Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Council Housing List

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Everyone

Just looking for some advice. Myself and my boyfriend and our 2yr old son, have been living in a house in Meath since August this year. In September, my boyfriend (a 4th year Apprentice Electrician) was let go from his job, again...
    Im working in Dublin but had to take a pay cut (€2.35 per hour pay cut). I work around 21 hours one week, around 35 the next and so on. It varies.

We are currently paying €730 per month rent for this house. But just cannot afford it with bills etc and arrears and need to move out. We are moving in with my boyfriends family, but they are (understandably) not too keen on the idea, nor do they have much space. My son will be more or less in the bed with us while we are living there.

I am going to put our name down on the council housing list and was just wondering roughly how long it take or how it works. I dont think we have long to spend in my boyfriends familys house and there's no room at all for us in my family home.

Some Background:
    I'm 22, my boyfriend 23. 7 years together, living together since 18.
    First rental was €550 per month for 1 year
    Second was €675 per month for 10months
    Third was €950 per month for 8 months
    Fourth was €400 per month for 7 months (with relative)

We have had to move out of properties a few times due to my boyfriend losing his job, due to the lack of work in the trade. Each time we would go back to our parents house (seperately)
    We are in arrears with some bills and loans etc but I do make small payments regularly to try and keep on top of things.

We have tried applying for a mortgage with Dublin Co Council (as a mortgage on a property suitable for us is less than rent) but without the savings we basically just get laughed at.

Are we suitable for council housing? How long would it take? I dont want anything for free, we're very happy to pay our way.

sorry for the life story, just wanted it to be as detailed as possible for maximum info...

Also my boyfriend is now getting €188 weekly, Jobseekers Benefit.

thanks in advance

Advertisement