Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending away an iPad to apple for a replacement.

• 13-11-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience sending away an iPad to apple for a repair? My camera has stopped working all of a sudden for some reason and also the digitiser has been dodgy for quite a few months. I spent a while chatting to the apple support people this evening and they've offered me a replacement. They said they'd send me a box and a shipping label and within 5-7 days I'd receive the replacement. I've received a repair ID so it seems good to go. I know I'm answering my own question but forgive my overly suspicious Irish nature!

Any advice most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Wellyd wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience sending away an iPad to apple for a repair? My camera has stopped working all of a sudden for some reason and also the digitiser has been dodgy for quite a few months. I spent a while chatting to the apple support people this evening and they've offered me a replacement. They said they'd send me a box and a shipping label and within 5-7 days I'd receive the replacement. I've received a repair ID so it seems good to go. I know I'm answering my own question but forgive my overly suspicious Irish nature!

Any advice most welcome!

Used the same service for my wife's iPhone 4S after the upgrade to iOS 7 has rendered it a pile of p##h!
    It's all fine, they post you a shipping box with addressed bag, you call the courier number and arrange day to collect and they do just that. All fine just make sure you get the driver to sign the shipping booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Thanks Migworks! I was so suspicious for some unknown reason! I think it's because here when something under a warranty breaks and I want to get it repaired the shop usually grilled me and blamed me for the fault. It was actually very unusual for customer care to be very helpful and offer a resolution that suited me! I actually think the camera problems started when I downloaded ios7 about two weeks ago. I held out for so long against it and I said I'd try it on the iPad. Safely can say it's crap! My 4s shall stay iOS6 til it's death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I was so suspicious for some unknown reason! I think it's because here when something under a warranty breaks and I want to get it repaired the shop usually grilled me and blamed me for the fault.

In fairness to Apple they usually resolve issues quickly and repair or replace depending on the problem. I ordered an iPad a few yrs ago and got the gift wrapping option. Long story short it arrived Christmas week in a bet up box, when i opened the box, the gift wrapped box inside was ripped and marked, ipad itself was fine. I called up Apple, sent them some pics of it and without any argument refunded €20 to my card to get some more gift wrapping and credited €100 to my itunes account.

Yes whatever you do don't not upgrade the 4s to ios7 !

I actually got an apple tech guy to admit to me that while in theory the 4s should be able to run ios7, it's only in bare mode and with very little running on the device. Try using it as normal and the device heats up, causing all sorts of issues. Big ball drop by apple and I feel for those that are over the 1 yr warranty! If they do supply a new phone running ios7 and its still pants at working I'm going to push for them to replace with a 5. Least that's built to run the iOS 7 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Migworks wrote: »

I actually got an apple tech guy to admit to me that while in theory the 4s should be able to run ios7, it's only in bare mode and with very little running on the device. Try using it as normal and the device heats up, causing all sorts of issues. Big ball drop by apple and I feel for those that are over the 1 yr warranty! If they do supply a new phone running ios7 and its still pants at working I'm going to push for them to replace with a 5. Least that's built to run the iOS 7 !
    not having any problems with my 4s on iOS 7...

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    not having any problems with my 4s on iOS 7...

Then you might be one if the lucky ones!
    In fairness to Apple they shipped loads of 4s's and not everyone is getting the issues, though there are a lot on here and other forums complaining about it. The graphics chip is half the power over the 5 one, so when it try's to do the additional ios7 work it can't cope! If you turn off all your apps like GPS, find my iPhone, iCloud, updates, downscale graphics etc the phone works ok. But using the phone as normal (the wife lives on done deal, FB, gmail and candy crush) and it goes into regular slow mode, loses wifi button, crashes, loses flash sync, can't load messages, generally becomes useless. Several hard resets brings it back to life for a day it two then does it again.
    I had a 4s for two years, brilliant phone, but running ios6 only. No issues. But this one we got in April this year is just not what you'd expect from Apple. If you google ios7/4s/wifi issues there are plenty of write ups about this out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Migworks wrote: »

Really don't believe this.

My 4s has been running iOS 7 since Beta and now on full version and it has not had a problem. I probably find it slicker.

I'd say it's another un-iOS related issue with your phone. Things do break down you know as they get oldeer.

murpho999 wrote: »

My 4s has been running iOS 7 since Beta and now on full version and it has not had a problem. I probably find it slicker.

I'd say it's another un-iOS related issue with your phone. Things do break down you know as they get oldeer.

Nope it's ios7 related and apple tech have admitted so. What they don't know is if its hardware breaking down or software issues with ios7. Our 4S is a 16gb model but has 8gb free, but they acknowledged that the 4s is having to work flat out to run ios7 and that causes all the issues. If there not so many writing about it I'd say its just a bad phone, but there are lots complaining. Thing is I wonder if they used the same components inside the 4s from 1st production to now? Could be a particular batch has the issue? All I know is the phone was fast and brilliant until ios7 and now it's not :0(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Wellyd wrote: »

Any advice most welcome!

Had a problem with the Mic on my IPAD mini - called apple up and gave them all the details that afternoon UPS came out to me with an empty box to place the device in that was a Monday by Friday I had a brand new Ipad mini in my hand. Pays to spend the extra for Apple products as there after sales service is excellent.
    Thats my 2 dollars worth anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

+1. If you have a genuine problem with an Apple product their service is fantastic. You'll have a new (refurbished) iPad in your hands in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

murpho999 wrote: »

Same here. 4, 4s, iPad 2 all fine with OS7. What Apple Tech support would know about the hardware capabilities of products could be written on a stamp. And yes, I used to work there.

Advertisement