Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2003 pst file

Options
  • 14-11-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a saved Outlook 2003 pst file which I moved to a different different XP Pro machine. When I open outlook my folders and address book are their but My email accounts are not. How do I get my email accounts to appear on the new machine?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have a save Outlook 2003 pst file and which I moved to a different different XP Pro machine. When I open outlook my folders and address book are their but My email accounts are not. How do I get my email accounts to appear on the new machine?

Run scanpst.exe in the Office directory in case the database is corrupted. Are you sure you backed up the pst storing the emails? Some users have multiple psts (sometimes in different directories) so I would always do a full files/folder scan for *.pst before wiping a machine. You'd probably be able to guess from the .psts file size if it has the emails stored in it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    Run scanpst.exe in the Office directory in case the database is corrupted. Are you sure you backed up the pst storing the emails? Some users have multiple psts (sometimes in different directories) so I would always do a full files/folder scan for *.pst before wiping a machine. You'd probably be able to guess from the .psts file size if it has the emails stored in it

Nick

Howys Nick,

I ran that scan & it reports the pst file is fine (never new that option existed).

I can tell from the pst file size that everything should be there.

The problem isn't my actual emails, it's my email accounts. I have 8 email accounts but outlook is showing I have none setup.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

your email accounts aren't stored in the pst, that's just your mail file.

outlook 2003 (afaik) doesn't have an option to backup/restore mail account settings, so you'll need to use something like this: http://www.backsettings.com/outlook-backup.html

Howys Nick,

I ran that scan & it reports the pst file is fine (never new that option existed).

I can tell from the pst file size that everything should be there.

The problem isn't my actual emails, it's my email accounts. I have 8 email accounts but outlook is showing I have none setup.

Sorry, I misunderstood :o . I cannot remember if the psts actually store the email account data either. Could you not manually re-add the accounts? You can continue using the current pst as well.

Nick

Sorry, I misunderstood :o . I cannot remember if the psts actually store the email account data either. Could you not manually re-add the accounts? You can continue using the current pst as well.

Nick

I can of course add the email accounts manually but I always thought that they were included in the pst file but maybe I'm mistaken on that.

• Advertisement

I can of course add the email accounts manually but I always thought that they were included in the pst file but maybe I'm mistaken on that.

I havn't had to do it in a while but from memory the pst files don't actually contain the account info, that is stored elsewhere. I have a script I run when backs up a computer, and also associated data (IE, Office, FF, Chrome et al.) which then scans the disk for psts and also saves the config data including accounts.
    When the machine is wiped it will then replace all the content, so I havn't had to mess about with psts acting up in a while

Nick

I havn't had to do it in a while but from memory the pst files don't actually contain the account info, that is stored elsewhere. I have a script I run when backs up a computer, and also associated data (IE, Office, FF, Chrome et al.) which then scans the disk for psts and also saves the config data including accounts.
    When the machine is wiped it will then replace all the content, so I havn't had to mess about with psts acting up in a while

Nick

That script sounds like a real time saver. I'll stick the accounts back manually so. For further backups, is there another file (pst or other) that I could\should have taken before I wiped that would have restored the email accounts too?

That script sounds like a real time saver. I'll stick the accounts back manually so. For further backups, is there another file (pst or other) that I could\should have taken before I wiped that would have restored the email accounts too?

I've no clue being honest with you how the Outlook accounts data is stored. The script I use is not free but called Fab's Auto Backup, it allows you to make a dump of the HDD with all the users personal folders (for all users on the machine) and also the associated web browser profiles, office items etc. It's a time saver alright, and license cost is quite cheap. It even does licenses like MS Office & Windows!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

PSTs will not save profile information only mails manually added to the PST. Due to corruption using the Windows Easy Transfer application it is always recommended to manually create the new mail profiles on your migrated system. Their are a number of third party apps that will assist with this also but i can cannot vouch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 syncmaster57

I have a saved Outlook 2003 pst file which I moved to a different different XP Pro machine. When I open outlook my folders and address book are their but My email accounts are not. How do I get my email accounts to appear on the new machine?

A .pst file has the data of your Outlook profile in terms of mails, folders, address book, and other items only. But for your email account, you need to configure it manually to new location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

A .pst file has the data of your Outlook profile in terms of mails, folders, address book, and other items only. But for your email account, you need to configure it manually to new location.
    no you don't. :)
    vibe666 wrote: »
    your email accounts aren't stored in the pst, that's just your mail file.

outlook 2003 (afaik) doesn't have an option to backup/restore mail account settings, so you'll need to use something like this: http://www.backsettings.com/outlook-backup.html

I've no clue being honest with you how the Outlook accounts data is stored. The script I use is not free but called Fab's Auto Backup, it allows you to make a dump of the HDD with all the users personal folders (for all users on the machine) and also the associated web browser profiles, office items etc. It's a time saver alright, and license cost is quite cheap. It even does licenses like MS Office & Windows!

Nick

Does that script backup & restore the email accounts too Nick? If it does it has to be getting them from somewhere?

Does that script backup & restore the email accounts too Nick? If it does it has to be getting them from somewhere?

It does yes, I think they live in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Outlook folder but not too sure.
    It backs them up at any rate

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Dear Friend,

backup is another program that can be performed to manage your PST file in better way. To know detailed information, just read the resource of Microsoft knowledge reference at:
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

I hope, it will be helped you as per need.

Regards:
    Jane

Advertisement