Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to switzerland

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey guys, anyone move to Switzerland, (city) is the country nice to live in, is it as expensive or more as dublin? Is broadband good there? are there a decent amount of computer science related jobs there? And almost most importantly , who are the people?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hey guys, anyone move to Switzerland, (city) is the country nice to live in, is it as expensive or more as dublin? Is broadband good there? are there a decent amount of computer science related jobs there? And almost most importantly , who are the people?

Get yourself a copy of 'Living and Working in Switzerland' it should cover all the basics, that plus the Swiss government website should cover most of what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Very expensive, very beautiful, I beleive very beaurocratic (remember it's NOT EU) don't know about the computer jobs scene. Probably better off in the German speakign part.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SophieJo

I agree with better off the German part. I visited Zurich and it was really nice, smaller than expected, but nice. I live in Vienna and thought it's a quiet city, but Zurich was even quieter, I was there only during the day though. @Princess is right, that's the most expensive place I've ever visited, especially for food, so I'd suggest you to find yourself a work place before moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was in Geneva for a few days. It's a nice city but really really expensive. A lot more expensive than Dublin. To be honest I don't think id live there unless I was a millionaire tax exile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SophieJo

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was in Geneva for a few days. It's a nice city but really really expensive. A lot more expensive than Dublin. To be honest I don't think id live there unless I was a millionaire tax exile.

Exactly the same here. My heart hurt when I had to give 4 euro (5 CHF) for a bag of supermarket brand chips. But Geneva must be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I paid 3 euro for a 500ml bottle of water :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

To enjoy Switzerland and Geneva in particular you need to earn a Swiss salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. Switzerland is a fantastic place to live & work. I've been here almost 5 years now. In relation to your questions..

is the country nice to live in?
    From what perspective? The country itself is spectacularly beautiful. The people are very nice also. Initially, they can be reserved, but one you get to know them & make some friends - they are great craic.
    Facilities & services are also first class. Everything works - public transport, health service, you name it.

is it as expensive or more as dublin?
    It is generally more expensive than Dublin, however, Swiss salaries tend to compensate.

Is broadband good there?
    It really depends on where you are. In the cities - it is excellent. I cannot comment on smaller towns & rural areas. However, there is a massive fibre-optic rollout at the moment & basic packages for BB are for 50Mbps+. I am currently working on several projects related to this rollout. :)

are there a decent amount of computer science related jobs there?
    Best to do a search on available IT jobs in Switzerland to see for yourself. Anecdotally, there were 30,00 unfilled IT jobs here a couple of years ago. I don't know how true that is today.

And almost most importantly , who are the people?
    I don't quite understand your question.

If you are serious about working here - in IT, it is best if you have a second language - preferably German or French.

Advertisement