Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ewe condition

• 14-11-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

My ewes were in top condidtion at the start of Oct for mating.
    Despite loads of grass, i notice they have already dropped a condition score.
    I know its not a bad thing but they seemed to go back quicker than usual. Anyone else notice this? My grass quality mustn't be up to much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I was hyming and hawing about some of mine before tipping. handled them briefly at day 17 and thought they had improved. poor grassland here, dosed them for fluke before going to ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

when and what did you dose with last? worms/liver & rumen fluke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

I know its not a bad thing but they seemed to go back quicker than usual. Anyone else notice this? My grass quality mustn't be up to much!

check when you last fluke dosed and what product you used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Not great for them to lose weight at this stage, They can reabsorb the embryos.
    You should investigate because anything will keep them at this stage, unusual for them to lose weight , mine are being pushed hard to graze out paddocks, maybe doing 2 or 3 days longer on paddocks than they should and like con they have definitely improved since start of mating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Thanks . I wasn't really concerned but am a little bit now. They are still in good condidtion. I haven't dosed them. I just gave any of the poorer ones a floke dose in August and that seemed to even them up.

I'm moving them home soon and they'll be on haylage / grass. If condidtion drops further i'll dose them.

In general I don't does ewes unless its obvious they need it or if condidtions really bad. I'm on dry enough ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

id be fairly certain it is fluke so, even on dry land, get it into them as soon as and make sure dose covers immature would be my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Would I be right in thinking Triclabendazole would be the correct drug to use? That is what I used anyway before they went to the ram.

Advertisement