Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It is on the player

Strange it didn’t arrive in my player until yesterday afternoon and it’s only episode 1.

Strange it didn’t arrive in my player until yesterday afternoon and it’s only episode 1.

.... They've only aired episode 1 I think.
    They won't facilitate a binge watch at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Augeo wrote: »
    .... They've only aired episode 1 I think.
    They won't facilitate a binge watch at this stage.

Its all on the player anyway if anyone does want to binge watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

OK everyone, just watched episode 1 again.
    Who is the girl in the shop (minutes 11 to 12) that Robbie mentions on the phone to Darren?
    I'm sure she is a somebody now, but not back in 2010.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

jacool wrote: »
    OK everyone, just watched episode 1 again.
    Who is the girl in the shop (minutes 11 to 12) that Robbie mentions on the phone to Darren?
    I'm sure she is a somebody now, but not back in 2010.
    Thanks.

She's not listed on imdb but might be in the actual credits?

Watching that 1st episode again it's noticeable how many of them ended up in Peaky Blinders, Johnboy, Hughie and Siobhan as central characters and Nidge, Tommy and Stumpy appeared once or twice.

I can't take Stumpy seriously anymore after Derry girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

julyjane wrote: »
    She's not listed on imdb but might be in the actual credits?

Watching that 1st episode again it's noticeable how many of them ended up in Peaky Blinders, Johnboy, Hughie and Siobhan as central characters and Nidge, Tommy and Stumpy appeared once or twice.

David Caffrey, who was director on every series of Love/Hate went on to direct S4 of Peaky Blinders. Anthony Byrne also directed a few episodes of Love/Hate and went on to direct S6 of Peaky Blinders. They would have been responsible for bringing many of the Love/Hate actors with them across the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

julyjane wrote: »

:pac: I had not made the connection! He's so ugly in Love/Hate. But now I can't unsee it. I think it will ruin him in Derry Girls for me, rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This not on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I know, I'm devastated! No reason they couldn't leave it on after the charity thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Shower of bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This not on tonight?

When does the wedding air now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I decided to watch on the player..

Really enjoying this show. Thought was ok first time around. Even better now. It’s very interesting.

Annoying part is Fran: at the start his character was great. Dark, rash, impulsive and fearless...

Within an episode or two it’s the cringe coola boola sh1te and his tongue up Nidge’s ass. Came out of nowhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

This is my favourite TV series of all time. It's an absolutely stunning production and has everything in it, gritty realism, great dialogue, superb acting, humour, fab soundtrack and very true to the sad stories of people who get involved in the game. There aren't any winners in the trade, only broken lives and heartache for those left behind.

I've watched it twice now and I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first. It's a cautionary tale to would be gangsters that there ain't no future in the game, only a cold slab or a life behind bars.

Thanks to everyone involved in this timeless drama.

walshb wrote: »

Annoying part is Fran: at the start his character was great. Dark, rash, impulsive and fearless...

Within an episode or two it’s the cringe coola boola sh1te and his tongue up Nidge’s ass. Came out of nowhere..

Moving from importing cigarettes to dealing with importing class A drugs..... Different pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

This is my favourite TV series of all time. It's an absolutely stunning production and has everything in it, gritty realism, great dialogue, superb acting, humour, fab soundtrack and very true to the sad stories of people who get involved in the game. There aren't any winners in the trade, only broken lives and heartache for those left behind.

I've watched it twice now and I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first. It's a cautionary tale to would be gangsters that there ain't no future in the game, only a cold slab or a life behind bars.

Thanks to everyone involved in this timeless drama.

If you'd said Irish series I'd have been with you all the way, but best ever ? Watch the Wire. I mean it's head and shoulders above anything else produced in this country, but it did I take time to find its feet. The characters of Darren and John Boy never convinced me either. It really came into its own when Nidge took centre stage.

Just watched the scene tonight where Hughie shoots himself in the head. An iconic moment. But I feel that Brian Gleesons performance was so good that perhaps it was a waste of his character. He played the unhinged gurrier to perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I always thought Rob Sheehan was miscast in the role of Darren, he was too much of a pretty boy to be credible as a gangster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I always thought Rob Sheehan was miscast in the role of Darren, he was too much of a pretty boy to be credible as a gangster.

I never understood this criticism.
    Nobody uses it against Idris Elba in the Wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Because Idris Elba wasn't miscast.

I agree that Sheehan didn't really fit the role, but he did what he could with it. I think he got better the further the show went along.

6 foot 3 & 16 stone....... If you saw idris on any door he'd look credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Because Idris Elba wasn't miscast.

I agree that Sheehan didn't really fit the role, but he did what he could with it. I think he got better the further the show went along.

There’s lads over in the Gangland thread would disagree as they would hold Mago Gately in the same way as Robert Sheehan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Augeo wrote: »
    6 foot 3 & 16 stone....... If you saw idris on any door he'd look credible.

The point was about looks, not size.
    And gang membership, not bouncing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My Virgin Horizon box didn't pick up the episode broadcast on Friday night. And when I check the schedule for next Friday, there's no sign of Love Hate at all.

Any ideas what's going on there?

The point was about looks, not size.
    And gang membership, not bouncing.

What do gang members / hardened criminals look like?

Monday the 6th of July at around 11pm has series 2 starting

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

trashcan wrote: »
    If you'd said Irish series I'd have been with you all the way, but best ever ? Watch the Wire. I mean it's head and shoulders above anything else produced in this country, but it did I take time to find its feet. The characters of Darren and John Boy never convinced me either. It really came into its own when Nidge took centre stage.

Just watched the scene tonight where Hughie shoots himself in the head. An iconic moment. But I feel that Brian Gleesons performance was so good that perhaps it was a waste of his character. He played the unhinged gurrier to perfection.

I've seen The Wire and no doubt it's a great series, compulsive viewing. I couldn't get enough of the episodes when I first started watching and it was a fresh way of showing the game, from the different stratums of society involved. I felt it dipped a little in quality by the time the series got to the Polish dockers, but it's right up there for sure.

I'd personally have The Sopranos ahead of it, which is unsurpassed by anything IMO. This is the benchmark for any drama, almost Everest like in the standard it consistently achieved. I always felt that even though it was a series focussing on the Mafia, the actual storylines could be parables for any large organisation. Of course it had everything and then some, musical score, dialogue etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

+ 100

trashcan wrote: »

i had never seen that bit where he offs himself by mistake , i burst out laughing at the absurdity of it , i know he was off this head on coke all of the time but it was still redicolous , i didnt like the hughie character and it was redicolous that him and aiden gillen were brothers , he was annoying , brainless and such a loose cannon , you could do nothing for fear he would freak out , kind of guy who had to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i had never seen that bit where he offs himself by mistake , i burst out laughing at the absurdity of it , i know he was off this head on coke all of the time but it was still redicolous

That very thing happened to one of the Collopys in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i didnt like the hughie character and it was redicolous that him and aiden gillen were brothers

Half brothers iirc, and it was presented as a bit mad at least from John Boys POV on many occassions

The wedding aisle dance up was cringey but funny

• Advertisement

Most of them are all weak skinny pretty boys, who are hardy when drugged up with guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

That's Limerick though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

True, but its a TV show, you need characters to root for. If they were all Fran's and Nidges, the show wouldn't have been as good. More realistic sure, but it needed to appeal to an audience and Darren was a character you could root for.

Pity it was only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His pretty boy looks weren't really the issue....

His acting/portrayal was pretty poor....he did not come across at all consistent...and not at all gangsterish!

Similar to Gillen, who for some fooked up reason seems to think he's Al Pacino or something; dreadful actor....

I'm really enjoying it this time round. Series 1 and 2 were fairly low profile at the time, and didn't get mass attention until later. I'm getting so much humour this time, reminiscent of the Sopranos in ways. It was very well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

John boy completely lost it
    How could he trust tommy of all people to tackle fran

Best line this week, from Nidge to Linda, as they're getting ready to bounce around:

Linda: Do you want to have a shower together?
    Nidge: I've already had a shower today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi am just watching this for the first time on the RTE player, so am not going to read this thread for the answer due to spoilers.

So watched last show is the second serious (John Boy's funeral etc).

I got a bit distracted by a text so may have missed it, but how did Rosie know Darren 'clipped' Stumpy, and/or John Boy?

Oh another question from the same episode. Why did Nidge warn off John Boy's finincial advisor guy from helping the daughter? Because he (Nidge) stole the money, worried about CAB, or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hi am just watching this for the first time on the RTE player, so am not going to read this thread for the answer due to spoilers.

So watched last show is the second serious (John Boy's funeral etc).

I got a bit distracted by a text so may have missed it, but how did Rosie know Darren 'clipped' Stumpy, and/or John Boy?

Oh another question from the same episode. Why did Nidge warn off John Boy's finincial advisor guy from helping the daughter? Because he (Nidge) stole the money, worried about CAB, or something else?

I think Rosie knew because she's not stupid. She knew all along just couldn't admit it to herself. Also, people talk.

In answer to the second question, Nidge answered it himself. The gang made that money so a far as he was concerned it belonged to them -him, as John Boy's right hand man. And obviously he wouldn't want CAB snooping into it. They were already all over John Boy before he was killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks!

I guess Rossie did have her suspicions in the previous episode and as you say people talk (off script) , but she seems not to be close to the guys, like John Boy didn’t seem to know her name, just called her 'your moth' to Darren once.

Ah, Nidge gave the answer, I must have missed that. Makes sense.

RIP Luke, poor lonely guy!

On re watching season 2 I think I might have judged it a bit harshly previously. My recollection was that the big improvement began with season 3, but 2 is better than I remembered.

Remind me again did Fran ever discover that Nidge was riding his missus and also did the bombing?

Best line this week, from Nidge to Linda, as they're getting ready to bounce around:

Linda: Do you want to have a shower together?
    Nidge: I've already had a shower today.

What about the bit where he asked her "these sheets are clean, yeah ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Remind me again did Fran ever discover that Nidge was riding his missus and also did the bombing?

Yeah Patrick told Fran the craic when Fran went to visit him to see if he could sort out the rift between Patrick and Nidge. Fran then got a gun from Patrick when he was being watched by Garda Ciaran who then followed him and arrested him at the Port Tunnel toll bridge.

Nidge (who didnt know that Fran knew) then visited Fran in prison and Fran flew into a rage and leapt over the divide in the visitation room and gave Nidge a good few slaps before getting pulled off him by the prison gards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mutley18 wrote: »
    Yeah Patrick told Fran the craic when Fran went to visit him to see if he could sort out the rift between Patrick and Nidge. Fran then got a gun from Patrick when he was being watched by Garda Ciaran who then followed him and arrested him at the Port Tunnel toll bridge.

Nidge (who didnt know that Fran knew) then visited Fran in prison and Fran flew into a rage and leapt over the divide in the visitation room and gave Nidge a good few slaps before getting pulled off him by the prison gards.

Ended bad for Fran though after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hey folks how is the series holding up in 2020? I’m just finished line of duty now and have the same withdrawals I had from love hate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Definitely worth a second watch Ash. Maybe the acting isnt quite as good as I thought on first viewing but it is still a very watchable show. Its just towards the end of season 2 on Monday nights on RTE at the moment. As another poster said season 2 really upped the game from S1 and things are starting to get interesting. Nidges character is now fully developed out and you can see the psychopath in him, all the time juxtaposed with him playing the family man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Series 4 was crap when the godfather and his relative came into it. The dentist part was average and Tommy was annoying. Definetly the worst series of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think it's incredible that the actor who plays Tommy, is brothers with Eoghan Murphy. You would never put them together as brothers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement