Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zlatan v Ronaldo to play at World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Ronaldo. I want to see the best player in the world at the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I always draw Sweden in one of the work/pub busters. And that is my €10 thrown down the drain immediately.

So Portugal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RVD420 wrote: »
    I want to see the best player in the world at the World Cup.

Luckily for you, he's already qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Luckily for you, he's already qualified.

Nah. Ronaldo > Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For some reason I just really want Zlatan at the WC. It must be the unpredictable nature of him, cos I dont have anything against Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

It's a shame both players can't make the finals. Both class acts.

Can't believe it's already turned into Messi v Ronaldo.

RVD420 wrote: »
    Nah. Ronaldo > Messi

Agree to disagree so, I'd rather not drag this into yet another Messi v Ronaldo thread. Team Zlatan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I could watch Ron all day, he is the football superstar of the world. Sweden are usually dire, out in the 2nd round (bar 1994 before some nerd corrects me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its a shame one wont be the WC, we'll be missing out regardless thats for sure, I do want to see Zlatan go though because of my man love for all things Zlatan.

All hail Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The loser should be leased out to the highest bidder imo :pac:

A World Cup without either one of these players won't feel right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I don't care, they'd both do fuuck all as usual anyways, it being an international tournament and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd pick Zlatan just for the hope of seeing some backheeled goals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Both have undeniable class but I'd look at it more from a team perspective and which would I rather watch? So Portugal.

Seen enough of Sweden from an Irish perspective in the last year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Neither 'should' go, so I'd rather see Ibrahimovic than Pepe at the World Cup and I'd much rather watch Sweden or most other teams than Portugal in most previous tournaments, so Sweden all the way and therefore Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ronaldo and Portugal have the greater potential for success, for me, so would have to go with him.

He's 28 now so it really is his prime time Tournament, so to speak.

Will miss Zlatan all the same, however, but the guy isn't at Ronaldo's level. People seem to almost under appreciate at times just how good Ronaldo and Messi are in comparison to even the best of the rest (Ribery being favourite for Ballon D'or being an example). Would be a big loss not to have them both at the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't care, they'd both do fuuck all as usual anyways, it being an international tournament and all.

Ronaldo was one of the best players of the tournament at the last Euros, he almost dragged Portugal to the final by himself. Your post is just lazy Dunphy style analysis.

Actually it has to be Sweden.

The fans travel very well and are very easy on the eye.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I could watch Ron all day, he is the football superstar of the world. Sweden are usually dire, out in the 2nd round (bar 1994 before some nerd corrects me).

Finished 3rd in 50 and 94 and were runners up to Brazil in 58.

Ronaldo was one of the best players of the tournament at the last Euros, he almost dragged Portugal to the final by himself. Your post is just lazy Dunphy style analysis.

You have some nerve to use the term "dragged", one of the most overused clichés in international football and call my post lazy in the same post.

His performance in that tournament is overrated.

This isn't even a debate for me.

Ibrahimovic is good, but for goods sake Ronaldo has scored something like 149 league goals in just 125 appearances! It isn't even that long ago that a good strike rate for a top player was one goal in two games, Ronaldo is hitting more than a goal a game and he has been doing it for five years now!

Along with Messi he is clearly one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, preferring someone else to go to the World cup over him would be like preferring somebody else over Pele or Maradona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

dfx- wrote: »
    Neither 'should' go, so I'd rather see Ibrahimovic than Pepe at the World Cup and I'd much rather watch Sweden or most other teams than Portugal in most previous tournaments, so Sweden all the way and therefore Ibrahimovic.

Really ? you'd rather see sweden with their brand of football at the world cup than portugal....

okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Zlatan all day - best player on the planet after Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Zlatan all day - best player on the planet after Messi.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I can't deny Ronaldo is a much better player, but I'd rather see Zlatan at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'd go for Ronaldo as i really don't get the "Zlatan" love-in.

Watch Zlatan reguarly then you'll see some of the love people have for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Zlatan purely because i find him much more entertaining to watch than ronaldo and he also nearly always bring it on the international stage something i cant really say about ronaldo completely.

Queue someone showing me stats about hattricks against northern ireland and luxembourg, my point is he was nowhere to be found when portugal really needed him in the shootout v spain

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Actually it has to be Sweden.

The fans travel very well and are very easy on the eye.

:pac:

Hadn't even considered this. Not a hope I want Portugal there now, not when there's Swedish fans at stake!

Hadn't even considered this. Not a hope I want Portugal there now, not when there's Swedish fans at stake!

I'd posts pics but ye can all use Google :pac:

• Advertisement

You have some nerve to use the term "dragged", one of the most overused clichés in international football and call my post lazy in the same post.

You said that Ronaldo had never done feck all at an international tournament. Its a simple fact that in one of the biggest tournaments in the world Ronaldo not only did something but he did more any other player on his team including, but not limited to, scoring the winner in the quarter final.

He finished joint top scorer for the tournament and was named on the team of the tournament.

Ronaldo clearly did more than "**** all", and to say he did is just lazy crap probably spouted because you just don't like the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Possibly stop believing Eamonn Dunphy and Sky who say he doesnt perform in big games.

He has won league titles in 5 countries, has been top scorer very regularly. He is very much one of the top 10 players of the last 20 years.

You said that Ronaldo had never done feck all at an international tournament. Its a simple fact that in one of the biggest tournaments in the world Ronaldo not only did something but he did more any other player on his team including, but not limited to, scoring the winner in the quarter final.

He finished joint top scorer for the tournament and was named on the team of the tournament.

Ronaldo clearly did more than "**** all", and to say he did is just lazy crap probably spouted because you just don't like the guy.

I may be wrong but wasnt Ronaldo fairly poor until the 3rd group game last summer? Or was that the world cup in 2010?

Iang87 wrote: »
    Queue someone showing me stats about hattricks against northern ireland and luxembourg, my point is he was nowhere to be found when portugal really needed him in the shootout v spain

So you ignore his good performances throughout the tournament just because Portugal didn't beat the World and European cup holders Spain? Very logical.

I may be wrong but wasnt Ronaldo fairly poor until the 3rd group game last summer? Or was that the world cup in 2010?

That was last year they won in spite of him then he **** himself in the shootout and didnt bother taking one early like your best should and always do

So you ignore his good performances throughout the tournament just because Portugal didn't beat the World and European cup holders Spain? Very logical.

no cos he only had one in the euros maybe 2 but he was shocking in another 2 but you're ignoring that

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    That was last year they won in spite of him then he **** himself in the shootout and didnt bother taking one early like your best should and always do

Yeah i just checked there.

He didnt perform in the first 2 games, scored 2 goals against Holland and the winner against Denmark in the QF and as you said, shat himself against Spain.

He didnt drag Portugal anywhere.

Jesus i forgot about him wanting to take the last penalty because there would be less pressure and potentially more glory. Okay, i've decided.

Zlatan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

In the last Euros they came closest to putting an end to the Reign in Spain - that was a good game and they really tested the Spaniards. Portugal can be semi finalists I think if Ronaldo shines or even a dark horse to win it. I think he's a joy to watch, and has a decent team around him, Zlatan is surrounded by muppets, he might as well be playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It's all about Nani, come on Portugal! :pac:

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    In the last Euros they came closest to putting an end to the Reign in Spain - that was a good game and they really tested the Spaniards. Portugal can be semi finalists I think if Ronaldo shines or even a dark horse to win it. I think he's a joy to watch, and has a decent team around him, Zlatan is surrounded by muppets, he might as well be playing for Ireland.

Did you see their results in qualifiying? They were far from impressive, topped off with a home draw against Northern Ireland. They scraped through a lot of their matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ronaldo has been an ever more important part of Portugese squads that have made the Final of Euro 2004, the semi final of World Cup 2006 and the semi final of Euro 2012 yet you have posts in here insinuating that he doesn't do it on the world stage?

What has Zlatan done in a major finals?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ronaldo has been an ever more important part of Portugese squads that have made the Final of Euro 2004, the semi final of World Cup 2006 and the semi final of Euro 2012 yet you have posts in here insinuating that he doesn't do it on the world stage?

If you put Zlatan in the Portugal team and Ronaldo in the Swedish team, theoretically would it have made any difference to how each nation finished in those competitions?

I dont think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zlatan, no other player on the planet does what he does, regularly.

Nobody else is capable of regularly producing outrageous pieces of brilliance and scoring goals like these.

1352928097133_0.gif

im1NpZg.gif

tumblr_muxh5jnn9T1ryruxqo1_500.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This match is pretty much just the full scale version of the Nike "Joga Bonito" ad from a few years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Really ? you'd rather see sweden with their brand of football at the world cup than portugal....

okay.

Do you remember Portugal's brand of football at recent tournaments?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

This:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I will be supporting Sweden during the playoffs. The WC finals will be a poorer place without the Swede's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Possibly stop believing Eamonn Dunphy and Sky who say he doesnt perform in big games.

He has won league titles in 5 countries, has been top scorer very regularly. He is very much one of the top 10 players of the last 20 years.

Yeah it's not that, i just don't like the guy.

Yeah it's not that, i just don't like the guy.

He is one of my favourite players in the world, seems like a bloke you could sit and have a few pints and a laugh with. And on top of that he has talent that all of us can only dream about.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Zlatan think's he should go, Period.

"I just need to make sure I do everything over the next two games to make sure that it is him who misses out and not myself," Ibrahimovic told the Metro.
    "I think that the World Cup needs Zlatan more than Ronaldo.
    He continued: "The excitement I can bring to the game and the goals I can score - nobody can rival me for that. I believe the fans would want to see me there above anybody.
    "The World Cup is the greatest sporting competition in the world - it needs to have the best players."

• Advertisement
Advertisement