Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Lads why wasnt it on this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Get ta feck back under your rock!!!

The whole set fell after Nidge was shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The 'ghost' of John Boy staring at him at the end of that episode where John Boy was whacked (S2 E5), was euphimistic. Soon after Nidge had his own CCTV camera's installed. He had stepped into his predecessors shoes. Yes he was fine until he had to deal with conflict. The mess with the RA opened up a whole new tin of worms. Cracks began appearing in his relationship with Fran which was further exacerbated when he seen Patrick buying a dog from Fran.

As tensions were already high there, Patrick had to go before things were worse. Patrick was a minor scab that Nidge just had to pick away at and it ultimately came back to haunt him. Just when things were cooling down, Nidge makes the silly remark about nits....so twas the Nits that killed him in the end :)

Nidge was overall a very different man from the end of season 3 onwards than up until then. In seasons 1 and 2, he was doing grand until John Boy told him he had to pipe bomb Fran's place (this act ultimately would come back to cause him unending problems in the second part of season 4 and all of season 5). But he did it and found himself for the first time doing something that he considered totally wrong.

As someone who did not approve of the John Boy v Fran dispute, he found himself involved to the extent he had to move his family out of the house for Christmas that year. The first sense of paranoid Nidge perhaps? Later, Nidge decided to get rid of John Boy as he and Darren could work better without him. Nidge kills Luke and even contemplates killing Darren for a second it would seem. The paranoia in Nidge was already there.

Season 3 saw him at his cunning best. Fran now is firmly in the Nidge camp and the two of them along with Darren and Tommy seem to be in total control. But then Ado is kneecapped by the IRA and Darren threatens a war with them and Nidge has to successfully defuse things. Later on, Nidge has to contend with the killing of Git and dealing with his son Dano. He at first manages to convince Dano it was Elmo and his cousin who did this but later on, all the evidence points towards Nidge. Luckily Nidge senses in Tony (superior to Dano) a pragmatic man who could use Nidge's skills and does a deal with Tony (to have Darren killed thus appeasing Dano and to help ship in guns) thus surviving. Still, Nidge's hitting of Tommy and putting him in a coma showed how close to loosing it he was.

Season 4 sees the return of a much more paranoid, more broken Nidge. He has disputes with Fran over Fran's issues with Tommy. He is paranoid of Dano still. He is guilty over Darren and Tommy. And he now has more cops to deal with. Eventually, we get a repeat of how season 3 was resolved with another meeting with Tony and Tony arranges to have Dano killed. So, Nidge can go back to doing business as usual? No. Next thing he sees Patrick Ward, who he got the pipebomb off of to throw at Fran's wife's place, meeting Fran. So, Nidge decides he needs to be whacked. But an attempted hit on him proves unsuccessful and he flees. Nidge then has Wayne and Lizzie killed at the end of 4 and start of 5.

In season 5, Nidge and Fran's relationship hits a new low with Nidge hitting Fran and interrogating him about killing of Andrew the dentist in season 4. Fran begs for his life and Nidge spars him. Even as of here, Fran was still a friend and ally of Nidge's. But things turn totally nasty from here on in for Nidge. Nidge with his new ally Pauley attempts another unsuccessful hit on Patrick. Patrick tells Fran about Nidge getting the pipe bomb and Fran is out to kill Nidge and both have a fight in the prison when Nidge visits Fran (caught by the cops on the way to kill Nidge). The war goes on with unsuccessful attempts by Nidge (through Noelie and Pottsy) to kill Fran and by Fran to kill Nidge. By the end, Nidge has exhausted all his options and has too many enemies: Patrick, Fran and Siobhan were all once friends of Nidge's but turned into enemies due to Nidge's paranoia. If last week was the last we see of Nidge, then we can say paranoia killed him.

Get ta feck back under your rock!!!

Oscar Wilde
    Irony is lost on the stupid

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

What? It was on. Great episode. Trish came running out and swung at Patrick with a bread knife but he got away. She threw the knife at him, it hit the car instead, burst a tyre.

She goes over to cradle Nidge and that's when he reveals he was wearing a very thin bullet proof vest, one with exploding fake blood capsules to fool your enemy.

Coppers then showed up and hunted through the house but never found the bone. Don't know how they missed it.

Fran is found by the prison guards and spends a long time in recovery. During this time he discovers Jesus but a smirk to the camera leaves us all wondering if it's some kind of long con.

At the end of the episode we see Nidge, Trish, Warren and JB Jr have moved out of Dublin. Nidges close call has made him appreciate his family and he has decided to leave his life of crime.

In the final scene as they're leaving the house we see Warren playing with the bone. So that must be why the police never found it, the young lad had got to it first. Trish calls for him to get into the car and he throws the bone away. The titles flash up with the bone as the slash in Love/Hate.

Great episode, really tied up some loose ends. Don't know how you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

paddy ward also decides to challenge nidge to bare knuckle fight as it is the best way to settle a dispute. Nidge laughs nervously but accepts and losses but they all end up in the pub laughing having a few and just having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mark my words, there will be another season of Love/Hate in 2015 as usual. All the "not next year" stuff is a ruse designed to ensure that the Daily Mirror bastards don't bother chasing spoilers.
    Pretty much everything that came out in the media prior to Season 6 was balls (or as Nidge would say, balllllllllllls ;) )
    • Nidge "moving" to Spain
    • Elmo's funeral
    • Tommy falling off the balcony
    • Tommy not making it past episode one
    And definitely a few others which escape my mind at the moment. The Love/Hate crew spent the entire season trolling the sh!te out of the media, probably really enjoying a little payback ;), and as far as I'm concerned all bets are off regarding the media and Love/Hate. I'm not believing anything that's reported for the future until it actually happens (or doesn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jumboman wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Limerick version of Love/Hate.

Ah Jaysus, no thanks. I don't think I could handle the accents.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Mark my words, there will be another season of Love/Hate in 2015 as usual. All the "not next year" stuff is a ruse designed to ensure that the Daily Mirror bastards don't bother chasing spoilers.
    Pretty much everything that came out in the media prior to Season 6 was balls (or as Nidge would say, balllllllllllls ;) )
    • Nidge "moving" to Spain
    • Elmo's funeral
    • Tommy falling off the balcony
    • Tommy not making it past episode one
    And definitely a few others which escape my mind at the moment. The Love/Hate crew spent the entire season trolling the sh!te out of the media, probably really enjoying a little payback ;), and as far as I'm concerned all bets are off regarding the media and Love/Hate. I'm not believing anything that's reported for the future until it actually happens (or doesn't).

Yes, it was all a mix of a half baked view of what actually happened. What they reported was about half true:

-Nidge visited but did not move to Spain. He went there 2 times to meet Terence.
    -The funeral was Pauley's and not Elmo's. Elmo ended up in prison but not dead.
    -It was Pauley, not Tommy, who fell over the balcony of course. I heard that either Tommy or Elmo would have this fate but it was Pauley.
    -Tommy was kept alive and if anything showed signs of recovery as the episodes progressed.

I would as well have a feeling that the media are deliberately misled. What I believe will actually happen:

-Love/Hate will be back in some form next year as it is way too popular to end at this stage.
    -I believe Nidge will survive too and we are lead by all to believe he is dead. He has become the show and other stories in particular Fran's revenge and Trish's realisation Nidge may be involved in awful acts would be explored better if Nidge was alive.
    -Likewise, I feel Tommy was kept alive for a reason and again a recovered Tommy's storylines are more interesting with Nidge around. Tommy has got to remember who hit him (or if he doesn't, detective Moynihan will inform him) and then also finds out Siobhan is dead. Ironically, Tommy will have 2 enemies (who also happen to be enemies of each other): Nidge and Patrick.
    -Elmo could be used as part of prison-run drug operation.
    -Fran will probably get out early on some technicality.
    -Ado and Nadine will progress very much next time around and could play off rivalries in other characters to do so.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, no thanks. I don't think I could handle the accents.

Nidge has operations in Limerick from what we are informed in series 4. This would imply all the gang have too. Perhaps, Nidge recovers and decides he and his family are not safe in Dublin and go to Limerick. Unknown to him, Fran the man and Noelie are released and Fran also goes to Limerick unaware Nidge is there so as to escape Noelie. Then, you could have Nidge and Fran team up with some local McCarthy-Dundon types and have both meet up realising they are both now based in the same place. Nidge would tell Noelie, Terence and Tony to meet him in Limerick and do deals and Fran would do similar with Patrick. And then ... all out war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

i see patrick is in to bare knuckle boxing with his big swollen innocent head on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Does anyone know which part of Dubbers Love/Hate was set in? As in, what part were "the lads" (Nidge, Darren, Tommy, Elmo) all supposed to be from? John Boy too I spose. Is it ever referenced? Are any of the places it was shot clearly identifiable? I had me ears peeled all thru it for mentions but don't remember any, except in the final episode when The Guards talk about the suspect driving on the "Navan Road".

bazarakus wrote: »
    Does anyone know which part of Dubbers Love/Hate was set in? As in, what part were "the lads" (Nidge, Darren, Tommy, Elmo) all supposed to be from? John Boy too I spose. Is it ever referenced? Are any of the places it was shot clearly identifiable? I had me ears peeled all thru it for mentions but don't remember any, except in the final episode when The Guards talk about the suspect driving on the "Navan Road".

Well there's plenty of identifiable locations in the show, but a lot of it doesn't (and doesn't need to) make logistical sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jumboman wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Limerick version of Love/Hate.

Starring the Rubberbandits as drug kingpins! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

wheres Dubbers ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

People dont actually say dubbers do they? Jesus christ ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Yes, it was all a mix of a half baked view of what actually happened. What they reported was about half true:

-Nidge visited but did not move to Spain. He went there 2 times to meet Terence.
    -The funeral was Pauley's and not Elmo's. Elmo ended up in prison but not dead.
    -It was Pauley, not Tommy, who fell over the balcony of course. I heard that either Tommy or Elmo would have this fate but it was Pauley.
    -Tommy was kept alive and if anything showed signs of recovery as the episodes progressed.

I would as well have a feeling that the media are deliberately misled. What I believe will actually happen:

-Love/Hate will be back in some form next year as it is way too popular to end at this stage.
    -I believe Nidge will survive too and we are lead by all to believe he is dead. He has become the show and other stories in particular Fran's revenge and Trish's realisation Nidge may be involved in awful acts would be explored better if Nidge was alive.
    -Likewise, I feel Tommy was kept alive for a reason and again a recovered Tommy's storylines are more interesting with Nidge around. Tommy has got to remember who hit him (or if he doesn't, detective Moynihan will inform him) and then also finds out Siobhan is dead. Ironically, Tommy will have 2 enemies (who also happen to be enemies of each other): Nidge and Patrick.
    -Elmo could be used as part of prison-run drug operation.
    -Fran will probably get out early on some technicality.
    -Ado and Nadine will progress very much next time around and could play off rivalries in other characters to do so.

yikes. let them stay dead the feckers.

Northside? Southside? WESTSIDE???!!

• Advertisement

apparently the latest is that the eventual 6th series will be based out of spain which is why they need more time than usual to make the series and will reference the old gang back in dublin from time to time, essentially a spin off but the same show, no doubt it will centre around big balls and his international empire

jezzer wrote: »
    apparently the latest is that the eventual 6th series will be based out of spain which is why they need more time than usual to make the series and will reference the old gang back in dublin from time to time, essentially a spin off but the same show, no doubt it will centre around big balls and his international empire

Will it be set in a specific part of Spain or ... ?

And more importantly will they spalsh out and take a different shot of the auld plane landing. Break a fiver, RTE!:rolleyes:

jezzer wrote: »

And a one year (at least) rumour mill begins.

Look what you made do. You made me use my least favourite smilie.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Can someone refresh my memory. How did Fran fall foul of Nidge in this series? Something to do with the dentist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can someone refresh my memory. How did Fran fall foul of Nidge in this series? Something to do with the dentist?
    initially yeah...would have been one of the conditions for the loan, get rid of rats...calm fran down...then he knew fran knew about the pipe bomb and he had to take him out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

initially yeah...would have been one of the conditions for the loan, get rid of rats...calm fran down...then he knew fran knew about the pipe bomb and he had to take him out

What made Fran become an enemy of Nidge before the bomb news.

Was it Fran was mental and killed the dentist and Nidge couldn't trust him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He was told to sort Him out by Terrence, for being careless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Gits_bone wrote: »
    What made Fran become an enemy of Nidge before the bomb news.

Was it Fran was mental and killed the dentist and Nidge couldn't trust him?

Was it not to do with nidge being sketchy about the whole dentist shipment stuff and keeping fran out of the loop with that so fran went to the dentist's house to find out more and then killed him

Fran was off the bleedin' rails before he found out Nidge blew up his Mrs. (and she blew him).

Trouble with Fran is the writer hasn't decided what he wants to be. Mad Fran, Gangsta Fran, Funny Fran, Deadly Fran.

Fran was off the bleedin' rails before he found out Nidge blew up his Mrs. (and she blew him).

Trouble with Fran is the writer hasn't decided what he wants to be. Mad Fran, Gangsta Fran, Funny Fran, Deadly Fran.

Same could be said of Nidge. Happy-go-lucky Nidge, hard man Nidge, whimpering schoolboy Nidge or dead Nidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

el diablo wrote: »
    They should give Leo from Fair City a call. I'd love to see him as a gangland boss in Love/Hate.

Terrence Big Balls goes to war with Leo Jazz Hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Nidge is deffo gone how do they get people to believe he was wearing a bulletproof vest under a t shirt.

wadacrack wrote: »
    paddy ward also decides to challenge nidge to bare knuckle fight as it is the best way to settle a dispute. Nidge laughs nervously but accepts and losses but they all end up in the pub laughing having a few and just having a laugh

Nidge subsequently ended up crying into Muganty's face like a big child...twasnt riiigght.

why cant he be all? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

ASOT wrote: »
    People dont actually say dubbers do they? Jesus christ ....

People who go to Trinners probably do...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

According to The Mirror the next series will focus on Patrick. I will take their story with a pinch of salt! http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/lovehate-patrick-new-nidge-traveller-4641035 I highly doubt anyone from the Love/Hate would tell the media anything at this stage and it just doesn't seem feasible to me. Nidge is dead = The show is dead imo - at least in its current form and as we know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Maybe it'll focus on the cops. Cig will have a breakdown after all the shennagians of the last season.
    Between overlooking Siobhan pushing Paulie off the balcony, knowing she was going to plant evidence on Nidge and regretting he never took advantage of her when she was drunk, he'll crack up and start trolling Boards.ie through the Pulse computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

paulbok wrote: »
    Maybe it'll focus on the cops. Cig will have a breakdown after all the shennagians of the last season.
    Between overlooking Siobhan pushing Paulie off the balcony, knowing she was going to plant evidence on Nidge and regretting he never took advantage of her when she was drunk, he'll crack up and start trolling Boards.ie through the Pulse computer.

They don't have computers in 70% of the police stations and PULSE only works on Windows 98 or earlier. So we should be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They don't have computers in 70% of the police stations and PULSE only works on Windows 98 or earlier. So we should be safe.

Slightly off topic but you should change your user name to the Floating Crowbar as its also a really amazing reel or tune, dum dicka dum dicka dum dicka dunk!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

And a one year (at least) rumour mill begins.

Look what you made do. You made me use my least favourite smilie.

:rolleyes:

Time to unfollow, I like having lived out of the country for the last few years as I wasn't constantly bombarded with spoilers and updates from filming locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    According to The Mirror the next series will focus on Patrick. I will take their story with a pinch of salt! http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/lovehate-patrick-new-nidge-traveller-4641035 I highly doubt anyone from the Love/Hate would tell the media anything at this stage and it just doesn't seem feasible to me. Nidge is dead = The show is dead imo - at least in its current form and as we know it

that sounds ****.

Patrick was a good character but they are what they are. I thought the portrayal of the travelers on Love hate was far too positive.

The travelers who are involved in drugs/bombs/killins are every bit as scummy and low as the settled people. They have no moral code. Paddy wasn't a decent guy he was a ****ing scum bag. sitting in his little shed making killing devices. Oh but we here and see him interact with his little son (future killing scumbag in the making)

Most father do this anyway so all in all he was scummy **** and im bored of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

For one thing I don't think he's a strong enough actor to carry the show. I didn't buy into his big scene this season cutting yer man's throat at all. He's a good character and all but I wouldn't have much interest in it if that's the route they go down.

Terrance is the only way to go in my opinion. He seemed decent and it would keep the cops in it(as he's supposed to be this big player). Maybe he sends his men to try and take over Nidges turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ziedth wrote: »
    For one thing I don't think he's a strong enough actor to carry the show. I didn't buy into his big scene this season cutting yer man's throat at all.

A lot of people have got that whole scene wrong. There was even a post way back where the poster said that he should have been covered in blood at the end of that scene. Let me put you all straight on what actually happened in that murder scene.

Patrick used the knife to cut the guy's hands free and then proceeded to break his neck using his arm and pure physical strength, hence the missing blood the other poster was banging on about.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I didn't understand the plan where paddy would run out the pub with paulie chasing after him firing.

Chances are he would have shot him in the legs or head

Just a needless risk I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Watching all five seasons again for the craic ;)

During season 4, who's the lad loitering outside Terry's gaff and creeping him out? Is that ever explained?
    Also, is it ever explained how Moynihan figured out that Martin was a double agent? That scene always seems a bit random to me when I rewatch, almost as if there might have been a deleted scene somewhere that showed the lads monitoring him or something...

Will it be set in a specific part of Spain or ... ?

And more importantly will they spalsh out and take a different shot of the auld plane landing. Break a fiver, RTE!:rolleyes:

The Marbella area where big balls is based, an Irish person working in conjunction with the Spanish tourist board let it slip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I didn't understand the plan where paddy would run out the pub with paulie chasing after him firing.

Chances are he would have shot him in the legs or head

Just a needless risk I thought

head shots on a man running away from you? Have you seen the standard of a typical gangland hitman? they're lucky to hit the same county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Beano wrote: »
    head shots on a man running away from you? Have you seen the standard of a typical gangland hitman? they're lucky to hit the same county.

Except for of course Darren, although he is out of it now but he was the only one of Nidge's men who actually done target practise before a hit, thats why it phucked up Nidge when he had to take him out, as he was not only a friend but his best hit man ever. Darren would have got Patrick had he been still around.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Season 3 had quite a few identifiable places, it's one of the reasons that I love that season the most. A lot of it was filmed around Dublin 8, particularly the quays and Thomas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

The Sunday world had an article today about some film maker who is creating a fictional gangland series for TV3. Supposedly it's going to rival Love/Hate, and the film maker (Mark O'Connor) feels it will be the most realistic portrayal of gangland. He's not concerned about two similar Tv shows being done at the same time.

There's no point being cynical and I'd love to see another great Tv show like Love/Hate, but it will be interesting to see how this develops in terms of authenticity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Sunday world had an article today about some film maker who is creating a fictional gangland series for TV3. Supposedly it's going to rival Love/Hate, and the film maker (Mark O'Connor) feels it will be the most realistic portrayal of gangland. He's not concerned about two similar Tv shows being done at the same time.

I reckon we may stop being so harsh on Love/Hate if that comes out.

Advertisement