Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

figs666 wrote: »
    he owed money to ado but was clean for three months ? how so Mr Han Man ?

Wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

he owed money to ado but was clean for three months ? how so Mr Han Man ?

I suppose he couldn't afford any 3 months ago (because of the debt) and still couldn't when Ado tracked him down. Why didn't Packy just move to Galway or Doolin then and grow his hair so Ado wouldn't recognise him.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

I suppose he couldn't afford any 3 months ago (because of the debt) and still couldn't when Ado tracked him down. Why didn't Packy just move to Galway or Doolin then and grow his hair so Ado wouldn't recognise him.

ado is a prick for driving off when reborn junkie got caught by paddy the creamer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ah but it's like they say 'He who fights and runs away, lives to run away again another day.'

Ah but it's like they say 'He who fights and runs away, lives to run away again another day.'

ado is pure scum

ado is pure scum

Sure Aido sold Darren out after Darren retaliating against the RA on his behalf. Darren also let Elmo off on numerous occasions only to be betrayed on numerous occasions (When Hughie tried to shoot Darren and also when himself and Aido tried to kill Darren in the multistorey carpark)

Aido as a character though is comedy gold. The onscreen dynamic between himself and Nadine is absolutely brilliant. Two excellent characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

ado is pure scum

He seems like a decent oul skin to me :)https://www.facebook.com/RipAidosBudgie?ref=hl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

ado is pure scum

Ah here, leave it out. He's harmless. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »

he is a horrible person

• Advertisement

he is a horrible person

Tried to force himself on Debbie a few years ago. She had passed out after taking heroin which he supplied her with.

Tried to force himself on Debbie a few years ago. She had passed out after taking heroin which he supplied her with.

a dirtbird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Depends on who you compare him to. While Ado has not personally killed anyone, he was in the thick of setting up and helping with many killings. Very few harmless characters in Love/Hate.

redbuck wrote: »
    He seems like a decent oul skin to me :)https://www.facebook.com/RipAidosBudgie?ref=hl

redbuck . that says a lot about you . scumbag

Depends on who you compare him to. While Ado has not personally killed anyone, he was in the thick of setting up and helping with many killings. Very few harmless characters in Love/Hate.

Otherwise it would be called Love/Love :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

King Nidge's trainers donated to Pieta House

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Even Mary wasn't harmless if you think about it, despite spending two seasons haranguing Darren about his lifestyle and his involvement in the gang, when she needed someone clipped she all but asked him to do it. In my view anyway, without ever explicitly saying it, she effectively asked Darren to finish off Luke for her.

EDIT: I suppose poor 'auld Debbie was harmless enough, unless you're a fish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They a all had their good points really. For example, Tommy didn't raise a hand to anyone this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

^^^^^
    That's definitely worth a thank.

• Advertisement

Even Mary wasn't harmless if you think about it, despite spending two seasons haranguing Darren about his lifestyle and his involvement in the gang, when she needed someone clipped she all but asked him to do it. In my view anyway, without ever explicitly saying it, she effectively asked Darren to finish off Luke for her.

EDIT: I suppose poor 'auld Debbie was harmless enough, unless you're a fish :pac:

That is true. Mary was trying to get Darren to give up her life of crime but she was also worried about Luke and his obsession. When she needed Darren (and Nidge) as ganglanders, she had them and used them. At the very end, when looking at his missing poster she seemed to regret it but yes it was her who got him killed sort of (Nidge could have killed him anyway for knowing too much about John Boy's death and that was the real reason Nidge killed him probably).

Debbie was harmless enough other than the fish and robbing her mother. She was not violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

John Boy's death and that was the real reason Nidge killed him probably).

Debbie was harmless enough other than the fish and robbing her mother. She was not violent.

She was an ould cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

What's this about Debbie and a fish? I cant help but picture something similar to that scene with Neil from the Inbetweeners.

In fairness I only started watching Love/Hate from the third series onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm currently watching a doc about Japanese history that's going on about the Edo period which the guy is pronouncing as...:p

lovehate-13-630x420.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

So... has anyone come up with any further idea's of Love/Hate's future?

Rumours that it's currently over as we know it, and that a 6th season will entail different characters and even a different setting. How can that still be called Love/Hate though? I've never heard of that happening, it doesn't seem to be the done thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Underbelly and true detective are a couple of examples.

• Advertisement

Underbelly and true detective are a couple of examples.

True, but how long was underbelly running with one story-line before changing it? I know that true detective is going to be changing each season.

If Love/Hate had decided to change story-line after 3 seasons, then it might have made sense. Having 5 seasons of a show and then a complete overhaul of the storyline but keeping the same name.... it just doesn't seem proper. Not meaning to be pedantic, but you know what I mean!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah you're right in that the site is far too dependent on Nidge and co at this stage to go changing it up. They might be able to reinvent it by changing to a Limerick setting but it wouldn't really be love hate.

Yeah you're right in that the site is far too dependent on Nidge and co at this stage to go changing it up. They might be able to reinvent it by changing to a Limerick setting but it wouldn't really be love hate.

Exactly. I mean it's not like there's some law where one can't change story-line but keep the same brand, but it's just not the done thing after 5 seasons.

If there is a 6th season, it will have to start off in Dublin and still have a few of the same cast. Maybe they can start slowly killing off the Dublin story-line in season 6 by introducing new characters and gradually moving it down to Limerick..

But for the 6th season to start off in Limerick - or even Belfast - with a totally different cast, yet still be called Love/Hate.... wouldn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Exactly. I mean it's not like there's some law where one can't change story-line but keep the same brand, but it's just not the done thing after 5 seasons.

If there is a 6th season, it will have to start off in Dublin and still have a few of the same cast. Maybe they can start slowly killing off the Dublin story-line in season 6 by introducing new characters and gradually moving it down to Limerick..

But for the 6th season to start off in Limerick - or even Belfast - with a totally different cast, yet still be called Love/Hate.... wouldn't make sense.
    Underbelly has changed title for this year fat tony and co
    Something about funding from arts council for the underbelly title only lasting so many years
    Different story every year, a few crossovers where one main character met another from another series, it worked well though
    Love hate should be left alone but rte will see a money maker and make a balls of it

Something about funding from arts council for the underbelly title only lasting so many years
    Different story every year, a few crossovers where one main character met another from another series, it worked well though
    Love hate should be left alone but rte will see a money maker and make a balls of it

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about a potential Belfast storyline between IRA and Loyalist gangs. A lot of potential there as it could also somewhat incorporate a political element into it.

Don't know how a Limerick storyline would work though, would just be the same stuff we've seen already except with a different accent.

• Advertisement

A Limerick version of Love/Hate? Think I'd have to give that one a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fat Tony and Co ran concurrently to season 1 and beyond really, just couldnt go into much detail in it at the time since the case was still on going.

So... has anyone come up with any further idea's of Love/Hate's future?

Rumours that it's currently over as we know it, and that a 6th season will entail different characters and even a different setting. How can that still be called Love/Hate though? I've never heard of that happening, it doesn't seem to be the done thing.

I wouldn't rule in or out anything to be honest. What we are left with at the end of season 5 was a cliffhanger finale. We are to assume that Nidge and Siobhan are dead and that Fran is pretty much out of the action for a while.

Very little if anything has been said from sources close to the series. Tom implied season 5 was his last but this all could be done to keep one guessing and surprised.

We will see where things go. Nidge has become so synonymous with the series he has become it. Ironically, it was meant to be all about Darren's struggles with feelings of his love and hate for different characters (Rosie (Love) and Hughie/John Boy (Hate)) but by season 2, Nidge had become the favourite. Seasons 3, 4 and 5 were written for Nidge.

Killing off a favourite character at the height of his fame may or may not work if the intention is to carry on. Certainly, Love/Hate with Nidge still alive makes things more interesting: Fran seeks revenge, Tommy wakes up and realises Nidge has ruined his life, and all these other storylines are too closely related to Nidge (as said, series 3-5 have been written as the Nidge series). Fran however remains a very strong and popular character and a season exploring him at a deeper level would be very interesting.

Interestingly, the revival of Dallas only lasted one season after JR. In this case, Larry Hagman died and there was no real option but to kill off the character. Any interest in the series then died. Again, the reason was that the series was so much focused on this character.

So, it is hard to know what will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

How about a Mayo version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Gits_bone wrote: »

Or maybe Leitrim ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the story of the limerick feud, if done correctly would be the greatest and most gruesome irish series ever...it's writes itself, just needs expert hands (our man carolan) to make it work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

the story of the limerick feud, if done correctly would be the greatest and most gruesome irish series ever...it's writes itself, just needs expert hands (our man carolan) to make it work

Wasn't there something about a faked kidnapping to draw out the main guy in the other faction...horrendous stuff obviously but if you're looking for a gripping crime storyline...

Not that i would suggest profiting from innocent victims but the tragic slaying of Shane Geoghaen and Roy Collns would really bring the reality of gangland home to viewers. Of course it is something that would have to be treated with the utmost sensitivity

Gits_bone wrote: »

Would have to be renamed Enda/Kenny ...

Wait a minute? What is Ado's second name again! Could be onto something ...

Bullocks wrote: »
    Or maybe Leitrim ?

Rename it to Lovely/Lovely :)

• Advertisement

Yes. A Love/Hate style true story series on the Limerick feud would be excellent. Stuart Carolan writes the scrip and have the same team of directors and producers who did Love/Hate as well. Plus the appropriate actors from it too to play the characters.

Not that i would suggest profiting from innocent victims but the tragic slaying of Shane Geoghaen and Roy Collns would really bring the reality of gangland home to viewers. Of course it is something that would have to be treated with the utmost sensitivity

Yes, I agree here. Perhaps it would be too close to the bone and it would need permission from the families involved and the city of Limerick obviously. Of course, Love/Hate did touch on many of the aspects of this feud and everyone knows what is depicted in this series is very much real life and only the names as fictional.

Love/Hate has borrowed a lot of themes from actual events if you think about it - does anyone else get the vibe that pretty much all of season 2 (and to a certain extent season 4) were derived from the Crumlin-Drimnagh feud? A drug shipment was caught by the Gardai back in 2000 and the gang split over rat accusations, in Love/Hate the shipment is caught and it causes a mini gang war (Fran vs John Boy), with a subsequent rat storyline in the whole Stumpy / Tommy / Aido hotel room bust.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hughie shooting himself in Season 1 also happened in real life in Limerick.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hughie shooting himself in Season 1 also happened in real life in Limerick.

Did it?! Sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Did it?! Sauce?

Sauce? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Love/Hate has borrowed a lot of themes from actual events if you think about it - .

Didn't a prisoner die in Long Kesh/The Maze with a pool cue shove up his arse in the late 1990s

Advertisement