Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Barnavave wrote: »
    Didn't a prisoner die in Long Kesh/The Maze with a pool cue shove up his arse in the late 1990s

Yes, I believe so. This was done to him first but he was later shot and his orignal wounds did not kill him. So, don't worry, Fran the man is safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Yes, I believe so. This was done to him first but he was later shot and his orignal wounds did not kill him. So, don't worry, Fran the man is safe!

He definitely wasn't shot, they made it look like a suicide, either way he won't be appearing at the Crucible.

The Irish Time had an article on it recently but I can't post the link as I am considered a "new user".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Came across a good site recently that has all the seasons & individual episodes available to watch. Don't know if I can post it here but it would be great for anyone who may be overseas (Don't think it's Geo blocked) or anyone who either hasn't seen it or wants to watch it again.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, somehow I doubt you could post that site here, it'd probably be a "pirate" site.

I used such sites a couple of times for Love/Hate before, the RTE Player doesn't like my AdBlocker! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Note

Don't ask where you can download/stream TV shows or give any links to them. In fact, stay away from discussion of downloading altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TheProdigalTom

I came across a Joe Dolan CD, that reminded me of one of our favourite characters.
    Strikes me there's some similarity?

Unfortunately "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user", so if you want, you may judge for yourselves by combining:

i.imgur.com/
    ZP3WLuJ.jpg

Or try Yci4ari.jpg for the merge (Fran Dolan? Featuring such hits as....)

Is there a Christmas Special this year? :pac:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I came across a Joe Dolan CD, that reminded me of one of our favourite characters.
    Strikes me there's some similarity?

Unfortunately "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user"

Here you go

ZP3WLuJ.jpg

Thanks, gadgetman, for popping that up for me.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Can someone help settle a debate I'm having? Who killed Darren?

• Advertisement

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Can someone help settle a debate I'm having? Who killed Darren?

Lizzie from the IRA in revenge for her brother Paddy who was killed when Darren saved Nidge earlier in that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

lizzie I think

lizzie I think

Lizzie actually killed him. Tony had asked Nidge to organise a hit on Darren to close off the Git issue. Nidge got Ado and Elmo to kill Darren but they fail and Lizzie gets him instead. Of course, Lizzie was working with her friend Dano on this and not for Nidge and/or Tony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Wonder what Fran is hoping Santa will bring tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Wonder what Fran is hoping Santa will bring tonight?

3350173A66UC294871X.jpg

Another question if anyone can help out.

How did Siobhan find out it was Nidge who attacked Tommy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

She didn't, she just suspected it all along........ The detective told her it was the case too actually

gufc21 wrote: »
    She didn't, she just suspected it all along........ The detective told her it was the case too actually

Cheers. How did the detective have any idea though?

They both could see the holes in the story that Nidge was telling about what happened.

- The detective maybe simply because he was used to the way their type operated (ie hurt people and lie about it).
    - Siobhan because Nidge told her two contradictory things: 1. that Nigerians did it, and 2. that there was nobody who saw who did it. So, as Siobhan asked the detective too, how did Nidge know that Nigerians did it?
    - Siobhan was also suspicious because she could tell that Darren was angry at the same time, which she also said to the detective.

Another question if anyone can help out.

How did Siobhan find out it was Nidge who attacked Tommy?

I think Siobhan kinda suspected something from Darren's reaction and she bagan to think. Between seasons 3 and 4, of course Nidge was over kind to her and Tommy and she began to smell a rat. Detective Mick Moynihan of course also put 2 and 2 together and told a little white confirmatory lie. The truth really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Darren was fumingly furious when he was in the hospital with Siobhan. A few days later, he ends up dead.

I think anyone would start to assume some f*cked up stuff was going on if Nidge seemed to be the only character staying out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

i think I need to watch from the beginning again!

Darren was fumingly furious when he was in the hospital with Siobhan. A few days later, he ends up dead.

I think anyone would start to assume some f*cked up stuff was going on if Nidge seemed to be the only character staying out of trouble.

Though Nidge felt guilty about having to kill Darren, he totally accepted it had to be done because it suited both Tony (to appease Dano) and Nidge (Darren knew too much: about Linda, about Tommy. And could cause Nidge serious harm).

Was Janet tortured/killed in Aido's flat? is that the real reason he was cleaning it in the last episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Was Janet tortured/killed in Aido's flat? is that the real reason he was cleaning it in the last episode?

No Janet was killed by big balls gang somewhere else.
    It really was a methadone buzz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Id say all that was going on there was Aido being sick of living in a rubbish dump.

Patrick the most peaceful pipebomb maker we know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Patrick the most peaceful pipebomb maker we know :)

That has to be the worst fight I have ever seen. 35 minutes, don't think I saw a single punch and then they just shake hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

That has to be the worst fight I have ever seen. 35 minutes, don't think I saw a single punch and then they just shake hands.

The "fight" looks fake to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He'll be on TG4 tonight at 8. And then RTE at 9.30.

Jumboman wrote: »
    The "fight" looks fake to me.

Believer you me Jumboman all traveller fights are pretty much like that. Absolutely terrible. Two children playing conkers would be even more exciting. Alot of money and hype generated with them and thats what it boils down to so id say they could be fixed to the extent that damage is kept to the bare minimum with the two 'fair play' men in the middle.

So much for steeping the hands in petrol so they will be hard as rocks eh :p

Although that said i believe the Joyces were in a spot of bother recently and there was someone out to finish Davy off too.

Believer you me Jumboman all traveller fights are pretty much like that. Absolutely terrible. Two children playing conkers would be even more exciting. Alot of money and hype generated with them and thats what it boils down to so id say they could be fixed to the extent that damage is kept to the bare minimum with the two 'fair play' men in the middle.

So much for steeping the hands in petrol so they will be hard as rocks eh :p

Although that said i believe the Joyces were in a spot of bother recently and there was someone out to finish Davy off too.

If it was a real fight it would look a lot more like this one.

If it was a real fight it would look a lot more like this one.

The other 'fair play' man didnt fancy any of that i see :D

Why do they even need "fair play" men ?

Why do they even need "fair play" men ?

The idiosyncrancies of travellers remain one of the great mysteries of the world

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

First fair play guy was worse than the ref in Hatton/Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

So now that the dust has settled and the hype has worn down.... Is there a chance that Love/Hate may actually return this year? Yes, seniors in RTE confirmed it won't be returning in 2015, but Carolan's messages regarding a 6th season have been a bit ambiguous.

RTE may be scrutinised for ambiguity and ambivalence if they are to announce a 6th season for this autumn, but I doubt many would care - most would just be delighted to see it return! I'm sure it's been done before, but leaving 2 years until another season just doesn't seem proper or right. It makes me think that a 6th season will happen this year; and that Carolan and RTE might just be playing things down after all the hype and pressure with Nidge being killed off.

So, do you reckon there is any possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

So now that the dust has settled and the hype has worn down.... Is there a chance that Love/Hate may actually return this year? Yes, seniors in RTE confirmed it won't be returning in 2015, but Carolan's messages regarding a 6th season have been a bit ambiguous.

RTE may be scrutinised for ambiguity and ambivalence if they are to announce a 6th season for this autumn, but I doubt many would care - most would just be delighted to see it return! I'm sure it's been done before, but leaving 2 years until another season just doesn't seem proper or right. It makes me think that a 6th season will happen this year; and that Carolan and RTE might just be playing things down after all the hype and pressure with Nidge being killed off.

So, do you reckon there is any possibility?

I really want a sixth season.. But I'm not sure how it could work. It would probably be like trying to do a sixth season of breaking bad. All of the iconic characters - Darren, John Boy and Nidge are gone and they were essentially the essence of the series. I just don't see a sixth series being that powerful with Tommy, Fran and Patrick and a few others.
    If they were to do a prequel before the events of season 1 with John Boy's gang and his connections in Spain, possibly featuring Big Balls, they might be on to something there but overall I'm not sure. Doubt Sheehan would bother his arse, Gillen would likely be up for it but I think Lawlor definitely wants to move on from Love/Hate.

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    I really want a sixth season.. But I'm not sure how it could work. It would probably be like trying to do a sixth season of breaking bad. All of the iconic characters - Darren, John Boy and Nidge are gone and they were essentially the essence of the series. I just don't see a sixth series being that powerful with Tommy, Fran and Patrick and a few others.
    If they were to do a prequel before the events of season 1 with John Boy's gang and his connections in Spain, possibly featuring Big Balls, they might be on to something there but overall I'm not sure. Doubt Sheehan would bother his arse, Gillen would likely be up for it but I think Lawlor definitely wants to move on from Love/Hate.

I want to see a sixth season and I'd say there will be at some stage. Now, another issue came into my mind the last few months: what station will it be on? RTE seemed lukewarm about it last year and seemed more to push The Fall and other series. Since it is a sort of coproduction with ITV, I wonder if season 6 will be on UTV Ireland?? Or if that was/is the plan??

That aside though: What form will it take? First of all, is Nidge really dead? Or does he survive a la Darren season 1?? 4 options seem to come to mind:

1. Nidge lives and the wars with Fran, Patrick and Siobhan continue. Nidge may use powerful allies Terence and Tony to sort out a few of these in revenge. It will be set 2 years after season 5 which is set in 2013 just after season 4.
    2. Nidge dies. The focus here will be again 2 years later. Fran gets off on some technicality and he finds himself in Nidge's position. His main ally will be Patrick and his main rival Terence. Tony and the IRA could feature too. Perhaps another main story would be a traveller feud where Patrick uses Fran.

Tommy obviously would have to be a central character in these 2 options finding out what Nidge did to him and Patrick to Siobhan??

3. The Prequel. John Boy as deputy to Terence and then Terence giving him control of Irish operations. Nidge, Tommy and Darren would need to be there too but it depends on the interest of the actors. You could have another side story involving Fran and you could have another with Patrick and the travellers?

4. A completely different (or mostly different) story with a new set of characters (perhaps with just one or two from the old series). Perhaps it may be Fran and Patrick moving somewhere else or it may be an all new Dublin gang with perhaps an odd reference to characters in the old series?

Whatever way, I would like to see Love/Hate in some format come back as soon as possible on any channel. If they go for new characters, Nidge, Fran, John Boy, Darren, Tommy, Darren, Patrick, Dano, Terence, Tony, Siobhan, Trish, etc. will all be hard acts to follow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I want to see a sixth season and I'd say there will be at some stage. Now, another issue came into my mind the last few months: what station will it be on? RTE seemed lukewarm about it last year and seemed more to push The Fall and other series. Since it is a sort of coproduction with ITV, I wonder if season 6 will be on UTV Ireland?? Or if that was/is the plan??

That aside though: What form will it take? First of all, is Nidge really dead? Or does he survive a la Darren season 1?? 4 options seem to come to mind:

1. Nidge lives and the wars with Fran, Patrick and Siobhan continue. Nidge may use powerful allies Terence and Tony to sort out a few of these in revenge. It will be set 2 years after season 5 which is set in 2013 just after season 4.
    2. Nidge dies. The focus here will be again 2 years later. Fran gets off on some technicality and he finds himself in Nidge's position. His main ally will be Patrick and his main rival Terence. Tony and the IRA could feature too. Perhaps another main story would be a traveller feud where Patrick uses Fran.

Tommy obviously would have to be a central character in these 2 options finding out what Nidge did to him and Patrick to Siobhan??

3. The Prequel. John Boy as deputy to Terence and then Terence giving him control of Irish operations. Nidge, Tommy and Darren would need to be there too but it depends on the interest of the actors. You could have another side story involving Fran and you could have another with Patrick and the travellers?

4. A completely different (or mostly different) story with a new set of characters (perhaps with just one or two from the old series). Perhaps it may be Fran and Patrick moving somewhere else or it may be an all new Dublin gang with perhaps an odd reference to characters in the old series?

Whatever way, I would like to see Love/Hate in some format come back as soon as possible on any channel. If they go for new characters, Nidge, Fran, John Boy, Darren, Tommy, Darren, Patrick, Dano, Terence, Tony, Siobhan, Trish, etc. will all be hard acts to follow.

If its to work at all, then it has to be this. New location, new stories and that will keep things fresh. I really hope thats their plan, and if not I hope they leave it be.

• Advertisement

If they are going to try something totally different in season 6, then there will still need to be a sense of continuity from the last 5 seasons. I just don't think it makes sense at all to create a new storyline, a new setting, and new characters. There will still need to be a couple of the old characters, and there will need to be constant references to the old characters/story-lines in the first few episodes.

True detective are doing a completely different storyline with brand new characters for the second season, but there has only been one season and supposedly that's how the show is going to be - new season, new story-line. But Love/Hate has been on for 5 seasons with most of the same characters in the same setting. I just don't think it's the done thing at all, and if they are going to change things around completely then it's not really Love/Hate, is it? Supposedly underbelly developed in a similar way, but I don't know.... I just think it only makes sense for there to be some level of continuity.

Even the idea of ''taking a year out then coming back in 2 years'' just seems a bit unorthodox. Of course there's no written rule which states that one must adhere to certain schedules when producing a TV show. But it just seems like bad planning.

If they are going to try something totally different in season 6, then there will still need to be a sense of continuity from the last 5 seasons. I just don't think it makes sense at all to create a new storyline, a new setting, and new characters. There will still need to be a couple of the old characters, and there will need to be constant references to the old characters/story-lines in the first few episodes.

True detective are doing a completely different storyline with brand new characters for the second season, but there has only been one season and supposedly that's how the show is going to be - new season, new story-line. But Love/Hate has been on for 5 seasons with most of the same characters in the same setting. I just don't think it's the done thing at all, and if they are going to change things around completely then it's not really Love/Hate, is it? Supposedly underbelly developed in a similar way, but I don't know.... I just think it only makes sense for there to be some level of continuity.

Even the idea of ''taking a year out then coming back in 2 years'' just seems a bit unorthodox. Of course there's no written rule which states that one must adhere to certain schedules when producing a TV show. But it just seems like bad planning.

I think the series 5 ended to enable all possibilities. Nidge's shooting was very like that of a certain real life gangster who survived last year. So, Nidge could survive and return. Fran certainly survived his ordeal and his revenge on Noelie would be very interesting. Siobhan? Possibly survives too. So, storylines are plentiful for the series 6 with the existing characters for certain. We will have to wait and see.

Series 6 could introduce a lot of new characters and imo would need to. Fran and/or Nidge (if alive) could have to go down for the murder of Git unless in the unlikely event Tommy saves them by saying it was actually Darren who killed him (he won't be interesting in saving Nidge if he finds out how Nidge ruined his life and already poor relations with Fran will only worsen if he realises Fran's links to Patrick). So, we could see a new gang set up by Terence taking over with perhaps Nidge and Fran arranging things from inside prison? RTE or UTV could be jostling for this.

If Nidge ended up surviving the show would have lost all credibility for me.

I really enjoyed Love Hate but I think it should be left now and no Series 6. It's over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tom Vaughan Lawlor said Nidge is dead and sounded like he didn't want him to come back to life.

Another possibility is that the new series could move to be focused on the cops' perspective. Assume Nidge is dead, Fran is in prison and starts off with Moynihan arriving on the scene to see Nidge and Siobhan dead. Then, perhaps he goes after remaining remnants of Nidge's gang and a can of worms is opened revealing Terence's huge international crime network and links with all types.

Another possibility is that the new series could move to be focused on the cops' perspective. Assume Nidge is dead, Fran is in prison and starts off with Moynihan arriving on the scene to see Nidge and Siobhan dead. Then, perhaps he goes after remaining remnants of Nidge's gang and a can of worms is opened revealing Terence's huge international crime network and links with all types.

That would definitely be the most logic progression, and I think most people would find that to be a very satisfying continuation of the story.

Kudos to you, you should e-mail Carolan with your thoughts :D

P.S. Only fault in this is that it could start to look a bit too much like the Wire. But I'm sure the writers and producers would be clever enough to make it in a way that would prevent any copy-cat accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ah i think the cops investigating siobhan and nidge....and a new gang with paddy the traveller would bore me to tears.....best get a new gang and have only minor refrences to the old gang...

by the way i heard dir jim sheridan comparing paddy the traveller to the irish de niro.....now i'm no international director....but he's wrong...

ah i think the cops investigating siobhan and nidge....and a new gang with paddy the traveller would bore me to tears.....best get a new gang and have only minor refrences to the old gang...

by the way i heard dir jim sheridan comparing paddy the traveller to the irish de niro.....now i'm no international director....but he's wrong...

Assuming Nidge and Siobhan are dead: I think the fallout from this should be wrapped up in the first 5 minutes of episode 1 akin to Darren in season 4 episode 1. Then, the story moves on.

Paddy would be a major character but not a gangleader. He would be either an enemy or ally of gang factions. Clearly, a new gang built around Terence is what is needed perhaps bringing in the international elements of the drugs trade. The theme could be the cops tracking down Terence and other big fish and it would need to be a coproduction. If there is a US version, this should be it: a coproduction where it continues the story rather than a remake.

Everyone's forgetting about Aido and Tommy.
    Personally I think if Tommy wakes up, he's going to go after whoever killed Siobhan.

A spinoff with all the gangsters' kids wouldn't be bad either.

Everyone's forgetting about Aido and Tommy.
    Personally I think if Tommy wakes up, he's going to go after whoever killed Siobhan.

A spinoff with all the gangsters' kids wouldn't be bad either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement