Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are ya..... Green&Red

Options
  • 14-11-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Next up in the series is a relative newbie to these pages, who is firmly lodged in the top three of the SBR challenge, racking up some impressive totals. But who is the person behind the username and the training numbers and what makes him (I think?) tick.................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What's your favourite colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

And I'll get it kicked off with, how did your season go? Do you feel you got the rewards your training numbers deserved? Is the plan for more of the same next year, and whats this rubbish about taking up cycling??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ASL?

Best achievement in tri?

Favourite race?

Worst racing cockup?

Favourite food?

How many hours do you sleep at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Not sure what I've done to deserve this but here goes.......
    tunney wrote: »
    What's your favourite colour?

Green

BTH wrote: »
    And I'll get it kicked off with, how did your season go? Do you feel you got the rewards your training numbers deserved? Is the plan for more of the same next year, and whats this rubbish about taking up cycling??

I was happy enought with the season, I felt it brought the results my training deserved. I know theres a lot of talk on the SBR challenge page about junk miles but for those of us taking up the three of them a lot of it I find is just getting used to running or swimming large amounts. I'd never ran before and found that by turning my warm up/down for sessions from 2k to 5k I found great improvements.
    Likewise with the swimming, greater numbers meant I came out of the water feeling a lot fresher this year.
    I had set out goals for 2013 and met almost all of them and more, so very happy.
    I'm undecided for 2014. I'm pulled from a will to do the RAS and on the other side to see how fast I can get at tri's. Time may be the ultimate decider, I help out on the farm, all the heavy lifting and it just disrupts training, especially the long hours you need for the bike at the weekend. But then I look at tris and wonder can I ever get near the 17 min 5k guys.

So ya, undecided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Green&Red wrote: »
    Not sure what I've done to deserve this but here goes.......

Green

....but what about red???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Was it the Galway Bay Cycling club you were with back in Galway - how did you find them, it is something I am looking at doing?

Did you and your red headed arch nemesis take up triathlon at the same time?

How much bogland have you got?

Whats the race plan for this year - is that race in Leenane taking over from Louisburgh?

Oryx wrote: »
    ASL?

Best achievement in tri?

Favourite race?

Worst racing cockup?

Favourite food?

How many hours do you sleep at night?

ASL?? :confused:

Best achievement - dont know that I've achieved anything yet. Had set my goal last year to podium in louisburgh and did that, so was happy, although there was no prize for second :rolleyes::mad:

Favourite - Hell of the west, loved the stormy swim this year, thought it suited a mucker like me. In general loved the torture. Great nite out as well

Cock-up - standing on the beach in Louisburgh stretching when the hooter sounded, started dead last, maybe 100m behind the pack

Food - love my food, savoury not sweet, one of the reasons I could never get skinny enough to compete! Love cooking too. I'll go with a fillet steak dinner, cooked rare, with corn on the cob and roasted sweet potato and beetroot on the side. But notable mentions to enchiladas, seafood chowder, meatballs and fresh fruit salad.

Anything really with food but I have worked on my portion sizes in the last couple of years, especially with carbs

I'm brutal for going to bed, 6/7 hrs most nites. I know that with more I'd recover better and improve. It'll be a new years resolution

ASL is Age Sex Location. 'Getting to know you' shorthand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

what category in racing are you A1,2,3,4.
    if > 2 are you going to upgrade yourself to get the harder racing for the Ras

and whats the general obsession with a red haired arch nemesis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great choice.

What's the stormiest sea you've swam in?

What do you hope you get your 400TT swim down to before May?

Best ever run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

What is your 5 year plan?

Coming into tri is always a strange experience with loads of questions seeming pretty ridiculous to people in it a while so what advice would you give yourself starting out? What would you think is the most ridiculous question you had when you first came into it?

Have you ever done a number two while out running? If so did you make the bushes? :P

Oryx wrote: »
    ASL is Age Sex Location. 'Getting to know you' shorthand. :)

I'm clearly not down with the cool kids

34, male, Dublin since April on a 12 month secondment, Galway prior to that. Mayo originally

catweazle wrote: »
    Was it the Galway Bay Cycling club you were with back in Galway - how did you find them, it is something I am looking at doing?

Did you and your red headed arch nemesis take up triathlon at the same time?

How much bogland have you got?

Whats the race plan for this year - is that race in Leenane taking over from Louisburgh?

Yes GBCC, found them brilliant, Nigel is a great man to have out on a cycle and their sessions are as sessions should be, take it easy to start out with, pick it up and then flat out to home. If you get dropped in the middle section you're in the wrong group. Found it very beneficial. Couldnt recommend them highly enough

The ging and myself did our first race together, although we were starting from very different bases. I had just learned to swim, I think he had been a pool lifeguard, I had never ran, he had a couple of marathons. He was a long way ahead of me until this year. I can beat him now on the swim and was ahead on the bike, although July was our last race, he'd eat me now. His running is in a different league.

4 acres of actual bog and another 96 of prime moy valley!

Not sure what the leenane race is. Louisburgh is ideal for me, if only the cycle was a little longer

BennyMul wrote: »
    what category in racing are you A1,2,3,4.
    if > 2 are you going to upgrade yourself to get the harder racing for the Ras

and whats the general obsession with a red haired arch nemesis

I'm A4 because I dont really know how you get points for races, and last year it was all connaught and mayo league races. Will probably sign up as A3, it saves me making any long term decisions on the RAS and helps me procrastinate

The ging passed me with a k to go in Louisburgh, something I dont think would have happened if I wasn't pr**king about on the beach when the race started. I gained revenge in kilkee and then he passed me not once but twice in transition in Ballina :( Transition is something I need to work on.
    All this happened in front of Catweazle, he knows the bitterness I hold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What do you think it will take to stay FOP or MOP in the Ras, power and watts per/kg?
    How far of a gap do you reckon you have to make up off that now?
    Does the RAS scare you:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great choice.

What's the stormiest sea you've swam in?

What do you hope you get your 400TT swim down to before May?

Best ever run?

Spiddal 2012, every stroke you were being pounded back into the sea, loved it

400TT - I honestly dont know, I dont really trust the 6.48 I posted in October, so I'd settle for that, 6.30 would be phenomenal

Best ever run - havent done that many, wouldnt even need to go to my toes to count them. Probably my 10k where I squeaked under 40 in Kilbride earler in the summer

Bambaata wrote: »
    What is your 5 year plan?

Coming into tri is always a strange experience with loads of questions seeming pretty ridiculous to people in it a while so what advice would you give yourself starting out? What would you think is the most ridiculous question you had when you first came into it?

Have you ever done a number two while out running? If so did you make the bushes? :P

5 year plan - I dont have one, am working on two concurrent plans, the RAS and trying to make a top 20 in a NS race. One could follow the other.
    In general terms I'd like to see how fast I can get, theres lots of talk from friends of going long, no thanks, when I get to a stage where I'm as fast as I can be at sprints/olympics then I'll look for something else

Swim more, it took me three years to cop on to that. A move to cork really helped with more open water swimming and gave me much more confidence.

Probably whether I could have a kayaker beside me for the whole race

No No. 2s while running, one slightly worse experience at a tri, with a bad dose and five trips to the toilet in advance of getting into the water. Turns out I needed six :(

What do you think it will take to stay FOP or MOP in the Ras, power and watts per/kg?
    How far of a gap do you reckon you have to make up off that now?
    Does the RAS scare you:)

Have to admit to not having a power meter, have been struggling to justify the investment. So FOP and MOP mean nothing to me

my FTP in March from memory was 285, off about 81kg.

In terms of gaps, judging myself purely on training with GBCC last year, maybe not that much to just hang in there. I've a lot of stubborness.

There is of course the chance that I'm deluding myself completely!

The RAS scares the crap out of me but having spoken to a friend at home who came from a similar background to make it in one year I got great confidence that I can do it in two. But like I say, time is the killer, last weekend had two spins planned, didnt even make the turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Green&Red wrote: »
    Have to admit to not having a power meter, have been struggling to justify the investment. So FOP and MOP mean nothing to me

my FTP in March from memory was 285, off about 81kg.

In terms of gaps, judging myself purely on training with GBCC last year, maybe not that much to just hang in there. I've a lot of stubborness.

There is of course the chance that I'm deluding myself completely!

The RAS scares the crap out of me but having spoken to a friend at home who came from a similar background to make it in one year I got great confidence that I can do it in two. But like I say, time is the killer, last weekend had two spins planned, didnt even make the turbo

Sorry FOP & MOP stand for front of pack/middle of pack. I would imagine holding 270w for 3 to 4 hrs would be required along with dealing with 1min-2min surges of 500w+. RAS is something i hope to do myself some year but a long way off that. I would imagine it would require a single bike focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry FOP & MOP stand for front of pack/middle of pack. I would imagine holding 270w for 3 to 4 hrs would be required along with dealing with 1min-2min surges of 500w+. RAS is something i hope to do myself some year but a long way off that. I would imagine it would require a single bike focus.

tbh, (slightly off thread) there is alot more than holding 270w for hours, there is bike skills needed to ride in a bunch at 50kph+, once maganged I image 200ish watts would keep you there.
    and there is a savage difference between an A4 race and an A1,2 if you are considering it you should be looking to ride a1 races to get used to the extra distance and speed.

so back on topic.
    money no object what bikes
    whats your sporting background.
    dancing on ice or xfactor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi G&R! :D

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh? (if that's not too rude...which compared to Bambaata's question about number 2.....:eek:;):))
    What part of Mayo are you from?
    How many bikes do you have, and could you tell us a little about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

20km bike PB?
    40km bike PB?
    5km run PB?
    10km run PB?

I'd agree on the bike handling skills, more to the point descending.
    I do realise its a huge jump but then it wouldnt be a huge deal if t wasnt and again maybe I'm deluding myself completely

BennyMul wrote: »
    so back on topic.
    money no object what bikes
    whats your sporting background.
    dancing on ice or xfactor

I'm pretty happy with my current steed, in fact a lot more than happy, its awesome, if i cant do it on that then I cant do it at all. I'll look at a new road bike for 2015, havent even considered it yet but I'd be happy to go back to Kelly's or BMC

Played football mainly, was lucky when I was younger to be involved with a club team to make an all-ireland. Was never good enough to warrant travelling home from college for it though. Spent maybe 10 years then playing on and off, without too much heed, was lucky enough to win a couple of things in Belfast but I'd say I never really got fully fit. For a couple of years either side of 30 I took it seriously, trained a team, selector but I suppose I found there was a big difference in a team that gets to an all-ireland and other teams, people knowing what it takes, the effort that it takes. Anyway between that and just being constantly sore I decided to learn how to swim and get into this lark. Hung up my boots, went back two years later to help out a friend for one match, ended up with back injury, sciatica, back surgery, that was December 2011. So that is definitely that, although I'd love a game.
    Tried my hand at soccer, rugby, basketball and enjoyed them all but no real talent

Wouldnt really watch that much telly but I like music so x-factor

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi G&R! :D

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh? (if that's not too rude...which compared to Bambaata's question about number 2.....:eek:;):))
    What part of Mayo are you from?
    How many bikes do you have, and could you tell us a little about them?

6ft, just!
    77kg as of this morning, i've been aiming for 75 for a while now

Outside Ballina

three at the minute
    A POS, raleigh, weights a tonne, for heading out for the nite, I despise it, i would pay someone to steal it I think. I have to get around to selling it but it is handy

Ned, bought almost five years ago to replace a trek which was robbed. What a great bike, at this stage everything needs replacing and I'd be better off just buying a new bike but I just love it too much

Molly, with a Zipp 404 and 808 combo, an absolute demon of a bike, although not great on the old tight turnarounds

EC1000 wrote: »
    20km bike PB?
    40km bike PB?
    5km run PB?
    10km run PB?

The bike PBs, I dont know. I'd be sub 30 for the 20k TT, dont know if I'd break the hour mark for 40k. 30:40 was my best tri 20k last year.

5k - 19.22
    10k -39.58

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Can you eat a heaped dessert spoon of cinnamon? No water allowed

Can you eat a heaped dessert spoon of cinnamon? No water allowed

If you do this quiz I'm gonna ask are you a COMPLETE NUTTER? Who does things like that?

G&R...
    What do you eat on the bike? (Not cinnamon I presume)
    Who would you most like to be stuck in a lift with?
    What is your party piece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What was the most fantastic journey you've had on motorised transport? Car, bus, plane, helicopter, chairoplane, whatever.

And what was the worst?

Advertisement