Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in cycle lanes

• 14-11-2013 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Don't Do It!

1. Its illegal to pass a car on the left unless he is turning right
    2. don't break a solid white line
    3. Cars are not expecting you to be there
    4. if a garda car, ambulance or anything with a siren comes down the road, guess where the car is going to go? Answer:
    right on your face!
    5. it SERIOUSLY pi$$es cyclists off (as an occasional one, I can confirm this)
    6. when you pass a car driver on the left, and I pass him on the right - he/she gets a fright and resentment grows toward motorcyclists.
    7. if you have an accident, I wouldn't have much faith in a judge coming to your rescue.
    8. if you go about saying "oh yeahhh buddddyyyy... all cages are out to kill ya"* and then drive in cycle lanes, your a moron.

/rant.

* - separate rant, all cars are not out to get you, giving learners this idea is bad news, they are not all out to get you, motorcyclists just have to understand the limitations of a car driver, bikes move in milliseconds, cars in seconds. accident prevention is the key to a motorcyclist's longevity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

its not illegal to pass a car on the left (if the left lane is travelling faster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Corkbah wrote: »
    its not illegal to pass a car on the left (if the left lane is travelling faster)

This is not 100% true, this line was put into the rules of the road for when traffic on a dual carriageway is backed up, when the crawling starts, it would be illegal to for the left lane to move if the right lane was stationary - hence the wording in the rules of the road "slowly"

Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is
    moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

Rules of the road - page 52.

jameshayes wrote: »
    This is not 100% true, this line was put into the rules of the road for when traffic on a duel carriageway is backed up, when the crawling starts, it would be illegal to for the left lane to move if the right lane was stationary - hence the wording in the rules of the road "slowly"

so…. if left lane is moving faster (i.e. in traffic) I'm correct …. it is legal to pass on the left.

there is always an exception to the rule in irish laws !! (usually its for those who have money and/or access to knowledge of the law)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Nothing wrong with using the quality bike corridor.

??? never heard of it …or are you making fun of the Quality Bus corridor (i.e.. Bus lane)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is not 100% true, this line was put into the rules of the road for when traffic on a dual carriageway is backed up, when the crawling starts, it would be illegal to for the left lane to move if the right lane was stationary - hence the wording in the rules of the road "slowly"

Rules of the road aren't law, they are an interpretation of the law which they say in one of the first few pages. The statue book is the law.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Rules of the road aren't law, they are an interpretation of the law which they say in one of the first few pages. The statue book is the law.

That post is a little pickey - if you want to go the law book, it further alienates driving in cycle lanes, more so than the rules of the road.

"use of cycle tracks
    16.—(1) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) shall not drive wholly or partly along or across a cycle track."

and:

"(4) Notwithstanding paragraph (3) of this bye-law, a driver may overtake on the left—

(a) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled his intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after having overtaken, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

(b) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after having overtaken, to turn left at a road junction and has signalled this intention,

(c) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

* - separate rant, all cars are not out to get you, giving learners this idea is bad news, they are not all out to get you, motorcyclists just have to understand the limitations of a car driver, bikes move in milliseconds, cars in seconds. accident prevention is the key to a motorcyclist's longevity

As for this, while its not 100% true this attitude is the same for many people who drive bikes and I am one of them. It helps my "longevity".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Spot on. A nice long empty lane to pass out cars? Crazy not to use them imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

so…. if left lane is moving faster (i.e. in traffic) I'm correct …. it is legal to pass on the left.
    The cycle lane is not a separate traffic lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

EH no. The "lane" you are referring to is a bicycle lane. The clue is in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm probably guilty of using it to filter to the top of lights past a handful of cars, but to drive in it full stop is a bit foolish - regardless of the legal issues.

Like you say you have zero outs if something goes wrong. A pedestrian steps off the path or a car moves into the cycle lane and there you are smack bang with nowhere to go.

If it's done sensibly and doesn't affect other road users then I don't see a huge problem with it, I certainly wouldn't be worried about pissing off a cyclist. The majority of cyclists I see on the road are either colour blind or just don't know what a red light means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cyclists cycling through red lights, against the flow of traffic, no lights on etc etc piss me off ~ I really don't care for their opinions when I use a cycle lane to filter..

In winter when the roads are wet & greasy the red grippy cycle lanes are great for wheelies ~ no wheel spin :D

Vikings wrote: »
    If it's done sensibly and doesn't affect other road users then I don't see a huge problem with it, I certainly wouldn't be worried about pissing off a cyclist. The majority of cyclists I see on the road are either colour blind or just don't know what a red light means.

I had a bandit 600 drive behind me from harolds cross to portobello last week while I was cycling, it really really pi$$ed me off, I (very politely) told him that he'd be better off driving on the outside but he shrugged me off and told me he was within his rights to drive there, wouldn't listen to reason.

Cyclists cycling through red lights, against the flow of traffic, no lights on etc etc piss me off ~ I really don't care for their opinions when I use a cycle lane to filter..
    Grand so, I'll make a habit of filtering to the front and stopping in front of motorbikes. You know, since all motorcyclists break the law, I don't care for their opinion.

TBH, I use them all the time and never had any problems except once, but that was just an arsehole cyclist.
    As viking said, if you're not getting in the way of other road users, or driving up their arse, what's the problem? Going down a cycle lane and ending up blocking it cos a car is to far over to the left would be the worst you can do. And in all my years of driving in cycle lanes, that's never happened me. I wouldn't go into the cycle lane if it was blocked, or I'd pull back into traffic before I got to the blockage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I am an occasional footpath user, when the cycle lane is blocked by pesky pushbikes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

seamus wrote: »
    Grand so, I'll make a habit of filtering to the front and stopping in front of motorbikes. You know, since all motorcyclists break the law, I don't care for their opinion.

Do what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've a lot of respect for cyclists and look out for them when I'm driving with them. I'll use my horn to warn off traffic moving in on top of them and never rush them when I'm driving behind them. I keep my distance and politely move aside when ever stuck in traffic to let them past.

Equally when in the bus lane I give way to any busses and will let them pull out when ever I can.

I've never had any issue in Dublin city center with cyclists. I've recorded 100's of hours of GoPro footage in the past and never once thought that maybe I should keep a few clips of cyclists being stupid. Yes they make can mistakes and some don't obey the rules of the road. But a lot of them seem to have a head on their shoulders and respect the other two wheelers out there.

When a guy fell off his bike on a round-about I was the only one to stop and help him up. I arrived 2min after he fell off. Bit of blood and bruising. Not one car driver stopped to help him. One car almost drove over his bike wheel while I was helping him onto the path.

Once all two wheelers respect each other and recognise each others unique abilities and requirements then really there's no problem with us all filtering through cycle lanes,bus lanes and lane splitting together.

There doesn't need to be a war about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I've a lot of respect for cyclists and look out for them when I'm driving with them. I'll use my horn to warn off traffic moving in on top of them and never rush them when I'm driving behind them. I keep my distance and politely move aside when ever stuck in traffic to let them past.

Equally when in the bus lane I give way to any buses and will let them pull out when ever I can.

I rarely use the cycle lanes myself, only if traffic is at a total standstill and not looking to move any time soon. When I do use them I would be the same as yourself. I go at a pace that is slightly slower than the average cyclist if I am following one, trying to keep revs to a minimum so they don't feel I am trying to rush them or anything. Try and keep my distance too. If I see a cyclist coming close behind me I will move over at my earliest opportunity and let them pass.

Other than that I tend to use the lane to get to the head of a queue if I am near enough the top.

Only time I do pass on the left other than the above is on Capel Street, where traffic naturally leaves a gap on the left for cyclists, and they stay almost fully to the right.

Most of the time I will stay in traffic unless it is at a standstill/gridlock as I am rarely in that much of a hurry to get anywhere. Allows me time to watch the world go by as well, not to mention the pretty women. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Youd better not get in my way...i'll kick u the fcuk off it............:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Um, is it not illegal to drive in a dedicated cycle lane anyway? (solid white line)

I used the broken line lanes a few times before alright to filter up to lights

Do what you like.
    I probably should, clearly everyone else is, to hell with the law...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Are we talking about actual real cycle lanes with proper signage and markings that fulfills the legal requirement here or just places where a few broken lines are lashed down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

The OP's post is typical non-realistic idealist bullcr*p, usually said from one type of road user to another. "Filtering" is a grey area of the law. It's neither legal nor illegal, (nor even mentioned in law) as far as I know. If we can't overtake on the left, under safe circumstances, then neither should cyclists when there is no cycle lane. No?

Driving in cycle lanes where there is a broken white line, is legal if filtering and safe. No?

Dangerous driving is illegal. It's not always dangerous, nor illegal, to filter up the left or in between cars.

Just don't be a ****1ng di<k. All road users have their fair percentage of twats and I genuinely believe motorcyclists have a much less % than cyclists and motorists (and I'm on a bicycle as much as I'm on the motorbike, and I drive a car, so I'm not biased to any particular group).

I'll say one thing though; if car drivers checked their mirrors when they should, a lot of the world's problems would disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

rat_race wrote: »
    The OP's post is typical non-realistic idealist bullcr*p, usually said from one type of road user to another. "Filtering" is a grey area of the law. It's neither legal nor illegal, (nor even mentioned in law) as far as I know. If we can't overtake on the left, under safe circumstances, then neither should cyclists when there is no cycle lane. No?

Driving in cycle lanes where there is a broken white line, is legal if filtering and safe. No?

Dangerous driving is illegal. It's not always dangerous, nor illegal, to filter up the left or in between cars.

Just don't be a ****1ng di<k. All road users have their fair percentage of twats and I genuinely believe motorcyclists have a much less % than cyclists and motorists (and I'm on a bicycle as much as I'm on the motorbike, and I drive a car, so I'm not biased to any particular group).

I'll say one thing though; if car drivers checked their mirrors when they should, a lot of the world's problems would disappear.

A driver is permitted to cross the broken line of a cycle track. He/she is not permitted to "drive along the cycle track".
    Filtering is a legal grey area. It is not specifically legal - but it is "driving".
    So .. no, it is not legal to drive in a cycle lane.

Safe? Well safe filtering is a subjective judgement. There is an increased level of risk with filtering, which I'd suggest is increased further when filtering on the nearside.
    In the event of a collision a motorcyclist will be usually be allocated blame (partial or total)

I don't see how the number of twats per mode of transport is relevant - except maybe to note that the other fellow is always the twat.

rat_race wrote: »

I actually laughed out loud at this response.

Unrealistic? How is it unrealistic not to drive in a cycle lane - its pretty easy to avoid. Glasses can help with this, laser eye surgery works also.

Grey area? Not so much by what the RSA say, they discuss it in their this is your bike publication. By the letter of the law, yes - there is not much in the law that mentions filtering.

Filtering = overtaking = cycle lane? no, OVERtaking, not UNDERtaking. And going by one of the points in the RSA publication, and a note a poster made on this thread "contingency plan" squashed between a 150mm curb and a car, there is no contingency.

I drive a car, bike and I cycle - Bike to work, approx 200 days per year, car drives me around after work & weekends and I occasionally cycle to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

It is one of my pet hates, no-body expects a motorbike to come whoring past them in the bicycle lane, and as far as I am aware you can incur penalty points from doing so. Having said that, I will use it to filter past a couple of cars - slowly and carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I had a bandit 600 drive behind me from harolds cross to portobello last week while I was cycling, it really really pi$$ed me off, I (very politely) told him that he'd be better off driving on the outside but he shrugged me off and told me he was within his rights to drive there, wouldn't listen to reason.

My policy is live and let live.

I bike because it's fun, and also because it's efficient. There is this one bottleneck part on my commute route where I usually nip into cycle lane to get past built up traffic. I check for cyclists before moving in as anyone would normally do. If there are no cyclists ahead, I would move ahead while watching out for jaywalkers. If there are cyclists, I let them pass and ride behind them matching their speed. Why should a cyclist like yourself get annoyed about this? I am not blocking them, and I am not rushing them.. so what exactly is the problem?

PS: There was this one time when I was cautiously moving forward on the cycle lane (traffic was crazy) a wannabe racer flies up behind me and gets annoyed that I held him back for all of 5 meters, taps on my shoulder and points the cycle lane, curses at me and rides straight thru red lights. Poor guy, slave to his emotions and all that. I pitied him and drove off.

• Advertisement

I probably should, clearly everyone else is, to hell with the law...
    Ever drive in bus lanes? Cos that's against the law too.

Advertisement