Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

trashcan wrote: »
    What about the bit where he asked her "these sheets are clean, yeah ?"

"I'll be grand once your tits are back to normal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Watched it for the first time during lockdown. Thought it was brilliant and glad I didn't watch it at the time when RTE was lickin' it's ars*. (Been talked about 24/7).
    Apart from them using old Nokia phones it's dated well.

rtron wrote: »
    Watched it for the first time during lockdown. Thought it was brilliant and glad I didn't watch it at the time when RTE was lickin' it's ars*. (Been talked about 24/7).

It didn't get a huge amount of coverage for Series 1 and 2 - it was just another drama on RTE at that stage. It was only when the Nidge and Fran show took off from Series 3 onwards that it really 'went viral' as the young people might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"I'll be grand once your tits are back to normal"

I burst myself laughing at that line, Nidge has some great comedy moments in the series especially with Trish.

Went to watch this weeks episode last night and in typical RTE style only 30 minutes of the episode had recorded because they delayed it over a program on John Hume. Then had to go to the Player to watch the second half and what a disaster that was between the ads and buffering. Got there in the end with a strong reminder of why I never use their Player and hadnt touched for for over a year till last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I burst myself laughing at that line, Nidge has some great comedy moments in the series especially with Trish.

Went to watch this weeks episode last night and in typical RTE style only 30 minutes of the episode had recorded because they delayed it over a program on John Hume. Then had to go to the Player to watch the second half and what a disaster that was between the ads and buffering. Got there in the end with a strong reminder of why I never use their Player and hadnt touched for for over a year till last night.

Same, but I was able to watch it on Sky's on-demand service. RTE's Player is a joke, no existent. Funny thing is, I have the box set...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have to say I've never had a problem with the RTE Player. The ads are a pain but never any technical issues. So many people report problems, I'm always expecting an issue but it never happens.

I only watched this for the first time over Christmas and really enjoying it on this second go already now. I think it really picked up from series 2 on. Excited to see series 3 again. I refused to watch it first time round as I was sick of hearing all the young lads idolising Nidge, and thought I'd hate it. But it's definitely one of my favourite series. I was shocked I liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Does anyone know if rte have stopped showing love hate again. I thought they were to show the complete lot of series but they seem to have stopped after the last episode of season 2. I didn’t watch it first time around and was hoping to see all the series this time. I know some of it’s on YouTube but the quality isn’t great.

Does anyone know if rte have stopped showing love hate again. I thought they were to show the complete lot of series but they seem to have stopped after the last episode of season 2. I didn’t watch it first time around and was hoping to see all the series this time. I know some of it’s on YouTube but the quality isn’t great.

I watched the last episode of season 2 last night, and yes, when I checked the listings for next week there's no sign of it. They changed from Friday to Monday after season 1 so maybe it's changing days and I missed it? Very disappointing if they don't continue on with it. All seasons are on the RTE Player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I watched the last episode of season 2 last night, and yes, when I checked the listings for next week there's no sign of it. They changed from Friday to Monday after season 1 so maybe it's changing days and I missed it? Very disappointing if they don't continue on with it. All seasons are on the RTE Player though.

Just started watching season 3 on the rte player. Much better quality than YouTube. It’s odd they stopped showing it on tv but it’s good we can still see it on the player. Brilliant first episode of season 3 I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

rtron wrote: »

It was set between 2010 and 2014.

The most popular phones of 2010 were the iphones, HTC and Samsung Galaxies.

They used Nokia's on purpose, they're drug dealers.

• Advertisement

The final episode of S2 shown last night is great in that it shows Nidges transition to gang boss and him tying up the loose end of Luke.

Annoyed to hear S3 in not in next weeks listings, if anyone spots it in a new slot please post it up here. I know its on the Player but will only use that as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Radio Times publish broadcast dates for any program in next 10 days...nothing showing for series 3 ep 1 yet...

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/dx4s/lovehate-episode-guide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Stupid RTÉ. They only decent thing they show and they stop after two seasons.

I’m going to pay 2/5 of the licence fee and tell them why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bazermc wrote: »
    Stupid RTÉ. They only decent thing they show and they stop after two seasons.

I’m going to pay 2/5 of the licence fee and tell them why.

Did the same with bachelor's walk... Showed season 1 and nothing else. Not like they are overflowing with decent content this year.

They're ridiculous how they make decisions like this. Surely this was an easy win for them, seeing a bit of buzz about a show from their existing catalogue that they can stick on without any extra costs. And it's something they hadn't put on in years. Same with Bachelor's Walk.

But they're already repeating Dublin Murders that was on only 10 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Boy's daughter is a Derry Girl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yeah, the dopey one, Orla. The mother was a loon in Fair City some years ago I think.

She's very good in Derry Girls, but awful in Love/Hate.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did the same with bachelor's walk... Showed season 1 and nothing else. Not like they are overflowing with decent content this year.

yeah its a joke and even moreso as RTE were moaning only the other day about struggling to fill their autumn and winter schedules because of the cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

yeah its a joke and even moreso as RTE were moaning only the other day about struggling to fill their autumn and winter schedules because of the cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

They might save showing it until January when most people will have forgotten how Series 2 ended and they will try to lure people in to watching it on that stream of piss RTE Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They might save showing it until January when most people will have forgotten how Series 2 ended and they will try to lure people in to watching it on that stream of piss RTE Player.

Part of me wonders if this is a plot to get people on to the player... and its ad revenue.

Show series 1 on TV and get em hooked... you can watch the rest online

yeah that would a typical RTE move :rolleyes:

iirc seasons 3-5 were 6 episodes each so they could show one episode a week from now until Christmas. That would be too sensible for RTE though.

A mate of mine was recording My Kitchen Rules on RTE1 and there a couple of weeks ago with the whole place on holidays some intern put the wrong tape in the VHS and it skipped from episode 35 one day to episode 45 the following day. 10 episodes just vanished because of their incompetence. She was fuming about it, it ruined the whole series for her.

She's very good in Derry Girls, but awful in Love/Hate.

Mad that she's a 17/18 year old in Love/Hate, and a 16/17 year old in Derry Girls, filmed eight years later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

So the Covid hasn't been entirely in vain then ;)

Mad that she's a 17/18 year old in Love/Hate, and a 16/17 year old in Derry Girls, filmed eight years later!

What age is she, mid 20s?

• Advertisement

What age is she, mid 20s?

About 28 now I think.

yeah that would a typical RTE move :rolleyes:

iirc seasons 3-5 were 6 episodes each so they could show one episode a week from now until Christmas. That would be too sensible for RTE though.
    Part of me wonders if this is a plot to get people on to the player... and its ad revenue.

Show series 1 on TV and get em hooked... you can watch the rest online
    Stranger still that all series/episodes are available on the RTE Player on the web, but if I try the build-in RTE Player on my Virgin box, I can only get the most recent episode on catch-up.

Without a smart TV, is there any way to broadcast from the RTE Player on the web to a TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Stranger still that all series/episodes are available on the RTE Player on the web, but if I try the build-in RTE Player on my Virgin box, I can only get the most recent episode on catch-up.

Without a smart TV, is there any way to broadcast from the RTE Player on the web to a TV?

Chromecast? Or HD cable from a laptop.

Chromecast is best though because there are no ads, I assume something to do with Google.

Chromecast? Or HD cable from a laptop.

Chromecast is best though because there are no ads, I assume something to do with Google.

Thanks, but I don't have any option to broadcase to Chromecast from within the RTE Player? It works fine from Videostream, but not from the Player.

Some good news here, I had emailed RTE last week asking why they screened series 1 and 2 and then it just stopped. I said it was like going to watch a movie in the cinema but that you're not allowed to watch the second half.

Anyway they got back to me today- they will be screening seasons 3 to 5 "this autumn" and it should be advertised shortly.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I don't have any option to broadcase to Chromecast from within the RTE Player? It works fine from Videostream, but not from the Player.

Just for any other gobsh1tes like me who were missing the obvious;

1) It is possible to broadcast to Chromecast from the RTE Player on the laptop, if you use Chrome as the browser, and not Brave. However, the casting was a bit iffy for me, with poor quality audio and jumpy picture.

2) It is possible to broadcast to Chromecast from the Player app running on an Android phone, with excellent quality.

Some good news here, I had emailed RTE last week asking why they screened series 1 and 2 and then it just stopped. I said it was like going to watch a movie in the cinema but that you're not allowed to watch the second half.

Anyway they got back to me today- they will be screening seasons 3 to 5 "this autumn" and it should be advertised shortly.

Decided to try the Player last night for Season 3, worked perfectly ??? Very strong opening to season 3, but some of the acting from support characters (Donna, Janet..)is shocking. Nidge is class though.

Decided to try the Player last night for Season 3, worked perfectly ??? Very strong opening to season 3, but some of the acting from support characters (Donna, Janet..)is shocking. Nidge is class though.

yeah its on the Player alright but I've long since given up on using it out of frustration. I dont have a chromecast or smart tv with Player app and it always crashes and buffers for me. Netflix works perfect so its not my internet connection (which itself isnt great).

In any case if the Player did work I know Id just end up binging the entire thing over a week. I binged S1-4 of Better Call Saul but when S5 came along I was forced into watching it week by week as it got released. I actually enjoyed it more watching it that way rather than watching 3 or 4 episodes back to back and them all blurring into each other. I just found that its nice to absorb each episode as it comes and then have something to look forward to a week later. Its horses for courses I suppose.

yeah its on the Player alright but I've long since given up on using it out of frustration. I dont have a chromecast or smart tv with Player app and it always crashes and buffers for me. Netflix works perfect so its not my internet connection (which itself isnt great).

In any case if the Player did work I know Id just end up binging the entire thing over a week. I binged S1-4 of Better Call Saul but when S5 came along I was forced into watching it week by week as it got released. I actually enjoyed it more watching it that way rather than watching 3 or 4 episodes back to back and them all blurring into each other. I just found that its nice to absorb each episode as it comes and then have something to look forward to a week later. Its horses for courses I suppose.

Yeah I was quite happy re-watching Love/Hate week by week, but when RTE stopped showing it, and I couldn't find the DVD Boxset, I resorted to the Player. The version pre-installed on the TV must have been an old version, because when I searched and found a different version, it worked no problem.

Was house bound over the weekend so flew through it, last 2 episodes remaining. It's actually better than I remembered, although there is some very ropey acting at times.

Nidge has to be the best ever TV character on Irish TV. Spot on every time.

One thing I hadn't noticed before was the use of music throughout the show. Some excellent choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hard to think of a better one alright. Absolutely outstanding performance from Tom Vaughan Lawlor.

Was house bound over the weekend so flew through it, last 2 episodes remaining. It's actually better than I remembered, although there is some very ropey acting at times.

Yeah I noticed the same from S1 and 2, outside of the main cast there are some ropey acting performances from the peripheral characters. For a lot of them back in 2009 it was their first ever tv production so the directors were taking certain risks in casting them. The likes of Donnas character was never that convincing, even the IRA guy Danno had some ropey acting. But on the other hand you had Barry Keoghan playing psycho kid Wayne and he has now gone on to make waves in Hollywood with Dunkirk and Batman.

One thing I hadn't noticed before was the use of music throughout the show. Some excellent choices.

Theres some good tunes in it alright, I can remember using Shazam for the first time during Love Hate a decade ago to find out what artists they were by when I was watching. I love when a series comes with a cracking soundtrack, Breaking Bad was similar and it opened up a good few new artists to me by rewinding the tune and using Shazam on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nidge is a brilliant character I love how him and the wife bounce off each other it can be hilarious at times.

We're up to the end of S3, and really enjoying it. I dreamt I was sending WhatsApp messages to Nidge last night, so maybe I should back off for a while now.

The acting is generally good to very good, but the writing is still brilliant. Moments that I knew were coming still had me jumping off the couch in shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Series 3 returns to RTE2 on October 14.

There is an article on Love/Hate in the Magazine section of todays Irish Independent to mark its start 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

We finished the full run through last weekend, and it really stands up as excellent quality TV. Still a few shocks and twists that had slipped my mind. Great writing, top performances from Tom Vaughan Lawlor, Charlie Murphy, Peter Cooney, Brian O'Byrne especially - got to be the best thing RTE ever did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gmisk wrote: »
    Nidge is a brilliant character I love how him and the wife bounce off each other it can be hilarious at times.

Vaughan-Lawlor is absolutely fantastic in the role. I love how he can instantly but somehow seamlessly switch Nidge's demeanour when he's trying to persuade someone to do something for him. The change from best pal to coercion happens so quickly and naturally.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    Series 3 returns to RTE2 on October 14.

There is an article on Love/Hate in the Magazine section of todays Irish Independent to mark its start 10 years ago.

Series 3 starts at 9.45pm on the 14th.
    Did the same with Bachelor's Walk... Showed season 1 and nothing else. Not like they are overflowing with decent content this year.

Series 2 starts at 10.45pm on the 14th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Season 3 on RTE2 Wednesday at 9:45 pm I just spotted on the guide.

Season 3 on RTE2 Wednesday at 9:45 pm I just spotted on the guide.

Any repeat?

Any repeat?

Try the RTE Player

Try the RTE Player

Don’t try the RTÉ player.

Watching season 3 again. Did the writers forget that Elmo had a missus and a kid for season 4 onwards?

bazermc wrote: »
    Watching season 3 again. Did the writers forget that Elmo had a missus and a kid for season 4 onwards?

I had forgot :o the actress is in Fair City now looking younger

Who killed Git, I missed episode 1 and can't remember, was it Tommy and Nidge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SweetLeaf

I had forgot :o the actress is in Fair City now looking younger

Who killed Git, I missed episode 1 and can't remember, was it Tommy and Nidge?

Tommy beat him til he was just sort of twitching and Darren dropped a keg on his head to finish him off (as an act of mercy really, but IMO it was still sort od out of character for Darren as he seemed to hardly give it a 2nd thought)

Advertisement