Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stronghold Irritation

• 13-11-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I've just dosed my dogs with stronghold. One's fine, she just went back to sleep, but the other guy started to move around the room as if he was in pain. Then he came and sat by me and trembled and eventually joined the older lady on her bed (he never does this!) and is still curled up with her. He's had a similar, but less extreme, reaction before but I thought that maybe he didn't like the sound of the top popping. This time i was careful to pop elsewhere! So does anyone else's dog react like this, and is there a less irritating alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

One of my dogs is allergic to the advocate spot on. Within 10 minutes of application he went crazy scratching. It took weeks for his itching to subside. Ive read of other dogs having reactions like your dog did to spot on treatments. I just dont use any of them. I give them all an oral wormer and Ive never had any problems with fleas / ticks etc. and they are out walking daily in the country in fields/bushes and the likes. Personally I would only use those spot on treatments if I absolutely had to, I definitely wouldnt use them as a prevention. Too severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I give it to them because they are prone to skin irritations and as these clear after application I've kinda always thought that they must be prone to mites.... the younger one had very bad mange when I got him, and the older has bald spots which look like she has had some sort of irritation before I got her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What do you feed them? The itching/bald spots could be down to diet - eg storage mites. I use oral wormers too like maggiepip and don't bother with drops anymore.

Just did a quick read on storage mites and I definately think that it's worth looking at the way I store their food - I feed them Skinners - but I do see a difference, for the better, when I use the spot on. What I wonder is there another remedy for mites, I would be perfectly happy to worm them orally.

If the food is causing the mites then imo you need to looking at changing the food/the way you store it rather than firefighting with spot-ons which are harsh enough chemicals to be applying to your pet.

• Advertisement

I completely agree about the storage, and shall go and buy a storage container with a lid (any ideas where???) but, if this solution doesn't work, are there any - less harsh - alternatives to stronghold?

Id try boosting their immune system a bit - a good immune system can fight off some parasitic infestations and overall skin irritations - demodectic mange is the result of a compromised immune system --whereby the dog basically cant keep the mites at bay so they overpopulate. You could give coconut oil a try, I give it to my dogs every day and its great stuff, great for lots of things - skin, immune system, anti bacterial, anti parasitic, a natural antibiotic, aids digestion, helps arthritis...the list goes on lol! I give about a teaspoon and a half per ten kilos bodyweight so my 20 kilo collie gets about 3 heaped teaspoons in her food. Its worth a try anyway - Im not saying it will specifically prevent mites but it will improve the dogs health and skin. Gives a lovely shiny coat too. You can get a large jar on the virgin cold pressed type (which is the best to use) in supervalu for 5.99. The link below gives an overall view of its benefits:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

The Coconut oil suggestion sounds great. I will definately try it. Thanks

snoman wrote: »
    I completely agree about the storage, and shall go and buy a storage container with a lid (any ideas where???) but, if this solution doesn't work, are there any - less harsh - alternatives to stronghold?

I have this one and find it very good - i used to fit 15kg bags of food in when I fed dry food. Definetly cheaper options available but I was looking for something to fit into a specific space and this worked nicely...also I had vouchers! :p

Also woodies 20% off vouchers in Bargain Alerts so you may be able to get someting suitable and save a few €€€'s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

snoman wrote: »
    The Coconut oil suggestion sounds great. I will definately try it. Thanks

Ive been giving my dogs Organic Coconut Oil (Supervalu) as recommended by the guys on here. Have a terrier with skin irritations and a tricky digestive system/bowel. I would definately recommend it too! (Might just add, that when mixing it into the food, 1 of my lot if its in a 'lump' will leave it in the bowl, so its good to mix it in well/melt it even. Oh and its recommended that you introduce it gradually building up to the 'correct' 'dosage') Ive stopped giving my dogs any spot on medication - one had a v.serious reaction to it (he's old and had been ok with spot on stuff over the years) - its very harsh so Ive stopped using any spot on meds on any of them since...

• Advertisement

The name of the one in supervalu is Cocowell Organic extra virgin coconut oil - cold pressed - thats the best type or similar. You can get cheaper ones but they are more processed and can be hydrogenated and arent nearly as good. The purer the better.

Just bought the coconut oil, and have given the first dose - very excited!!! Have held off on Argos bin, elegant tho it is! Will see if I can get a cheaper version at Woodies....... and if not I can use the voucher to get a chimney balloon.... can't lose really. Much thanks to all.

Advertisement