Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting pregnant

Options
  • 14-11-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

Me and my boyfriend are trying to get pregnant. I have been off the pill for about 4 months now but prior to that my periods were quite irregular, I'm getting quite worried that I'm not going to be able to have kids as I also have PCOS.

I was convinced I was pregnant this month but then I got my period a week early....thought it might be spotting but then got cramps and did a test that came back negative :(( I would love any advice to reassure myself that I can have children some day. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Are you using ovulation predictor tests or anything? If not, do. You may think you ovulate at a certain day and you could be completely off with your estimations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have PCOS and also have an almost seven month old daughter, genuinely no reason to think you will never had kids.

I spent 10 years worrying I would never have children which was a waste of ten years. We were never overly competent with birth control so that added to my worry but once I got serious about having children and got serious with my diet and exercise it didn't take us long to get pregnant. I have also been seeing an endocrinologist for years and have been taking glucophage but he reckons the meds had nothing to do with me getting pregnant and it was mostly down to me getting healthier and more positive. (I took up running in the months before I got pregnant and I swear this had something to do with it).

Read up all you can about PCOS, it is not the diagnosis it once was ( or at least was when I was 17!). You have a diagnosis so something to work with. There are so many couples out there with unexplained infertility, at least you can be proactive about your health and hopefully you won't be long trying to conceive at all.

I know I hated hearing this but 4 months is no time at all in the fertility world. Most "healthy" couples take an average a year to conceive. My endo did tell me he would start investigating after 6 months if we were having problems (that was just a precaution though)

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I have PCOS and since I was 16 told I wouldn't have kids and the only thing I could try was IVF. That said after I got married (6 weeks later) I was pregnant with my son I was on Clomid but it's not exactly IVF so it was a big step up. My sons 7 months old now and I'm 4 and half months pregnant again. This happened totally naturally much to my surprise. My recommendation is to temp that's all I did when I got pregnant first time. I knew I ovulated and been my temp stayed up after I knew to test and there it was. You can get a chart and thermometer from boots. As was said to me 'what's ment for you won't pass you by'

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Havetoknow

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Are you using ovulation predictor tests or anything? If not, do. You may think you ovulate at a certain day and you could be completely off with your estimations.

Ye I did the ovulation test on Saturday so we've being trying since then as it came back that I was ovulating.
    Fingers crossed it's worked this time :)) thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 27 velvet rose

i just found out that i have pcos was ttc for over a year with irregular periods.
    started to bbt two months ago the first month it was totally erratic def no ovulation but the second month there is a definite pattern that i ovulated but during the couple of months i started using the treadmill as well about 3-4 times a week. just did a preg test and got a faint positive. i definitely think it was the small bit of exercise that got me to ovulate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement