramblers, they were ripping around the fire roads and the natural MTB trails at one point we met them coming up one of the trails that we were going down,I even seen scrambler Tyre marks on the rooty walking trail down by the river that goes to the castle and I know I shouldn't be on it with the MTB either but there is a big difference. My issue is I don't want them making a **** of the natural MTB trails and bringing unwanted attention,iam not trying to be a spoil sport but there is surely somewhere better and safer for scramblers to rip around and iam wondering what other people think about this??????

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

woky83 wrote: »
    I was up in the kinnity area of the Slieve blooms on Sunday with a friend on the mtbs and we came across 4 guys on scramblers, they were ripping around the fire roads and the natural MTB trails at one point we met them coming up one of the trails that we were going down,I even seen scrambler Tyre marks on the rooty walking trail down by the river that goes to the castle and I know I shouldn't be on it with the MTB either but there is a big difference. My issue is I don't want them making a **** of the natural MTB trails and bringing unwanted attention,iam not trying to be a spoil sport but there is surely somewhere better and safer for scramblers to rip around and iam wondering what other people think about this??????

Are the natural mtb trails originally built by mountain bikers?
    If so I'd be reporting them as they would be making sh&*e of them, however with the new trail center trails going in there atm it might not be best to highlight any natural, unsanctioned trails as they more than likely would be shut down then.

woky83 wrote: »
    My issue is I don't want them making a **** of the natural MTB trails and bringing unwanted attention,iam not trying to be a spoil sport but there is surely somewhere better and safer for scramblers to rip around and iam wondering what other people think about this??????

Used to happen around the Dublin mountains that you'd have guys on scramblers making ****e of the place, though they also used to create a lot of the trails MTB'ers would use, until they built the official Coillte Ticknock trails, now you'd rarely see guys on Scramblers going around, partly because of the official trails and the fact that Coillte are clear felling most of the forests around 3Rock now..

Anyways... You can be guaranteed that the local forestry manager knows about all the unofficial trails already, any that exist close to what they are building will be fully blocked off like what they did in Ticknock...

It looks like Niall Davis from biking.ie is going to be involved in the project https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1975934442426317&id=139066222779824

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Used to happen around the Dublin mountains that you'd have guys on scramblers making ****e of the place, though they also used to create a lot of the trails MTB'ers would use, until they built the official Coillte Ticknock trails, now you'd rarely see guys on Scramblers going around, partly because of the official trails and the fact that Coillte are clear felling most of the forests around 3Rock now..
    They still are, I've come across them around Brown Mountain/ Aughavannagh and between the top of Glenmacnass and Sally Gap. imo, they do a lot of the damage attributed to mountain bikers around the Wicklow Mountains where people see the tread makes in the ground, which leads to Mountain Bikes being technically banned from a lot of the walking routes.

It looks like Niall Davis from biking.ie is going to be involved in the project

At least they have a MTB'er involved in the project, hopefully he will have some sway with the designer, last time Coillte used some pen-pusher to design the Dublin trails from what he watched on Youtube..

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They still are, I've come across them around Brown Mountain/ Aughavannagh and between the top of Glenmacnass and Sally Gap. imo, they do a lot of the damage attributed to mountain bikers around the Wicklow Mountains where people see the tread makes in the ground, which leads to Mountain Bikes being technically banned from a lot of the walking routes.

Banned from all of Coillte lands (apart from designated trails in Ticknock/Ballinastoe) and walking routes..

• Advertisement

It's no where near according to Niall so they should be alright. I think the biggest loser from the fire from a revenue point of view will be Coillte which could have a knock on effect on earlier logging in other commercial forests.

It's no where near according to Niall so they should be alright. I think the biggest loser from the fire from a revenue point of view will be Coillte which could have a knock on effect on earlier logging in other commercial forests.

You'll forgive me for not feeling in any way sorry for Coillte and their revenues :D. They have been the biggest roadblock to mtb in this country for the last 10 years.

You'll forgive me for not feeling in any way sorry for Coillte and their revenues :D. They have been the biggest roadblock to mtb in this country for the last 10 years.

I'd tend to agree but my fear is they start looking for the shortfall elsewhere and start tearing up established club trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'd tend to agree but my fear is they start looking for the shortfall elsewhere and start tearing up established club trails.

They've already done plenty of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 woky83

What does everyone think of the trails that are open in kinnity? I ride there a couple of times a week and I have seen a lot of changes to the trail, when it was first done it was a bit mad and I could see people getting hurt if they didn't know what they were doing and now it's at the point where they have changed alot of it again and it's just stupid now IMO, they have put in a section of switchbacks on it and it takes all the fun out of it they could have easily put in a big berm and it would have been fine Iam not sure what Davis was thinking off when he told the builders to do this.

Advertisement