Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder Road Lower, Rathfarnham, Dublin - Flood Risk

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

lower dodder road flooded the same night dundrum town center did back in 2011 or 2010, I drove home that way axle deep, cycled next morning and there were several cars abandoned and flood debris everywhere. remember it vividly, as I was afraid of drowning my new car under dundrum luas bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

kenmc wrote: »
    lower dodder road flooded the same night dundrum town center did back in 2011 or 2010, I drove home that way axle deep, cycled next morning and there were several cars abandoned and flood debris everywhere. remember it vividly, as I was afraid of drowning my new car under dundrum luas bridge.

The houses on that road didn't flood, if I recall the road only flooded down past the arch and there were a few cars stuck there. I cycle that road quiet a bit and I remember that night having to detour up around Mt Carmel in order to get on to Dodder Park Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I never said the houses did or didn't flood, just that the road was flooded

kenmc wrote: »
    I never said the houses did or didn't flood, just that the road was flooded
    Sorry Kenmc I didn't mean to direct my previous response at you, it was in response to these posts which seemed to suggest that the houses were flooded in 2012
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90443547&postcount=23
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90454050&postcount=25

• Registered Users Posts: 4 okiec666

footyball wrote: »
    Hello
    People like you have a vested interest in protecting your houses and I can understand that but I am telling you what I witnessed!!it does not matter how long you were living there that's the past!!!the future is away from rivers ask any global scientist,they all agree all over the world that the climate is changing so years ago it was no problem but not now or into the future,the point is why would you buy near a river when you don't have to???in my time there we had four warnings and in 2011there was a lot if flooding at the arch and all along dodder park road and in 2012 a house on that road went for just over 200,000 did they want out!!ye but I guess they imagined it as well
    Earth calling Jupiter

Hello.

You are entitled to your opinion regarding Lower Dodder Road. Living by rivers is absolutely beautiful. Wildlife, walks, etc.

Their is no problem with flooding for about 99% of houses on that road & I would recommend it if people wanted to live by a river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 footyball

Hello okiec666
    yes i suppose you are right i am entitled to my opinion,bujt in this case it is not my opinion what i said ,it is simply a fact.If you read what i said very very closely and try to understand...but i guess its a waste of time.People never listen to events or things they do not want to hear.I lived there.The water of river got to 30 yds of my house and it was frightening putting it mildly,it was life changing.The bulk of houses may not of experienced it YET!!You think it will never happen.Never say Never!!I KNOW people in Cork old people and friends again elderly who get goosepimples every time the river rises.Do i want to live like that in my latter years of life.EH no thank you.Rivers can be beautiful you are right and turn into monsters!!Finally if that river turns towards your house remember this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 okiec666

Hello okiec666
    yes i suppose you are right i am entitled to my opinion,bujt in this case it is not my opinion what i said ,it is simply a fact.If you read what i said very very closely and try to understand...but i guess its a waste of time.People never listen to events or things they do not want to hear.I lived there.The water of river got to 30 yds of my house and it was frightening putting it mildly,it was life changing.The bulk of houses may not of experienced it YET!!You think it will never happen.Never say Never!!I KNOW people in Cork old people and friends again elderly who get goosepimples every time the river rises.Do i want to live like that in my latter years of life.EH no thank you.Rivers can be beautiful you are right and turn into monsters!!Finally if that river turns towards your house remember this thread!!

Hello Footyball.

The fact of the matter is a lot of work has been done on that stretch of river to alleviate the risk of flooding. Their is no problem if someone wanted to buy a house on that road. It's a beautiful road to live on and as I said in my previous posts my in laws have had no problems since the scare of 1986 and they have been living there since 1952. Regarding the flooding in Cork and other areas's of the country they are still awaiting work to alleviate their flood risk and I'm sure when the work has been carried out there risk of flooding will be substantially reduced. As with everything in life there are risks but one can't live there life on a "what if".

I wish you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Not just on that road; upriver in Glenasmole and Bohernabreena there have been huge works done to make run-offs so if the water is flooding down from the mountains it doesn't fill the Dodder but runs harmlessly off into storage canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 footyball

okiec666 wrote: »
    Hello Footyball.

The fact of the matter is a lot of work has been done on that stretch of river to alleviate the risk of flooding. Their is no problem if someone wanted to buy a house on that road. It's a beautiful road to live on and as I said in my previous posts my in laws have had no problems since the scare of 1986 and they have been living there since 1952. Regarding the flooding in Cork and other areas's of the country they are still awaiting work to alleviate their flood risk and I'm sure when the work has been carried out there risk of flooding will be substantially reduced. As with everything in life there are risks but one can't live there life on a "what if".

I wish you well.

He He!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

He He!!!! :D

why did it flood last night? dont think it did.

• Advertisement

why did it flood last night? dont think it did.

There was small flood on the bend of lower dodder road heading towards orwell road this morning, cars were able to drive through though,the park on the other side looked to be flooded. Overall though it wasn't as bad as Nutgrove avenue! I don't think I've ever seen that road flooded before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

groovyg wrote: »
    There was small flood on the bend of lower dodder road heading towards orwell road this morning, cars were able to drive through though,the park on the other side looked to be flooded. Overall though it wasn't as bad as Nutgrove avenue! I don't think I've ever seen that road flooded before.
    I reckon it was a blocked thrash gate on the little Dargle that goes Through the fields and under the road

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I take it the lower Dodder Road got flooded then?
    If it did- it would make sense- given the battering the flood wall took which had it cracked all over- from back last January.
    I had a quick glance online- didn't see anything about the area. Anyone got any photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I take it the lower Dodder Road got flooded then?
    If it did- it would make sense- given the battering the flood wall took which had it cracked all over- from back last January.
    I had a quick glance online- didn't see anything about the area. Anyone got any photos?

No don't think it did

No don't think it did
    Only the lower part of lower dodder road is flooded, the guards had it closed off this evening so cars had to detour around by mount Carmel hospital. It didn't flood where the houses are, didn't even come up that high.

Advertisement