Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else feel like this?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone feel the same as me, i am 31 married with 3 young kids. Up until 2 years ago when i was made redundant i worked 11 hard years as a carpenter,if someone said to me 3 years ago about going back to college i would laugh at them. But with the way things have gone i have to provide a better future for my kids but also i need to follow my passion which is cooking(hoping to study culinary arts). My wife is also reinventing herself and she is currently doing a 1 year full time course,so for the year im a full time house husband(never thought i would say that)! Anyway as its time to apply for college next year i thought to myself i have been house bound so long now the thoughts of getting back out their and interacting with like minded people has me petrified! Don't get me wrong i can't wait to get started but does anyone else feel like there going to feel a bit socially awkward so to speak,or is it just me?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You aren't alone. Yesterday I was talking to an past student of one of our adult education centres who has just completed a degree in her mid-40's. She talked about how it took her until January of her first year before she felt like she belonged there. :D Her advice was 'feel the fear and do it anyway'!

If you are studying something you like you will have things in common with your classmates. Also chances are there may be other mature students on your course, certainly there will be within the faculty and wider college so you won't be alone in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

bizzyb wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone feel the same as me, i am 31 married with 3 young kids. Up until 2 years ago when i was made redundant i worked 11 hard years as a carpenter,if someone said to me 3 years ago about going back to college i would laugh at them. But with the way things have gone i have to provide a better future for my kids but also i need to follow my passion which is cooking(hoping to study culinary arts). My wife is also reinventing herself and she is currently doing a 1 year full time course,so for the year im a full time house husband(never thought i would say that)! Anyway as its time to apply for college next year i thought to myself i have been house bound so long now the thoughts of getting back out their and interacting with like minded people has me petrified! Don't get me wrong i can't wait to get started but does anyone else feel like there going to feel a bit socially awkward so to speak,or is it just me?!

Hi bizzyb. 28 y/o mature student in first year of a degree course here. Like you I worked full time since I was 19 but a car accident, resulting in me not being able to carry out my job anymore, meant I had to reassess my life. I found it exhilarating and terrifying even considering applying for college. It was something I've wanted to do for years but the unknown element and having been out of work and not having much of a social life since the accident made it even scarier. The first day of college felt like the first day of school, I was like a rabbit in headlights!

I'm happy to report that 9 weeks into my course, I am loving it! Each day going into college is honestly such a pleasure. I can see that it is such an advantage doing a course as a mature student, you don't go mad having your first taste of freedom, you're in a completely different headspace to the younger people in the class and there really is plenty of support available. I'm also thrilled with the social element of it. Ok it is strange at the start but every other person in there feels just as scared as you do. There's a great mix of ages (from 18 to 50+), lots of characters and clubs and societies for most interests.

It's perfectly normal for you to be excited and terrified but I really do believe that if it's something you want to do, that you will be so happy you made the decision to do it. Best of luck on your adventure!

And as for the butterflies in your stomach, enjoy them, this is what life is all about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I went back to collage as a mature student and attained a Masters Degree in Philosophy. I got sick four years ago and have been out of the loop since. I want to get a job next year but I don't know what I'll do and how I'll get on. I'm excited by the idea, but getting something, managing my time and interacting with other people is daunting. You wont regret studding as a mature student. I loved it, and miss it a lot. I'm just not cut out to be an academic, and there is no way I could afford the four years it would take to attain a PhD. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Skcornnelg

I was in a similar situation. Im 32 with 2 young children. I was a 'house husband' when I lost my job a couple of years ago. I found it difficult being at home all the time.
    Before I lost my job I really wanted to go back to education but I didnt think I would ever be able to. Losing my job was the excuse I needed to try. I enrolled in my local VEC for a pre-university type course. I then applied to TCD where I am now.
    I love the course because it is something I always had an interest in. I do find it strange being in a class with a bunch of 18 year olds but there are also alot of other matures. Its also weird that I am older than some of the lecturers!
    I biggest advantage is that I have a fantastic support system in place with my family, both immediate and extended. I think that this is vital to going back to education especially with a young family. Its not easy, I am in college all day during the week and I work weekends to help financially. There is also a little guilt sometimes when all I am doing with the kids is putting them to bed but both my wife and I look toward the long term in what I hope to get once I finish.
    I think that if it's something you are passionate about and you have a reliable support system in place you should go for it.

TL:DR - do it, do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Thanks for the feedback guys, some very inspiring stories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Just to add my two cents worth from the other side i.e. teaching. I teach further education with anything from 16year olds to 50something year olds.
    This is so normal for incoming adults but in my experience the vast majority settle fast and blend in with the class. The young guns can come across as annoying, careless, irresponsible but most adults having been at that stage understand them and blend in (& even hit the town with them at times). Mature students often do much better on courses because they know where they want it to take them.

So go for it! Enjoy it and use the time wisely in terms of being strategic with work placements and contacts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Donegaljack

What a great topic. I recently completed an MA in Adult Learning and Development at the Open Learning Centre at NUI Galway. Bitten by the life-long learning bug I am now in the middle of a postgraduate diploma in Special Educational Needs. I was asked to submit an article for the Education Matters Year book 2013 on my experience of life-long learning. However, having just written a 25,000 word thesis the last thing I wanted to do was write some more. So I composed a poem! Good luck to all yee who enter.

A Learning Journey

My experience as a lifelong learner is shared with you today.
    Having grasped the nettle with both hands, does learning really pay?
    I’ll start with the Certificate, that will do for sure,
    However, success became addictive and I needed to learn more.
    So I signed up for the Diploma as I enjoyed the course so much,
    Little did I know in time, the learning became a crutch.
    A real goal was in my sight, I couldn’t let it pass
    So I signed up for two more terms; the Degree was mine at last.
    But how about a Masters, What! I here you say
    Go for it for sure and you’ll get that too one day.

Being a lifelong learner is straightforward when you think.
    Its learning that comes natural, life’s experiences the link.
    The learning is not fed to you and you won’t be allowed to shirk.
    It’s not easy learning part-time, when there’s deadlines, families, work!
    Sure, it’s what you will get out of it which is what it’s all about,
    Go for it I tell you and you will soon find out.
    That learning is a process, what you sow you reap,
    But be mindful how you study or you’ll end up in a heap.
    Finally to answer, does learning really pay?
    Become a lifelong learner, you’re guaranteed to have more say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 safarigirl

I did a degree in fine art at 28, there were students there who were in there 50 s and 60's ! everyone was treated the same. who cares what other people think anyway...

Advertisement