Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

egan2020 wrote: »
    Pretty sure than Peter Coonan in his interview on the radio today said something along the lines of how he didn't know nidge was being killed off until he watched the episode on Sunday night.
    "Janet" said the same in an interview. Seems that only the cast members involved in the final scene knew about it.

Whether Peter Coonan actually referred to Nidge being "killed" I'm not sure - I know the interviewers did, but I don't think Coonan actually said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nidge is dead, but there's no harm in keeping the viewers guessing, and talking, right up to the start of series 6. That's why there was no head shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Just saying purely based on imagination.but what if the reason moynihan wanted nidge so bad is because he is a bent copper who would do anything to get rid of all the crime bosses so he could take over or perhaps hand the reigns to the Ra. And next season would focus on a new wave of characters so they can reboot the whole franchise. jus like they did with the aussie programme underbelly now I'm just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That is a good imagination alright.

Have you seen Underbelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

kryogen wrote: »
    That is a good imagination alright.

Have you seen Underbelly?

Seen the first season and seen bit's and pieces of other spin off from underbelly. could be season 2 I know it focuses on real life crime I'm sketchy on the whole thing so go easy on me if I'm completely wrong but the characters in the first one didn't really feature in other seasons because they were either murdered or put in prison now I know it's no Love/hate not even close but for example sake I just said I'd throw in underbelly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Farty88 wrote: »
    Just saying purely based on imagination.but what if the reason moynihan wanted nidge so bad is because he is a bent copper who would do anything to get rid of all the crime bosses so he could take over or perhaps hand the reigns to the Ra.

dreamszz5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TVL said in an interview that he was moving on from the series, so if I was a betting man I'd say Nidge is no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I just watched the very first episode again. Trish's accent was completely different, although I think it has improved.

I was laughing at Nidge's excuse that he was just updating his Bebo page. After all that has happened over the five seasons, the thoughts of Nidge having a Bebo page is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Why is the next series in January?, is it not usually October/November?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

IvaBigWun wrote: »

They need an A or B List actor to come in and work for peanuts to give a new character some credence before he even opens his mouth. Many well known actors would do it if the script was right.

They should give Leo from Fair City a call. I'd love to see him as a gangland boss in Love/Hate.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I just watched the very first episode again. Trish's accent was completely different

So was her face. She really got better looking as the show went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is the next series in January?, is it not usually October/November?

Its October, its just trolls messing with ya.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    "Janet" said the same in an interview. Seems that only the cast members involved in the final scene knew about it.

Whether Peter Coonan actually referred to Nidge being "killed" I'm not sure - I know the interviewers did, but I don't think Coonan actually said that.

What's making me think he did say it as opposed to the interviewer saying it is that it wasn't the complete interview I heard. Just a clip of it that was played during the news on the radio. It sounded pretty casual when he said - like there was no question about the fact that nidge was dead. Of course now I'm doubting myself and maybe didn't hear what I think I did!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Why are they referring to Fran scene as a rape scene? Tis a snooker up his arse, no? Or did I miss something?

ya thats rape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭G1032

Why are they referring to Fran scene as a rape scene? Tis a snooker up his arse, no? Or did I miss something?

And what might I ask would you call if it wasn't rape?
    Bizarre question .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

G1032 wrote: »
    And what might I ask would you call if it wasn't rape?
    Bizarre question .....

When you rape another man with your cock, no?

no rape is penetration it can be a outside object, there was a case before the european court where police/prison guard raped a prisoner with a baton.

so need your cock need not be involved for it to be rape

A definition from wikipedia.....!!!!

Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration initiated against one or more individuals without the consent of those individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

no rape is penetration it can be a outside object, there was a case before the european court where police/prison guard raped a prisoner with a baton.

so need your cock need not be involved for it to be rape

Fair enough - did not know that.

I thought this was more assault so to speak but looks like I am wrong.

I don't want to create a massive argument here but let's say someone shoved a biscuit up your arse - could you say you've being raped? I know that is a ridiculous example but I am curious to know answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Rape is sexual activity without consent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

G1032 wrote: »
    A definition from wikipedia.....!!!!

Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration initiated against one or more individuals without the consent of those individuals.

I think the scenes with Fran were probably the most horrific I have ever seen (almost seen, I had to turn away) But it shows that male rape isn't as understood yet by the jokes that abounded after the show, but regardless it was rape, a violation, an abuse. Sick.

Edit to add:(not to sound preachy either - I think most of the jokes were born out of shock too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

it's lunchtime (here) lads. I've just lost my appetite.:(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

el diablo wrote: »
    it's lunchtime (here) lads. I've just lost my appetite.:(

I was just eating a biscuit :(

Pretzill wrote: »
    I think the scenes with Fran were probably the most horrific I have ever seen (almost seen, I had to turn away) But it shows that male rape isn't as understood yet by the jokes that abounded after the show, but regardless it was rape, a violation, an abuse. Sick.

Edit to add:(not to sound preachy either - I think most of the jokes were born out of shock too!)
    Ya. Shocking enough alright. Like that scene in the Steig Larsson book/film .... Think it was The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

Fair enough - did not know that.

I thought this was more assault so to speak but looks like I am wrong.

I don't want to create a massive argument here but let's say someone shoved a biscuit up your arse - could you say you've being raped? I know that is a ridiculous example but I am curious to know answer!

it's understandable that you weren't fully clear on the line between rape ad sexual assault, it differs around the world in most of Europe any non consensual penetration is rape, so in theory yes that would,

Irish laws is more backwards defining rape (as with everything) so technically what happened to fran is sexual assault under Irish law (not something I agree with, and so would your biscuit plan

but please don't go shoving biscuits anywhere but your mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tasden wrote: »
    I was just eating a biscuit :(

Arse biscuits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

If Nidge is dead (and by ordinary logic he should be) then the series should die with him. Only alternative in my view is to start again from scratch with new cast of villians (maybe keep the Guards ?) It would be almost a new show, but keep the Franchise name. Either reviving Nidge, or trying to limp along with the survivors of the current cast just wouldn't work in my view. Do think you would need a relatively big name, like an Aidan Gillen, for a re-boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

nm wrote: »
    Can't believe people are saying Nidge might not be dead. The same people who in this thread were saying Darren might not be dead when S03 ended I guess.

He's dead, if he's not, the show is terrible.

It's a tad different. We saw Darren's head explode. We simply do not know if Nidge is dead.

ASOT wrote: »
    If your so confident you should make a good bit of money off Paddy Power so, 5/1 great odds.

Unlikely - In that kind of market they're not gonna take a meaningful bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

If Love Hate contains with another season I'd like to see Trish struggle to pay bills like most decent folk I missed out on that with The Sopranos Carmela always bugged me acting holy than thou walking around her mansion in fancy shoes I know Trish and Nidge's house was no mansion but it was nice enough bought with blood money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Unlikely - In that kind of market they're not gonna take a meaningful bet.

Sure if it's a banker isn't anything profit? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And what did the subtitles say when Nidge was shot?

Bang bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just heard a snippet of Coonans interview but I think his words were that he didn't know Toms character was going to be shot.

I will try post the link tomorrow.

I personally think Nidge is dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

GrumPy wrote: »
    Rape is sexual activity without consent...

Not sure about that. Then grabbing an ass would be rape. I think Fran was sexually assaulted.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rape

Not sure about that. Then grabbing an ass would be rape. I think Fran was sexually assaulted.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rape

as i pointed out under irish law yes it was but any decent person and most european countries would view it as rape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Folks, this isn't the place to discuss the semantics of rape/sexual assault. Please get back to discussing the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

EDIT: Mod warning was posted while I was typing :p

Does it really matter in this case though? IMO that's the least of Fran's worries, given the size of the pool of blood he was lying in - he'll be very lucky to survive that at all, and if he does, I can't imagine him not being crippled for life. Presumably to produce that much blood, his intestines must have been punctured pretty severely? Ouchhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Let that be an end to it, please. Any further posts on the topic will be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I know it's only a show, but it's hard to believe that those kinda things aren't happening in real life.
    Please God it being on my television screen is the closest I'll ever come to any of it.

The recording of the incident is significant - It would be disseminated to humiliate Fran. If he's not dead (which is a strong possibility), he's likely to have a colostomy bag and possibly be in a wheelchair. Physically, his days of intimidating people are over and amongst the criminal fraternity, he's likely to be a laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The shows writer always said he wants the to as real as possible, gang bosses die all the time

In the words of Omar "if you come at the king you best not miss"

Patrick didn't miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd be happy to see it left there, but there's plenty mileage for another season.

First of all, Fran being out of prison wasn't "pointless", as he killed Dean. Apart from meeting the season quota of "look how fcuking scary Fran is! Especially in the evening!", Dean is the one who told Siobhán where Fran kept the bone. If Siobhán is dead, and Nidge is dead, then that could be an interesting plot point for a courtroom procedural season: for all Trish knows the bone might have been in the house, she was already starting to have difficulty maintaining her delusions about Nidge's character, and she'd be bound to remember the state of him around that time. Fran (if he's alive) has no motivation to own up. Garda man would probably be pretty conflicted about the whole thing, seeing as it'd be great professionally and personally for him to get some major charge against Nidge even posthumously (can they do that?) and he only suspects that it was dodgy evidence.

If it gets to the press that one of Nidge's gang murdered Git, the RA would have to act. They might have let it go for practical reasons at the time, but the grassroots pressure about gangland drugdealers murdering a major figure couldn't really be withstood. The two who were in the scene with Dano's murder could be really good characters, it's not exactly unheard of for this show to take a long-fingered approach to this sort of stuff.

Terence is still going to want his money. Noelie could easily not get his sentence extended (given the battering Fran gave his hospital gard and the general pain in the neck he's been to them, they mightn't be falling over themselves to see justice served), and Noelie could be a great psycho. So could Beano. Nadine and Aido are great characters, the travellers could provide a lot more widening out of the story world. That useless prick Tommy could gurn his way through a lot of incriminating statements, especially with Siobhán dead.

Could definitely set it up for a three way IRA/Terence/Traveller conflict combined with a court procedural, especially seeing as this season was already hinting a lot at corruption and PR-driven nonsense at the higher levels of the Gardaí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'd hate for them to milk it like they did with Lost. That show should have finished long before it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

I never understand people, I'm sure theirs people out there who would love them to milk it and make as many episodes as possible, A half decent episode of love/hate is still better than half the shyte on television

If you don't like it switch channels it's not difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Benteke wrote: »
    I never understand people, I'm sure theirs people out there who would love them to milk it and make as many episodes as possible, A half decent episode of love/hate is still better than have the shyte on television

If you don't like it switch channels it's not difficult

Ah, but you feel compelled to continue watching.

Of course I do because it's decent, You can always turn it off if you want to

I'd hate for them to milk it like they did with Lost. That show should have finished long before it did.

Two very different shows ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Benteke wrote: »
    Of course I do because it's decent, You can always turn it off if you want to

I dunno, at some point you become so invested you just ride it out till the end, no matter how ****ing awful the show gets. Sons of Anarchy is a great case in point, Dexter also.

Sons of Anarchy and Dexter still have millions of viewers, So others obviously enjoy it, If viewers of the show don't like it turn it off and watch something else, Fans of the show wanting the show to end, Why? So you can look back with memories? Bolllox that give us more episodes, The more the better, If it goes downhill then so be it but it's still better than most shows on tv

• Advertisement
Advertisement