Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

But we want another season or a few, it gets a bit boring looking at the same five seasons numerous times, we want to see more Nidge even if he is dead, maybe he will become Dracula heh heh.

Fran likes digging up graves so maybe Carolan will go with a Weekend at Bernies theme next time around :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Looks like there wont be a 6th season.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/lovehate-therell-no-sixth-season-4636934

It has been reported tonight that there will be no sixth season of hit show Love/Hate but that a spin-off could take it's place.
    RTE Commissioning Editor Jane Gogan revealed the news after Nidge was killed off in the season five finale.
    She said: “RTE can confirm that Love/Hate will not return to screens in 2015.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Quite happy. I prefer it ending at its peak instead of carrying on for the sake of it like Lost or Prison Break

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Jumboman wrote: »
    Looks like there wont be a 6th season.

I wonder what exactly Stuart Carolan meant by this comment from the article you posted?
    “If we looked at Love/Hate again, how to do it, we’d have to do it in a very different way.”

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Love Hate is over!

A new show begins

Best of both worlds, onwards and upwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I'd like to see a Limerick version of Love/Hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So what was your best ever Love Hate episode regardless of what season, mine has to be the opener episode to Season 3 when Aido gets a mistaken punishment shooting for dealing, bringing Git and Dano into Love Hate. The opening sequence is like a Tarantino sequence with the last quarter of the episode playing in a flash forward snippet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

If this is true and its money related, the 1m people who watch Love/Hate should stop paying their TV licences.

There's money to overpay RTE "stars" and to buy in sh1te that people can easily watch on other channels but not to support our indigeneous TV/film industry...unbelievable if the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

They struck gold with TVL and Peter Coonan. A new setting could be great but they should quit while they're ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/king-nidge-is-dead-but-lovehate-may-be-back-30748150.html

They've really handled this badly - they really should have let us known in advance this was the last episode ever - would have being no debate whether Nidge was dead or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I feel that season 5 episode 6 has left things dangling. A cliffhanger. Now, the press have been interpreting everything from the start and especially revealed almost every storyline in season 4. Season 5 was better kept secret and season 6 the same. It could well be that who dies and who survives will be kept quiet and maybe we could be deliberately mislead. I still feel that if season 6 is on, Nidge will be in it: it will be more interesting for the other storylines like the fallout over Fran's rape to have him alive imo. I will rule in or out nothing until I see episode 1 of season 6 ..

Builder, with respect..I've seen your countless long posts on here about possible scenarios. I think you are wasting your time. Nidge is gone, the story is stale. A recent statement from the L/H crew said there might be a spin off, speculating on possible plots is just a bit daft at the moment.

Just my tuppance worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How does it look like there wont be a 6th season?

"However, in a late statement, it was revealed that the next series of Love/Hate IS in the works.

Ms Gogan added: "A sixth series is currently in development with the writer and creator Stuart Carolan and Octagon Films.

"It’s just a week since the series finale aired and RTE, the producers and Stuart feel it’s important to take time and reflect before going to production with a sixth season"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sixth season announced, but not next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Love/late :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

It appears that last nights comments above love hate been over were inaccurate

There will be another series, it just won't happen next year

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

Guys, Love/Hate will have a sixth season. It just won't happen next year. I reckon 2016 though.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1116/659785-lovehate/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

So now we have to wait 24 months? :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

That would suggest a re-boot to me. Keeping the "brand name" but a new story, new cast. Hope so anyway. Current crew were great, but I genuinely think that story has run it's course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Perhaps they are leaving it longer for the new series as the current cast members have a lot lined up already for 2015..... just a thought.

Personally, if there is no Nidge, then I just don't see where the plot can go to from there, and I'm not sure that I'd be interested anyways.

Seems like a lot of scores were settled in series 5, a lot of lose ends tied up

A 2 year wait is a gamble, I don't know that I'd be all that interested in 2 years time in it, I'd hardly remember half of what happened by then (I don't put much effort into remembering trivial things like movies or TV shows).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Hmm it'll be back in 2 years from now. I'd agree it will pr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Hmm it'll be back in 2 years from now. I'd agree it will probably be a completely new cast..not sure if I'd like that as the original cast were simply fantastic and it could be difficult to recreate that magic. Last week's finale was the perfect way to end the series... But then again, Stuart Carolan is an incredible writer and
    if he can still see mileage in the show, why not? If he's not bringing it back next year and is waiting in 2016 it means he's obviously considered the future of the show a lot. It won't be the Love/Hate that we all know and love, Love/Hate as viewers know it is dead without Nidge imo. So a brand new cast is the best way to go. It's a risky move though and there's the risk of the momentum and interest having waned/disappeared after a 2 year break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't be surprised now if they go they Underbelly root and keep the Love/Hate name but set other series in different places & era's.

Might be a better idea to run with a completely different show tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Could be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

King Nidge is dead, other main characters dead or locked up, pretty much wraps it up.
    Entire five seasons showed you live by the sword, you die by the sword etc etc.
    Aido is the only one left standing and he said he wanted to get out of the criminal life, now is his chance.
    Hardly likely that they will go off on a criminal traveller storyline, as Patrick didn't want to be dragged into the mess, but it was going to be Nidge or him.
    Who knows, but for now it over, nobody knows what Stuart Carolan is thinking yet, probably not even himself.
    It was a blast while it lasted and they should be all applauded for giving us a great show which highlighted the great acting talent our country has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sixth season in two years could be good
    Fran out and more a sociopath then ever ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Or Janet's son will be older and meaner. Looking to settle ok scores.

New cast with new story with some appearances from the old cast would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sixth season in two years could be good
    Fran out and more a sociopath then ever ,

Yeah he'll be out in two alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah he'll be out in two alright.

Scriptwriters can throw in anything to get him out technicality etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Only started Love/Hate last week, was flat out catching up all week. Had to endure a week without Facebook so as to not ruin anything :P. Just finished the last episode there. Pretty much repeating what a lot of other people said but I absolutely loved the series overall. I thought the acting was fantastic, from everyone. A great series. Has there been a better, more succesful Irish series before?

Haven't had too much time to think about Series 6 and whether it should go ahead. I'm leaning towards the No camp at the moment. Someone did mention a prequel series/movie and that could work.

Oh yeah, I absolutely loved Fran - pure comedy gold. Every time he spoke I was in stitches laughing. I reckon he should have his own spin-off show - Fran dies, goes to heaven and we get to follow his antics in the afterlife. Something in the style of a vulgar Teen-Angel. Would be hilarious :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It is rather confusing what is being said. There's no Love/Hate next year on RTE but a 6th series is being written. Does that mean it will be issued in 2016 or in 2015 on another station? Possible scenarios vary but here are 5 possibilities:

1. Nidge is alive: Nidge recovers to see Terence, Patrick and Fran have taken over his patch. Fran is Terence's enemy and Fran/Patrick are out to get Nidge. Nidge however has valuable allies in Terence and Tony and it is all out war. Tommy wakes up to discover all he has lost and he wants both Patrick and Nidge dead more than anyone.

2. Nidge is dead, we continue with the same characters: Terence take charge of Nidge's affairs and leads him into dealings with the likes of Fran, Tony and Patrick, some of who will be his allies and some his enemies. Tommy wakes up and wants Patrick dead.

3. New characters in Dublin: A new reboot with a new gang is another option. This could be completely new set of characters or could take in one or 2 present characters like Terence, Patrick, Noelie and Fran plus a complete new set. Most of the action would be based on new storylines.

4. New characters but elsewhere: Perhaps if we were going down the road of totally new characters (or mostly new anyway), a move to another location would be good. You could explore the Limerick gangland (all new characters), traveller feuds set in some place like Carrick on Shannon, Mohill or Longford (Patrick and new characters: possibly get Fran in there too). Or an IRA/LVF orientated story set in Belfast exploring IRA's feuds with drug dealers and loyalist feuds. Tony could come in here.

5. The prequel series: here, all are alive. Familiar characters like Darren, John Boy, Fran, Nidge, Tommy, Dano, etc. and how then all came into being. Perhaps have Terence as John Boy's boss with Terence then going to Spain and John taking over? Also, add in some other disposable characters and maybe explore characters like Martin the corrupt garda in more detail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think option 4 would be good. A prequel wouldn't really show much new stuff - it's not as if the characters ended up as big kingpins and you're wondering how they got there. Plus I'd imagine a lot of the important main actors have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

It is rather confusing what is being said. There's no Love/Hate next year on RTE but a 6th series is being written. Does that mean it will be issued in 2016 or in 2015 on another station? Possible scenarios vary but here are 5 possibilities:

1. Nidge is alive: Nidge recovers to see Terence, Patrick and Fran have taken over his patch. Fran is Terence's enemy and Fran/Patrick are out to get Nidge. Nidge however has valuable allies in Terence and Tony and it is all out war. Tommy wakes up to discover all he has lost and he wants both Patrick and Nidge dead more than anyone.

2. Nidge is dead, we continue with the same characters: Terence take charge of Nidge's affairs and leads him into dealings with the likes of Fran, Tony and Patrick, some of who will be his allies and some his enemies. Tommy wakes up and wants Patrick dead.

3. New characters in Dublin: A new reboot with a new gang is another option. This could be completely new set of characters or could take in one or 2 present characters like Terence, Patrick, Noelie and Fran plus a complete new set. Most of the action would be based on new storylines.

4. New characters but elsewhere: Perhaps if we were going down the road of totally new characters (or mostly new anyway), a move to another location would be good. You could explore the Limerick gangland (all new characters), traveller feuds set in some place like Carrick on Shannon, Mohill or Longford (Patrick and new characters: possibly get Fran in there too). Or an IRA/LVF orientated story set in Belfast exploring IRA's feuds with drug dealers and loyalist feuds. Tony could come in here.

5. The prequel series: here, all are alive. Familiar characters like Darren, John Boy, Fran, Nidge, Tommy, Dano, etc. and how then all came into being. Perhaps have Terence as John Boy's boss with Terence then going to Spain and John taking over? Also, add in some other disposable characters and maybe explore characters like Martin the corrupt garda in more detail?

I do like the sound of a prequel series. A decent part of it could be set in Spain, Darren did mention he was there before the events of S1 started. Even Big Balls could play a part. I doubt though that Aidan Gillen and Robert Sheehan would want to come back to Love/Hate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I like the prequel idea too. It'd also bring Darren's brother, Robbie, into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

?

This would be great. They can't come back in season 6 and just have a totally different gang but still have the story based on Dublin gangland - what else do they have left to explore in Dublin gangland? But I really like the idea of what you've said, an IRA/LVF feud based in the North would be brilliant, as there would be a political element to accompany the gang side of it. Furthermore, a series about traveller feuds would be very good if it was done properly.

It'd be great if Stuart did one of these, send him an e-mail there ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I think the finale is expiring on the RTE player in a few hours. I'm going to give it a rewatch now, haven't seen it since Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I think the finale is expiring on the RTE player in a few hours. I'm going to give it a rewatch now, haven't seen it since Sunday

Just after watching it there again , if Nidge and Fran kept their usual guard up it would have ended alot differently .

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    I do like the sound of a prequel series. A decent part of it could be set in Spain, Darren did mention he was there before the events of S1 started. Even Big Balls could play a part. I doubt though that Aidan Gillen and Robert Sheehan would want to come back to Love/Hate though.

Whatever about Gillen, i couldnt see Sheehan doing it. Gillen to his credit is a great man for supporting the start up acts. Sheehan i suppose could be too but he is a young man who is trying to get his career off the ground and is breaking a bit of ground in the US. I would honestly say that Love/Hate made Sheehan more famous then Misfits.

Id love if 'cueball' Hughie was brought back. He was a sensational character. in my opinion, his performance in Series 1 laid the foundations of the success that the show enjoys today. He had the same unpredictability factor that Fran had.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised now if they go they Underbelly root and keep the Love/Hate name but set other series in different places & era's.

Id love an Irish version of Underbelly.

It could start with the Dunnes in the 70s/80s and move on toward the rise of the General and John Gilligan, etc and on towards the present day crims. The problem is that many of these scumbags still alive could and would probably sue for defamation of character. Underbelly presented a legal minefield for the makers. The very first episode for example couldnt be aired in the state of Victoria as there was an injunction on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I very much doubt that Fran will be a force to be reckoned with in any future series. He'll probably be put in protective custody, and if my very basic knowledge of prison society is correct, he'll be a laughing stock, especially with that video recorded of his rape. I'd say he'd kill himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Fran and his type would die trying to seek vengeance. He'd rather get the face booted off himself in an attempt to get Noelie than commit suicide.

So Ironic that Nidge wouldnt let it lie with Patrick last season despite Patricks reassurances. The very paranoia that kept him alive, ended up being his downfall.

Fran and his type would die trying to seek vengeance. He'd rather get the face booted off himself in an attempt to get Noelie than commit suicide.

We can only wonder now. Looks like that storyline is being left hanging in the air. Presumably Nidge and Siobhan died and Fran was close too it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I know people are comparing Love/Hate to Underbelly, but people are forgetting that they are not one and the same.

Underbelly is based on Real people and Real events.
    Love/Hate is fiction.

:) and a fantastic fiction at that!!!

:( my boxset will be wore out by the time it returns :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

So Ironic that Nidge wouldnt let it lie with Patrick last season despite Patricks reassurances. The very paranoia that kept him alive, ended up being his downfall.

Yes, this was a seemingly fatal mistake for Nidge. Remember in the last episode of series 2, Nidge tells Trish that things will be easier without John Boy who he considered too paranoid. A couple of seasons later, Nidge was totally paranoid: of a real threat (Dano) and of others he made into threats (Patrick, Fran). Nidge completely underestimated Patrick and ended up with both him and Fran as 2 major enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

With Love/Hate gone we should have a mass rewatch on Sunday nights 9pm to 10pm. Start from the very first episode. Watch and post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Series 5 DVD is out on Monday in Xtravision €14.99 for anyone who needs to catch up.

Dunnes have it for €12.99.

Yes, this was a seemingly fatal mistake for Nidge. Remember in the last episode of series 2, Nidge tells Trish that things will be easier without John Boy who he considered too paranoid. A couple of seasons later, Nidge was totally paranoid: of a real threat (Dano) and of others he made into threats (Patrick, Fran). Nidge completely underestimated Patrick and ended up with both him and Fran as 2 major enemies.

The 'ghost' of John Boy staring at him at the end of that episode where John Boy was whacked (S2 E5), was euphimistic. Soon after Nidge had his own CCTV camera's installed. He had stepped into his predecessors shoes. Yes he was fine until he had to deal with conflict. The mess with the RA opened up a whole new tin of worms. Cracks began appearing in his relationship with Fran which was further exacerbated when he seen Patrick buying a dog from Fran.

As tensions were already high there, Patrick had to go before things were worse. Patrick was a minor scab that Nidge just had to pick away at and it ultimately came back to haunt him. Just when things were cooling down, Nidge makes the silly remark about nits....so twas the Nits that killed him in the end :)

deise08 wrote: »
    I know people are comparing Love/Hate to Underbelly, but people are forgetting that they are not one and the same.

Underbelly is based on Real people and Real events.
    Love/Hate is fiction.

:) and a fantastic fiction at that!!!

:( my boxset will be wore out by the time it returns :(

Ah yeah we know that but believe it or not there is a lot of similarities too with characters. Chris Flannery (S2) and Mr Running man (believed to be
    a man called Victor Brincat
    were very similar to both Fran and Hughie. The portrayal of Andrew Veniamin had many similarities to the portrayal of Darren.

Love/hate is based on many real events barring the fact that the characters are fictitious.

And while Underbelly was based on real characters and real events, the dialogue and personality portrayals are a work of fiction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement