Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info course:Beatrice Translation & Tour Guiding Services

• 13-11-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm looking for a tour guide course in Dublín and I'll go for an interview to ask details about the course in Beatrice Translation & Tour Guiding Services. in Dublín.

Anyone did this course?
    Is it well organized, interesting?
    Is it worth paying the course (645 eur module 1 and 2)?
    Are there real job offers afterwards (in my case, spanish-english)?

Thanks!!
    Eva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Moved from forum requests

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I done that course years and years ago and I can't believe she is still on the go. We hade people on our course who not one single word of english and less than a month living experience in Ireland and they passed, sure thing first real tour came round and she was sacked by the tour operator because she didn't have a clue. List goes on and on. She doesn't have the best reputation in the business, but is not the worst either.
    Yes sure she gives you work after the course but keep in mind you will work for considerably less money than any qualified tourist guide, she get's part of the daily rate as commission.
    Also keep in mind you don't gain a professional qualification with that course, eg FETAC or HETAC rating.

As for the course, it's self learning, there is next to no classroom training, a few famtrips which are pretty far of from reality. Exam is a piece of cake. She needs guides with foreign language, so you will pass. I remember that one of the reading lists inculded Ireland for Dummies and this is simply not good enough for any professional guide. Before you even start the course your knowledge about Ireland should be extensive.

The thing is there is no proper regulation when it comes to Tourism Guiding in Ireland and it's a slap in the face for any qualified tourist guide. It's no good for the tourism industy, it's no good for yourself because you don't have protection and you can hardly cover insurace because you get less money if you go with her. Also keep in mind most tour operators will demand that you get public liabilty insurance and as a non AATGI member that comes with a hefty price tag.
    There is only one official National Tourist Guide course which at the moment is run in Portobello College, but that one is well under way and is only run once a year. You probably have to direct Failte Ireland directly as they have more info regarding local course and the Dublin Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EVADUBLIN78

Thank you so much for your message, I went today for the interview and she didnt convince me and now reading your message it really helps me.
    Yes, the one in portobello already started and the one in Dublinia (fas) its too long for me, 11 months, so Ill check in Failte another options.

Eva

Advertisement