Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais level pay.. help :-(

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So I've been living in an apartment for a few months now.. I decided on getting prepaid power, I'm only 21 and have very little income, it's my first time renting a full apartment rather than a room and I'm having a baby in two months time.. The management company over my apartment block are useless in every Way. For two months, I've been asking for access to my meter for a reading. The electricity is with bord gais in a previous tenants name. Prepay power wanted to be present to get a current reading. I rang, Text e-mailed management a couple of times a week since last August.. Finally,I came home the other day and had been cut off. I landed at the office of management and just went crazy. They promised me a meter reading. When I rang prepay power they told be that bord gais would put in a refusal for me to be reconnected. So I rang bord gais.. First woman on the phone clearly presumed that I'd been taking advantage of the electricity being in another name, said she'd speak to their credit advisors and not to expect to be reconnected for at least a week and without throwing out every cent owed On account.. Which isn't in my name.. I rang back chancing my arm, second lady knew nothing of my previous phonecall and agreed to reconnect me straight away and put me on to level pay... No heating, fridge leaking without power and seven months pregnant I agreed.. What have I done?? How are they going to calculate my monthly payment considering I've no previous bills? My first payment is gong to be December third... How much can I expect to pay? What can they base it on, the previous tenants allowance? Will the arrears from previous account be put in on top of this? If I get prepay power put in before they even have a chance to send me the bill what will happen? Help please :-(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

< P >

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

No Idea about the arearrs but I do know they base the level pay on the previous occuppant if you have no history with them as I recently moved and this was what they were going to do for me. I had previously been on level pay with bord gais and used to pay €90 a month but obviously that was down to my usage. One word of warning I changed provider when I moved house and got caught for €300 with bord gais that was outstanding from the level pay despite the sales person from Airtricity telling me that I looked like I was in credit with bord gais.... I now choose to submit my readings as this way I can keep track of what I am actually using but I presume I may be caught for more than €90 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Did you get a meter reading???

I would avoid prepay power as they charge the normal rate without any discounts PLUS they have a charge every month for the meter which is about €13.

Get a meter reading and calculate roughly what that reading should be from when you moved in then ring bord gais with the reading and tell them you are not responsible for anything before this.

then get off the level pay plan as it is useless when they cant/wont read the meter every two months and when you dont have access to the meter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What have I done??

How are they going to calculate my monthly payment considering I've no previous bills?

My first payment is gong to be December third... How much can I expect to pay?

What can they base it on, the previous tenants allowance?

Will the arrears from previous account be put in on top of this?

Ring Bord Gais back and ask them these questions. They will answer them for you. Regardless of your situation they are VERY approachable.

And as foggy said, don't go near PrePay Power. Bord Gais may even put in a prepay meter, maybe.

Don'pt accept the arrears. It's not in your name and is the responsibility of previous tenant or landlord. Don't stress over it. It ani't good for the baba.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

foggy_lad wrote: »

then get off the level pay plan as it is useless when they cant/wont read the meter every two months and when you dont have access to the meter!

Without Level Pay, he'll have to pay a deposit. OP, hope you are aware of the reconnection charge for the electricity also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am I the only one who is has noticed that BG have broken the data protection act by discussing details on an account under somebody elses name and changing the account status from disconnected/reconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Cabaal wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is has noticed that BG have broken the data protection act by discussing details on an account under somebody elses name and changing the account status from disconnected/reconnected?
    How do you mean? Did they tell you the amount of arrears on someones account or something?

Advertisement