Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to cancel my KNOWHOW COVERPLAN insurance that I took out on my laptop

Options
  • 14-11-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was stupid enough to sign a contract for this because the first two months were free. I forgot to cancel it before I got my first charge for the service which cost me €7.50. I looked up their website and emailed them telling them I wanted to cancel the subscription about a week ago. I still haven't recieved a reply. There is no info on their website about how to cancel the subscription. If you have any idea what I should do please help me out here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

How do you pay for it?

If DD, cancel DD in writing with your bank. However a simple change of reference number can still allow them to get the DD through. If this happens you need to contact your bank again and state that you had closed the DD and your letter will be that proof. Depending on your bank some can give you a receipt showing you have cancelled it.

If its paid via debit card, then you need to cancel your card and get a new one to be 100% sure. You can start a charge back for it but sometimes they are more hassle than its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cancelling the card does not stop a recurring transaction. The charge can be passed on the new card, if what has been signed up for is a continuous thing.

A chargeback can't be initiated because a cardholder "forgot" to cancel something.

OP: Assuming this is the Currys/PC World service, have you tried calling them? There's a number here (https://knowhow.com/contact-us-ie.aspx?country=ie) that may be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Cancelling the card does not stop a recurring transaction. The charge can be passed on the new card, if what has been signed up for is a continuous thing.

:confused:

If the 16 digit card number no longer is valid how can a company get the payment processed on a new card? Its what I've advised before and it does work. Could this be a bank to bank variance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You have a card number, which can change (as can the expiry etc) but the agreement is in place to bill the account. The card is simply the "tool".

For payments set up as recurring (i.e subscriptions etc), the card issuer is obliged to pass the charge on to the new card in order to provide continuity of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What does your contract say? Does it allow you to cancel at any stage?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There should be a number on the documentation you received for it. You can call that number and cancel it.

Advertisement