Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Listen to the Pat Kenny interview. He's definitely dead.
    my point still stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Waaaaay offtopic

Saw an ad last night in the cinema for the TG4 show An Bronntanas

Seems to have a drug smuggling theme to it. You see a chopped off human arm in the ad for gods sake!

With Love Hate done now is this show any good? I've watched some superb documentaries on TG4 but I haven't seen their dramas

Here is a trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tasden wrote: »
    If it was involving people like elmo, aido, nadine, then I don't think it'd be a good show no. As another poster said, there's just not anywhere for it to go.

Its like continuing friends and having gunther, janice and joey continue on from where the "original" friends left off, similar storylines and setting but its not the same. Same with love/hate.

A similar show about gangland crime could be excellent but as a separate show to love hate.

I don't see the problem with "so called fans" as you say, holding that opinion tbh

Why create a new show, when the basis is there for a continuation of the old one?
    Use the existing characters we are aware of initially while introducing more as time goes on.

The name is out there, it has a major following, and most people have an appetite for a similar show.

The issue I see with fans saying a continuation of what has happened would be ridiculous is the simple fact that these people became fans of the show over time and if they want to see more of the same, surely that would be something they would like to see?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

There should be a spin off show following patrick and his escapades on youtube with his big swollen innocent head on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

kippy wrote: »
    Why create a new show, when the basis is there for a continuation of the old one?
    Use the existing characters we are aware of initially while introducing more as time goes on.

The name is out there, it has a major following, and most people have an appetite for a similar show.

The issue I see with fans saying a continuation of what has happened would be ridiculous is the simple fact that these people became fans of the show over time and if they want to see more of the same, surely that would be something they would like to see?

I cant speak for other fans, i just personally think love hate as we all know it should end like that on a high note, tying up the story and the whole rise and fall of the characters.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »

On the flipside, there's no need to flog a show to the point where it may go really downhill for the sake of it.

Love/Hate is the only Irish drama I've watched, so I can't compare to others, but I wouldn't have even made it through the first episode if I didn't have so many people telling me that I had to watch it because it was amazing. I'm glad I stuck with it, because Season 2 was good, 3 even better, before Season 4 being a let-down, and Season 5 somewhere in-between.

I don't know exactly what the writers have in mind, but I'm sure at the start it was more about Darren, then when the popularity of Nidge, and the acting talent of TVL shone through, the arc for seasons 3-5 were written. Did they ever expect Nidge to be such a popular character? I don't know....but it will be a huge job for some other actor to come in and carry the show the way he and Fran have.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Elmo and Fran get out of jail in a few years.Nidges son is a teenager and Janets son is in a gang.Noelie is in the gang now with Aido and Aidos bird is in charge of the brothel.Terence is still the big man in charge but has put a new leader in the place of King Nidge.Fran gets out and wrecks things and wants to get Noellie for playing pool with him.And Nidges son decides to kill the traveller and his son who is now a teenager himself.Trish tells her son to stay away from crime but he will not listen.Tommy is on disability and minds his son.We see him and the son bond then when Elmo Aido and his 1 eyed brother call in and ask Tommy does he want to earn some cash as he looks broke Tommy struggles weather to get involved knowing his son will be taken into care if he goes to jail.Thee ya go season 6 written and sent off by E Mail to Stuart.6 episodes.Bang Bafta on the way.

Season 7 Janets son finds out Terence big balls killed his mother and kills him and he and mini Nidge take over from Terence.The young lions take power from the old lions as is the way in nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I didn't say he's not dead...

Oh ok. What was your point then, about why they didn't have the head shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"“It survived the departure of John Boy, it survived the departure of Darren, and it can survive the departure of Nidge. "

TVL said this. I really don't think it could. Who will be the characters, either everyone is dead or banged up?

The way he said he left the show, sounds like it will go on.

Carolan should just leave it, he created a fine show and at the moment its at an all time high. There is nothing left to tie up, everyone got there ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Nidge was nothing in season 1.Others stole the show.So many characters grew on us and left we still have Aido,Trish,Elmo,Fran,Big Balls,Connors,young Nidge,Janets son,Aidos bird in the brothel,Tommy,Noelie,The Gardai,Just add a new leader and some female and male eye candy and some music and drugs and you have a new show.We want to see young Nidge getting revenge.Will Tommy wake up?Will Janets son get Terence?Will Aido and Nadine get married?Will Elmo take over the gang?Will Noelie?Will Fran get revenge?Things are not finished..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Of who is left, the only one that could lead things is Fran - he's the only character there long term and the only actor that could carry it off. Tommy, Elmo and Aido don't have the same presence that Fran has.

I wonder what are the merits of letting it skip a year and coming back in late 2016? By that stage, Tommy would have come round again, Elmo and Fran released on whatever grounds and Aido still part of the plot along with whoever else they bring into the gang. The other characters who fill around that are all still there and you have the makings of the same gang minus Nidge with Fran the main man hell bent on revenge for what happened in prison and possibly looking to link up with Terrence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Why not move it to another city ?

let's just leave it to Stuart Carolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think season 6 will see Darren and Nidge rise from the dead along with hughie and John boy

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

This thread really does lack imagination, I can see why many of you never became writers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think season 6 will see Darren and Nidge rise from the dead along with hughie and John boy

Please no, not Darren. Insufferable actor/character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

kstand wrote: »
    Of who is left, the only one that could lead things is Fran - he's the only character there long term and the only actor that could carry it off. Tommy, Elmo and Aido don't have the same presence that Fran has.

I wonder what are the merits of letting it skip a year and coming back in late 2016? By that stage, Tommy would have come round again, Elmo and Fran released on whatever grounds and Aido still part of the plot along with whoever else they bring into the gang. The other characters who fill around that are all still there and you have the makings of the same gang minus Nidge with Fran the main man hell bent on revenge for what happened in prison and possibly looking to link up with Terrence.

But they wouldn't have to wait till 2016 to do that, would they? They could just imply that 2 or 3 years have past. It doesn't have to follow real life timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Actually I would love to see a stand off between Hughie and Fran, they are very similar nut cases, would be interesting.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

I think the only way forward from here is for a whole New gangland series. Different name, cast, stories etc etc. There's one thing that's not lacking in this country is story lines based on gangland activity. Bring some unknown actors through a series of a whole New show. An watch it rise in popularity again. Maybe involve some of the old love hate crew in cameo roles, stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Listen to the Pat Kenny interview. He's definitely dead.

He sounded very much alive to me - just a lot more posh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe they should release a computer game of the show and let all the wannabe writers do whatever they like in the game?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

they should move it to the walking dead than

Didn't like the ending that much on Sunday night. Having watched it a second time though I liked it much more.
    The episode shows the complete downfall of Nidge.

First he finds out that his bodyguard actually works for Terrence.
    Then he is completely overruled by Terrence leading to Janets death.
    Then the guards hate him so much they become all kinds of corrupt and give him a beating.
    He's barely even wiped the blood off his face and he hears that Fran is out.
    Then Trish seems to realise what he really he is...
    Then Siobhan gets in his face and he realises his own niece is a rat and hates him.
    And finally, Patrick comes and kills him in front of his family.

Too many enemies in the end.

What I really liked though was how he managed to drag everyone down with him. The guards stooped to all kinds of low, allowing Siobhan to risk her life to ultimately bring him down. Patrick, Mr nice guy, now he has killed an innocent girl and killed 3 people in total. He is tied to them forever now as he would say himself.

Both Patrick and the Guards will have blood on their hands after that.

terrence big balls is the only one capable of running the show, fran is all over the place, elmo and ado are just clowns with drug addictions and patrick with his swollen innocent head is happy enough with the peaceful bomb making, only one way it can go....it just depends on the writing etc, everyone is saying that nidge is the main character but he is not, not like tony soprano was, initially it was john boy then darren then nidge, it was more about the show than anything else and in fact the show was in danger of becoming the nidge show as it because too much centred around him...

"Patrick, Mr nice guy, now he has killed an innocent girl and killed 3 people in total. He is tied to them forever now as he would say himself."

I wonder subtly have the writers displayed the traveller character like this on purpose to show how travellers are in reality....the say they are one thing but do the complete opposite....patrick said he was peaceful...but he made bombs which kill people...i mean come on now....then he gives this great speech to packie about how "its not nothing to take a man off this earth" and then proceeds to kill him...he also talks about only doing what he has to for his family yet he gunned down innocent siobhan and killed nidge without a bally on, he would be then complaining to pavee point when cig moynihan raids his halting site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Maybe they should release a computer game of the show and let all the wannabe writers do whatever they like in the game?
    Grand Theft Jammer.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This is a clip from that Pat Kenny interview. I've seen TVL being interviewed a few times now, but it still feels odd to hear his voice. I mean, compare that interview with his final showdown with Siobhan. Amazing actor. It is a complete transformation up there with Ledger's transformation to The Joker.

• Advertisement

I reckon Nadine has a whole new cast lined up for the shop :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I reckon Nadine has a whole new cast lined up for the shop :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Wow, i really cant believe there is so much talk about plots and a continuation.
    I am pretty certain they will make another series, the plot is secondary to that. The hype and coverage will carry it on for another 6 episodes alone, regardless of the quality (Of which I am pretty confident they could maintain as the storylines have never been actually too complex, it is just snappy dramatic low concentration tv)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If TVL isn't coming back then there should not be another series

We never got Nidge's confrontation with Darren, Fran or Tommy, only with Siobhan sort of, I really wanted to see Fran confront him besides the head butt in the prison visit

If there is a film make it a prequel so all can return

look, if you see tom vaughan lawlor out and about next march with a shaved head then you know there will be another series....series 5 was a real time continuation from series 4 which means its still only mid 2013....

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

We never got Nidge's confrontation with Darren, Fran or Tommy, only with Siobhan sort of, I really wanted to see Fran confront him besides the head butt in the prison visit

i've just forwarded this to stuart carolan, and he said "mmmmmmm yeah i suppose"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Time to start stalking TVL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aido and Nadine had me in stiches the other night, they should be set up in a spin-off like George & Mildred or John and Mary from Father Ted.

N: "Why are ya asking me Nidge, I'm not a bleedin' prostitute?!"

A: "Ya ****in' are...."

Or they could go full-on 'Hoe's before Bro's' and get Trish and Nadine to take over the knocking shop and the importation for Terence, I mean someone has to provide for Wadden and John Boy Jr and whatever Nadines sprogs are called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why was Fran not brought in, in Season 1 I want to see a showdown between Fran and Hughie.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Tvl is finshed with love/hate..nidge is dead. Now lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Terence will not be taking over the local operation. Since when did an international CEO become shop manager. If it does start again, it will start from scratch with a new younger kingpin probably initiating a massacre of Nidge's old crew.
    Terence may already have a candidate in mind. He informed Nidge that he was already dead in episode one of this season. Getting rid of an idiot nephew along with one or two successful runs was a bonus short term. Long term he'll have been planning. Maybe even in meetings with the extremely efficient travellers.
    Our hero, the cop is ripe for blackmail and turning to the dark side. A dissatisfied wife and a growing realisation that them upstairs don't care.
    If there is a season 6, it will be a major reshuffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jezzer wrote: »
    There should be a spin off show following patrick and his escapades on youtube with his big swollen innocent head on him
    What's with all the references to Patrick and youtube? (this is just the latest one, there have been a few). Thought I was fairly well up on the details, but this one passed me by.....
    let's just leave it to Stuart Carolan

I have visions of Carolan logging on to boards every few days, and knocking himself out facepalming :eek:

Either that or giving himself a hernia with the laughing.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What's with all the references to Patrick and youtube? (this is just the latest one, there have been a few). Thought I was fairly well up on the details, but this one passed me by.....

Travelers calling each other out on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    /QUOTE]

Travelers calling each other out on youtube

Thanks - but I'm still none the wiser..... :confused:

This is a clip from that Pat Kenny interview. I've seen TVL being interviewed a few times now, but it still feels odd to hear his voice. I mean, compare that interview with his final showdown with Siobhan. Amazing actor. It is a complete transformation up there with Ledger's transformation to The Joker.

"His legacy to Warren is him seeing his fathers murder"

"The show survived the departure of John Boy, it survived the departure of Darren. It will survive the departure of Nidge"

HE IS DEAD, MOVE ON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Actually you know I've always wondered if the show ( hypothetically of course! :p ) continued on for years, would we see Warren turn to crime like his father or would he be the complete opposite of Nidge? I always thought Warren(along with his owner baby son) was the one person that Nidge truly loved (Warren was the last person he saw before Patrick shot him and he looked utterly horrified that Warren was going to witness his murder) and I can imagine him wanting Warren to stay well clear of a life of crime

I blame Irish Water for all of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

think moynihan adopts obama and tommy

elmo and aido realise dating fran has its advanatges too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Tasden wrote: »
    If it was involving people like elmo, aido, nadine, then I don't think it'd be a good show no. As another poster said, there's just not anywhere for it to go.

Its like continuing friends and having gunther, janice and joey continue on from where the "original" friends left off, similar storylines and setting but its not the same. Same with love/hate.

A similar show about gangland crime could be excellent but as a separate show to love hate.

I don't see the problem with "so called fans" as you say, holding that opinion tbh

I dunno. I would be satisfied to have it end, but I'm also very confident of Carolan and co's ability to quickly establish great characters (more confident than I am in their ability to consistently provide good plots, based on the show so far). Paulie and Patrick this season, Cat-boy (forget his name) and Lizzie last season, even going back as far as Hughie in the first season...all strong characters established and provided a decent arc before (with the exception of Patrick) being bumped off, all within a season or so. Even looking at Janet and Siobhán, characters have started off very minor and grown very interesting. If there was a lynchpin character like Fran left, I could see the show kind of "re-spawning" without completely abandoning all the plotlines we already have, I think there's a lot of potential still in the scenario as it stands.

If SC had three possible endings in place for season 5 and he has already stated that he was half way through writing season six, you can be sure he has a plan for a continuation with or without TVL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement