Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wedding

Options
  • 14-11-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Heya, just wondering what the general consensus for a January wedding is? Thinking Friday 9 January 2015. We had planned Oct/Nov 2014 but we don't think we can afford it that soon, also a couple of immediate family members and close friends live abroad and will be home for Christmas.

Will be a small wedding..70max..of just close friends and family.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Will they still be home for Christmas at that stage?
    People will be broke but with loads of advanced notice that should not be an issue.
    We had Nov when we actually got married and Feb when we did the whole big wedding thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sahara24

ya they are coming from Australia so they are home Christmas week until mid January

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would do it while they are home so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If you have it in a venue where people will not be expected to travel a long distance and stay overnight - it will be a lot more considerate to family and friends immediately after the expense of Christmas. It will be a great excuse for a get together for everyone home for the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I got married in January and it was great. No issues that I can think of, and it was a good deal cheaper than the summer months. It did pour rain on the day though! And then of course the following day the sun shone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Do you not think you are pushing the boat out a bit too much waiting until January 9th. After the whole Christmas/New Year sessions, people are pretty much broke by the time Jan 4/5 comes.

Can you consider the week between Xmas and New Year. How about Saturday 3rd January. Its the last weekend before everyone is back at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Do you not think you are pushing the boat out a bit too much waiting until January 9th. After the whole Christmas/New Year sessions, people are pretty much broke by the time Jan 4/5 comes.

Can you consider the week between Xmas and New Year. How about Saturday 3rd January. Its the last weekend before everyone is back at work.

If they are broke by the 4th or 5th, will it be much different on the 3rd?!

I do take your point - we've a wedding coming up on 3rd and really lookin forward to the treat of it because it's such a miserable time. I think it's a great weekend.

We're actually thinking of booking 15/01/16 as venues are considerably cheaper and choice is fantastic. Travel be a lot cheaper too for honeymoon.

Most are local so travel not an issue. I am concerned about a large number not attending due to financial constraints. But I do think lots of notice is key.

And I honestly think those that don't wanna go will think of an excuse regardless. it's a summons to some people and I don't mind that. I'd rather they just don't go if they don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

January weddings are great. traditionally a month where nothing happens on most social calendars. go for it. off season rates from all suppliers.

Advertisement