Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zlatan v Ronaldo to play at World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

imtdub wrote: »
    Zlatan think's he should go, Period.

"I just need to make sure I do everything over the next two games to make sure that it is him who misses out and not myself," Ibrahimovic told the Metro.
    "I think that the World Cup needs Zlatan more than Ronaldo.
    He continued: "The excitement I can bring to the game and the goals I can score - nobody can rival me for that. I believe the fans would want to see me there above anybody.
    "The World Cup is the greatest sporting competition in the world - it needs to have the best players."

Well there you have it, sorry Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Iang87 wrote: »
    Zlatan purely because i find him much more entertaining to watch than ronaldo and he also nearly always bring it on the international stage something i cant really say about ronaldo completely.

Queue someone showing me stats about hattricks against northern ireland and luxembourg, my point is he was nowhere to be found when portugal really needed him in the shootout v spain

He was there, he was down to take the fifth penalty. Just like he was when he stepped up aged 20 to take the winning penalty against England in the world cup, arguably a bigger game. One thing that can never be levelled at Ronaldo is that he hides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

"I just need to make sure I do everything over the next two games to make sure that it is him who misses out and not myself," Ibrahimovic told the Metro.
    He continued: "The excitement I can bring to the game and the goals I can score - nobody can rival me for that. I believe the fans would want to see me there above anybody.
    "The World Cup is the greatest sporting competition in the world - it needs to have the best players."

Modest bloke too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

bohsboy wrote: »
    Modest bloke too. :rolleyes:

Yep,

Can Ronaldo come-up with these...

Zlatan didn't buy any gifts for missus last year because "she has the best thing in the world - Zlatan himself" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yep,

Can Ronaldo come-up with these...

Zlatan didn't buy any gifts for missus last year because "she has the best thing in the world - Zlatan himself" :D

Interview I saw yesterday:

'I don't adapt to my wife, she adapts to me'.

Bloke plays Xbox all the time as well :pac:

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOlDFM8bBM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Pair of twats to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Interview I saw yesterday:

'I don't adapt to my wife, she adapts to me'.

Bloke plays Xbox all the time as well :pac:

There's no way I wanna miss his quotes during the big games in world cup...
    the modest bloke you'll ever see...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't care if he's cocky. He's hilarious :pac:

(and has the talent to back it up)

One of my favourites:

"First I went left, he did too. Then I went right, and he did too. Then I went left again, and he went to buy a hot dog."

This was Zlatan's analysis of a move he put on then-Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Jesus,I hope Portugal will have plenty tissues ready,with all the crying that Ronnie will be doing if they dont make it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

At least he doesnt beat around the bush with generic, PR friendly answers.

That I'll give him credit for.

I may be wrong but wasnt Ronaldo fairly poor until the 3rd group game last summer? Or was that the world cup in 2010?
    Yeah i just checked there.

He didnt perform in the first 2 games,
    scored 2 goals against Holland and the winner against Denmark in the QF and as you said, shat himself against Spain.

He didnt drag Portugal anywhere.

You checked where? In the 3 minutes between your posts you managed to watch the games back? Or did you simply look at the scorers and decide - Ronaldo didnt score = Didn't perform?

He was decent for the first two games, excellent against Holland, phenomenal against the Czech's before having a good game vs Spain. Rightly or wrongly, he and the manager decided he should take the 5th penalty. It had worked before when he struck the winner vs England in WC2006. He had also taken an early penalty aged 18 against England in a shootout in Euro 2004. If he was willing to step up early as a spotty teenager, im fully sure he wasn't afraid to step up at 26 and one of the best players in the world. Makes yours and Iang's arguments that he hid or shat himself completely idiotic. As someone said earlier in the thread, stupid simplistic Dunphy analysis.

It's amazing that people who dislike Ronaldo will continue to find ways to knock him. First it was his diving, until he stamped that out. Then it was his effectiveness, calling him a 'showmonkey', until he became one of the most prolofic goalscorers ever. Then it was that he didn't perform in big games, a theory he's dispelled multiple times in the last 6 years. Now people knock his character? This is a guy who came back to a foreign league aged 20 with everyone baying for his blood, and proceeded to win Player of the Year? Christ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You checked where? In the 3 minutes between your posts you managed to watch the games back? Or did you simply look at the scorers and decide - Ronaldo didnt score = Didn't perform?

He was decent for the first two games, excellent against Holland, phenomenal against the Czech's before having a good game vs Spain. Rightly or wrongly, he and the manager decided he should take the 5th penalty. It had worked before when he struck the winner vs England in WC2006. He had also taken an early penalty aged 18 against England in a shootout in Euro 2004. If he was willing to step up early as a spotty teenager, im fully sure he wasn't afraid to step up at 26 and one of the best players in the world. Makes yours and Iang's arguments that he hid or shat himself completely idiotic. As someone said earlier in the thread, stupid simplistic Dunphy analysis.

It's amazing that people who dislike Ronaldo will continue to find ways to knock him. First it was his diving, until he stamped that out. Then it was his effectiveness, calling him a 'showmonkey', until he became one of the most prolofic goalscorers ever. Then it was that he didn't perform in big games, a theory he's dispelled multiple times in the last 6 years. Now people knock his character? This is a guy who came back to a foreign league aged 20 with everyone baying for his blood, and proceeded to win Player of the Year? Christ

You seem to have misunderstood me. Ronaldo is a freak of nature, if it wasn't for Messi he would be an absolute shoo-in as the best player the world has ever seen. I don't dislike him at all, I just don't believe he dragged poor little Portugal to the semifinals last summer. They had a relatively easy group and only finished 2nd and an easy quarter final game.

They had 2 tests in that tournament and failed both in Russia and Spain.

You seem to have misunderstood me. Ronaldo is a freak of nature, if it wasn't for Messi he would be an absolute shoo-in as the best player the world has ever seen. I don't dislike him at all, I just don't believe he dragged poor little Portugal to the semifinals last summer. They had a relatively easy group and only finished 2nd and an easy quarter final game.

They had 2 tests in that tournament and failed both in Russia and Spain.

Right. Germany, Holland and Denmark is an easy group. They didn't play Russia btw. The lost out narrowly to Germany in a game they played very well in. Beat Holland. As for Spain, I wouldn't see drawing with the greatest international side of all time over 120 minutes and being arguably the better team as failure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Right. Germany, Holland and Denmark is an easy group. They didn't play Russia btw. The lost out narrowly to Germany in a game they played very well in. Beat Holland. As for Spain, I wouldn't see drawing with the greatest international side of all time over 120 minutes and being arguably the better team as failure.

Apologies, I got confused with their qualifying group for next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He is one of my favourite players in the world, seems like a bloke you could sit and have a few pints and a laugh with. And on top of that he has talent that all of us can only dream about.

Are you joking, he seems like the player least likely to sit down and have a few jars and a bit of craic.

Either way he's an excellent player, but i just dont buy into his schtick. As the saying goes "There's a difference between being a character and having character"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

First it was his diving, until he stamped that out.

Er, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its a shame one wont be the WC, we'll be missing out regardless thats for sure, I do want to see Satan go though because of my man love for all things Satan.

All hail Satan.

Quoting this for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

In the last 2 tournaments Portugal have come closest to stopping Spain and were very unlucky last time. Hope they go and get another go at it. Them at their most motivated and fluid are on another level to what Sweden can produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Would be nice to see Ronaldo there. The second best player in the world should be at the world cup.

Portugal have a much more interesting team too in terms of players.

joe123 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Ronaldo there. The second best player in the world should be at the world cup.

Portugal have a much more interesting team too in terms of players.

Portugal were always a decent outfit but were cursed with mediocre strikers. Hopefully, for them, Ronaldo can sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Liam O wrote: »
    In the last 2 tournaments Portugal have come closest to stopping Spain and were very unlucky last time. Hope they go and get another go at it. Them at their most motivated and fluid are on another level to what Sweden can produce.

Paraguay in 2010 perhaps?

Portugal were terrible in 2010...and 2006, but less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

He was there, he was down to take the fifth penalty. Just like he was when he stepped up aged 20 to take the winning penalty against England in the world cup, arguably a bigger game. One thing that can never be levelled at Ronaldo is that he hides.

its handier if we agree to disagree on this from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As sn aside to all this, is the match on tv anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

Think its on Sky Sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ronaldo>Zlatan

Not even close.

Would like to see Sweden be there otherwise.

Great support and players like Zlatan are great to watch, but Ronaldo another step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ronaldo and Portugal every time. Sweden are fairly dull to watch unless Ibra does something ridiculous. Portugal can be entertaining, even if it's for the wrong reasons when they go into meltdown mode. Coentrao and Nani can be entertaining to watch. They must pick on the kids who actually score goals as kids, outside of ronaldo their goals per match record is shocking. Meireles is the highest goal scoring midfielder with 9! Pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Bendtner won't be there - might as well call off WC2014 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I quite like both players, but definitely going for the Swedes on this one - best bunch of fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Heja Sverige!

its handier if we agree to disagree on this from the start

How am I wrong? You said he shiit himself and shouldve have stepped forward to take an early penalty, suggesting he was hiding. So you're saying he hid in 2012 aged 26, but wasn't afraid to step forward early in Euro 2004 aged 18? Ridiculous suggestion. It was a tactical move that backfired. By the same token, Del Piero (Juve's regular penalty taker) was hiding in the CL final of 03 when he was one of the last takers. There are plenty of other examples also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This:

Cool beans. I hope I catch the right Sweden group game next year to see his wonder goal as they exit the tournament before the big dogs get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ronaldo for me, is and will go down as one of the greatest ever to play the game. Think portugal have a better shot then sweden at doing well too which is also good for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Love them both, but the thought of Ibra missing out makes me sad. Capable of the ridiculous, especially in the past 12 months as well. Would be a shame to see him miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cool beans. I hope I catch the right Sweden group game next year to see his wonder goal as they exit the tournament before the big dogs get going.

Funny, I must have been seeing things in the 2006 World Cup. Anyway, I dislike Portugal as a team and thus Zlatan alone supersedes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Id echo the sentiments of the crime that it is that one will miss out. No matter who goes through Im we will have a harang of posters ready to give their insults on 2 of the most exciting players we've ever seen.

Some people just hate seeing people that are different and against the mould. They were bred to hate what they cannot understand. They abuse anybody that looks or acts differently to the norm. And this is why progressive football fans absolutely love them.

PS: In reference to what have they ever done at a major tournament. Both are joint 3rd all time record goalscorers at the Euros and both could surpass the record in Euro 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Zlatan purely because i find him much more entertaining to watch than ronaldo and he also nearly always bring it on the international stage something i cant really say about ronaldo completely.

Queue someone showing me stats about hattricks against northern ireland and luxembourg, my point is he was nowhere to be found when portugal really needed him in the shootout v spain

Miss a penalty and the rest of the natch tournament is meaningless, lazy ignorant pov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

You know what will happen, the guy who qualifies will get injured and miss the gig anyway. :pac:

The less Pepe in the tournament the better, therefore, Sweden > Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The less Pepe in the tournament the better, therefore, Sweden > Portugal.

This is the best point in the entire thread it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am Dutch so it is pretty simple for me.
    I want Sweden in Brazil due to the horrible record Holland has against Portugal.

So please Zlatan, do me a favour and make sure the Portuguese are watching the WC crying in front of their tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Miss a penalty and the rest of the natch tournament is meaningless, lazy ignorant pov.

Or you can not read my other post where I say he had 2 good games and 2 poor ones in the euros but then that wouldn't have fit your point then would it.

Where did I say miss a penalty, i said he didnt step up to take one when it mattered.

I'd like you to explain your lazy ignorant pov comment too

Some people just hate seeing people that are different and against the mould. They were bred to hate what they cannot understand. They abuse anybody that looks or acts differently to the norm. And this is why progressive football fans absolutely love them.

tumblr_mntiolhySW1snpc3lo4_r1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Think Ibrahimovic needs to work on his confidence and come out of his shell a little more.

TV4 reporter—"Who'll win the qualifier?"
    Ibrahimović—"Only God knows"
    Reporter—"It's kinda hard to ask him"
    Ibra—"You're talking to him now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Pighead wrote: »
    Think Ibrahimovic needs to work on his confidence and come out of his shell a little more.

TV4 reporter—"Who'll win the qualifier?"
    Ibrahimović—"Only God knows"
    Reporter—"It's kinda hard to ask him"
    Ibra—"You're talking to him now"

Only after he climbed out of John O'Sheas pocket in Stockholm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

PS: In reference to what have they ever done at a major tournament. Both are joint 3rd all time record goalscorers at the Euros and both could surpass the record in Euro 2016.

That's a fair point but it should be noted that the goalscorers records at the Euros are surprisingly low. If, for instance, Balotelli had one of his occasional matches of brilliance and scored a hattrick against a poorer team in the group stages of Euro '16, he would also be joint third on the all time record.

Regarding Zlatan V Ronaldo, I'd personally like to see Zlatan. This will most likely be his last world cup and while he's obviously an inferior player to Ronaldo, his occasional moments of brilliance are generally more exciting than Ronaldo's, albeit less consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wolf Club wrote: »
    his occasional moments of brilliance are generally more exciting than Ronaldo's, albeit less consistent.

I'd say Zlatan actually has more moments of brilliance, this season at least he's scoring either a flick or a 30 yard net-smasher every week. Ronaldo is just scoring hatfuls of goals, albeit that being brilliant in a way too. Zlatan has the more spectacular goals.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    That's a fair point but it should be noted that the goalscorers records at the Euros are surprisingly low. If, for instance, Balotelli had one of his occasional matches of brilliance and scored a hattrick against a poorer team in the group stages of Euro '16, he would also be joint third on the all time record.

Regarding Zlatan V Ronaldo, I'd personally like to see Zlatan. This will most likely be his last world cup and while he's obviously an inferior player to Ronaldo, his occasional moments of brilliance are generally more exciting than Ronaldo's, albeit less consistent.

While that maybe true calling anyone as talented as Ibrahimovic inferior, is doing him a disservice IMO.

This could easily be Zlatans last chacen at playing in a WC and I reckon it will be Ronaldos last chance at WC in his prime, the Ronaldo we know and love, full of pace and power, could well be a different player in 2016, it remains to be seen I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Zlatan might be exciting to watch and may be rated by most as one of the best players around, but he's no Ronaldo and never will be. So I'd rather see Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'd rather see Paul McShane than either of these two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I like neither of them. But I dislike Ibrahimovich more.......the man has class on the field but zero class off it. His arrogance is unmatched. And he's Swedish. A country with the personality and warmth of a doorknob.

So come on Ronaldo & Portugal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement