Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IGN Artcle about broken ps4's

Options
  • 14-11-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭

I just hope this doesn't happen over here

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Update: IGN has received a detailed account of one PS4 “Play the Future First” winner’s broken console experience so far. As of time of publishing this, Arogon (Reddit username), a 23-year old man in Maryland, will not be receiving a working PlayStation 4 before launch. That was to be his special prize…until the console showed up dead on arrival at 11AM ET. The console would turn on, accompanied by a pulsing blue light (it should glow white) – but it would not output a signal to the television.

MOD EDIT: Please don't copy and paste entire articles, it's illegal and not fair on the writer. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I read that the guy that streamed on twitch plugged out hard drive while the console was on live on twitch
    plugged it straight out of the wall while playing a game .
    This was all on reddit btw
    So I dunno how true it is

If it freezes up surely theres a certain protocol to follow to insure you dont brick your system.

maybe next gen freezing needs a bit more patience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its a major hardware launch. There are going to be a few duds, and its the risk you take being an early adopter. We won't know if this is a widespread issue, until tomorrow and over the weekend, as people in the US get there PS4s. If it turns out to be widespread, at least those of us in Europe will have the opportunity to cancel our pre-orders and wait till the issues are sorted, or you can risk it, and if its faulty get a refund (unlikely to get a replacement this side of X-mas, would have to send it back to Sony otherwise).

So the American's are basically guinea pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah. This is why a 2 week delay for us is actually good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yeah. This is why a 2 week delay for us is actually good

not really, you're getting the exact same hardware, with the exact same minuscule chance of anything going wrong. the failure rate is pretty bloody impressive so far -a lot lower than you'd expect to see for something like this

though obviously that might change in the next 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

COYVB wrote: »
    not really, you're getting the exact same hardware, with the exact same minuscule chance of anything going wrong. the failure rate is pretty bloody impressive so far -a lot lower than you'd expect to see for something like this

though obviously that might change in the next 48 hours

Same hardware , but sony would have had 2 weeks of dealing with issues and have locked down their procedures by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

phill106 wrote: »
    Same hardware , but sony would have had 2 weeks of dealing with issues and have locked down their procedures by then.

but the amount of pre produced product would still have to hit the market…. would take them more than 2 weeks to resolve the issue, and start production on new product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

I think the procedure is locked down at this stage, if it breaks send it back but youll be waiting for replacement

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wasn't the failrate something like 0.4%? That's a very acceptable failure rate for any mass-produced electronic device. Obviously it's a p*sser for those with failing machines but anything below 1% is normally considered acceptable. Compare this with the 360 which had a fail rate of anywhere from 23% to 54% depending on surveys.

Of course there are going to be dud machines but unless something changes this is a non-story and nothing to be concerned about regarding design/quality.

I'm certainly not concerned anyway like I was with the last gen. (I got a 360, it died, replacement died, got a PS3)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Seems odd though, if it was a group of individual workers, surely the quality control checkers at the end would have caught the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Hmm.

This post caught my attention
    " http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/foxconn-intern-student-in-yantai-china-claimed-to-make-bad-ps4-consoles-thee-months-ago.453522435/page-2#post-483979525"]Foxconn intern student in Yantai China claimed to make bad ps4 consoles thee months ago "

I'm actually starting to think that the best move is for me to pay off my console and leave it in the shop for a week or two so I can see how other customers in Eire are getting on.

Although ,He does say that he was making a PS3 and that it was a " UK version" ,the PS4 is not region coded ???.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

phill106 wrote: »
    Seems odd though, if it was a group of individual workers, surely the quality control checkers at the end would have caught the issue?

They usually only check a few from a batch, if they find a fault in the sample then they'll check a few more.

The problems seem to be from the start so it's not something that would be missed by testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

http://kotaku.com/ps4-failure-rate-is-less-than-1-sony-says-1467673544

Sony: "The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction. We understand the frustration of consumers that have had a problem and are working with them and our retail partners to help troubleshoot issues and ensure affected units are exchanged."

Bit of good news at least, rrods on 360 were running at 50% at one stage, happier now

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm actually starting to think that the best move is for me to pay off my console and leave it in the shop for a week or two so I can see how other customers in Eire are getting on.

Would the shop hold onto it. I've been told they will hold mine for 2 days. I am guessing they dont want unclaimed consoles cluttering the store room
    Although ,He does say that he was making a PS3 and that it was a " UK version" ,the PS4 is not region coded ???.
    :confused:

For Bluray movies and DVD's it will surely be region coded. Only the actual games will be region free.

Advertisement