Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zlatan v Ronaldo to play at World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

ush wrote: »
    Greatest player (this year). Always the caveat.

Alot of this I'd imagine is due to the Ballon d'Or being a hot topic at the minute, and Ronaldo is acknowledged by most as the best of this year and so the favourite for this award.

I don't know why certain people get annoyed by others calling Ronaldo the best in the world, it's not exactly an outlandish claim with the form he's in. In some cases it seems to stem simply from a petty dislike for the guy, letting that overshadow his talent is absurd, especially when they know nothing about him as a person. We can only judge him on what he does on the field, and he's playing some exceptional stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

shrewdness wrote: »
    Alot of this I'd imagine is due to the Ballon d'Or being a hot topic at the minute, and Ronaldo is acknowledged by most as the best of this year and so the favourite for this award.

I don't know why certain people get annoyed by others calling Ronaldo the best in the world, it's not exactly an outlandish claim with the form he's in. In some cases it seems to stem simply from a petty dislike for the guy, letting that overshadow his talent is absurd, especially when they know nothing about him as a person. We can only judge him on what he does on the field, and he's playing some exceptional stuff.

Some posters in here need to read the underlined bit a few times.

It's really pathetic having such a bias over things like his club history or his supposed arrogance or whatever.

The man is better than Messi right now, as much as it pains them to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I was about to give out that it was a bit of a joke that Ribery is favourite for the Ballon D'or ahead of Ronaldo but Having just checked the odds I see there's been big changes. Ronaldo now 4/9 fav (think he was 4/1 third fav last I checked). Messi out to 8/1 from 6/4 presumably since injury. Does anybody if Ronaldo was favourite before Sweden hatrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Pighead wrote: »
    I was about to give out that it was a bit of a joke that Ribery is favourite for the Ballon D'or ahead of Ronaldo but Having just checked the odds I see there's been big changes. Ronaldo now 4/9 fav (think he was 4/1 third fav last I checked). Messi out to 8/1 from 6/4 presumably since injury. Does anybody if Ronaldo was favourite before Sweden hatrick?

Ribery was favourite before the games earlier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oh now I see, you don't like him because he played for United.

That's not how I read what he was saying at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

dfx- wrote: »
    That's not how I read what he was saying at all.
    Because he's an obnoxious vain idiot?
    Yeah and you're neutral. ;)
    And Madrid plucked him from obscurity.

He's been leading up to it, who I support has nothing to do with the topic we were talking about so why would he bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

After that video of Sepp making fun of Ronaldo, he's rumoured to not even turn up to the awards. If its true than Messi will win the Balon d'Or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I hope he does not turn up to the awards. If he doesnt win, he wont have a camera stuck in his face and internet hounds looking for the slightest facial expression to flog around. If he does win, he snubs FIFA and they don't get their Kodak moment. Plus Florentino Perez will probably get to go and collect the award. It would be golden to see him flaunt it to everyone as if he won it himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Wouldn't it just be childish not to accept the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I hope he does not turn up to the awards. If he doesnt win, he wont have a camera stuck in his face and internet hounds looking for the slightest facial expression to flog around. If he does win, he snubs FIFA and they don't get their Kodak moment. Plus Florentino Perez will probably get to go and collect the award. It would be golden to see him flaunt it to everyone as if he won it himself :D

Ojv4GBp.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

People who think this was purely Zlatan against Ronaldo are idiots, Portugals team is far stronger than Swedens
    And Zlatan kept them in it so he did, right now Id have him 2nd best player in the world after Ronaldo.
    I just really hate feckin idiots who know nothing about soccer throw out nonsense about players.
    Zlatan has succeeded every where hes gone, yes including Barcelona
    and the world cup will greatly miss him
    The fact he has a sense of humour seems to go over so many peoples head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

RoENzII.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

astonaidan wrote: »
    People who think this was purely Zlatan against Ronaldo are idiots, Portugals team is far stronger than Swedens
    And Zlatan kept them in it so he did, right now Id have him 2nd best player in the world after Ronaldo.
    I just really hate feckin idiots who know nothing about soccer throw out nonsense about players.
    Zlatan has succeeded every where hes gone, yes including Barcelona
    and the world cup will greatly miss him
    The fact he has a sense of humour seems to go over so many peoples head

So, so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Some posters in here need to read the underlined bit a few times.

It's really pathetic having such a bias over things like his club history or his supposed arrogance or whatever.

The man is better than Messi right now, as much as it pains them to hear it.

The irony is dripping from this post.

Can't we have one thread about Messi or Ronaldo without having to ****ing discuss which is better? Ronaldo was incredible tonight, the way he took his goals was brilliant, so long to run and think about them, the majority of players would **** their beds, but he just oozes class and is coolness personified. Incredible final 30 mins to the game last night. One of the best games I've seen all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look, I'm as committed a Utd hater as you'll find. My heart oozes thick black goo where they're concerned. And I laughed at young pouty mercurial Ronaldo. But there was nothing to laugh at his last couple of seasons at Utd unfortunately. He rustled my jimmies good, but you had to respect the consistency (yeah we wanted to pretend he was crap at free kicks or didn't do it in big games).

But at Madrid he's got ever better (which shouldn't be possible). His consistency is remarkable. You gotta love him, just like you gotta love Messi (even if you hate Barca). Last night you were watching one of the two greatest football players to ever walk the earth killing it in a massive game. Get on board!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Knex. wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Portugal have the greater potential for success, for me, so would have to go with him.

He's 28 now so it really is his prime time Tournament, so to speak.

You would wonder, so, how long he will go on for. Most players of anywhere near his standard would retire from internationals by 32 or thereabouts, primarily because they are usually from a country which has a few younger high class players ready to take the mantle and relatively equal or outperform an ageing but slowly declining legend. But Portugal has not produced truly world class players bar Ronaldo in that position in quite some time. If it continues like that would he be pulling a Robbie? 39 at Euro 2024? The lack of competition for his position currently would suggest so, but has he really the national team commitment to try and juggle a twilight MLS career with flying to Azerbaijan for a November qualifier at that age?

Zlatan is a temperamental sod, wouldn't be surprised if he is retiring as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Not going to debate the merits of R v Z, but only checking out the goals now and they are some of the greatest passes and clinical finishes I have ever seen. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Missed the game, seen the highlights.

The 5 goals between the 2 last night were befitting of their talents.

I was hoping to see Ibra at the WC, if nothing more then my loev for the big Swede.

Ronaldo, judging from the goals was just on it last night, excellent finishes all round.

Do I think Portugal or Argentina will win the WC, nope, but it will be a joy to watch the 2 greatest players on the planet giving it a shot.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Look, I'm as committed a Utd hater as you'll find. My heart oozes thick black goo where they're concerned. And I laughed at young pouty mercurial Ronaldo. But there was nothing to laugh at his last couple of seasons at Utd unfortunately. He rustled my jimmies good, but you had to respect the consistency (yeah we wanted to pretend he was crap at free kicks or didn't do it in big games).

But at Madrid he's got ever better (which shouldn't be possible). His consistency is remarkable. You gotta love him, just like you gotta love Messi (even if you hate Barca). Last night you were watching one of the two greatest football players to ever walk the earth killing it in a massive game. Get on board!

This.

Both are unreal players, we are lucky to be able to watch both of them in their prime.

Every Portugal/Madrid/Barca thread decends into who is the best. It ruins most of these threads tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Definitely goes missing in those big games.

Even Zlatan applauded his hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

^^

tumblr_mwjc1ilcml1rwwef2o1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Because he's an obnoxious vain idiot?

This post really really gripes me, obnoxious and vain? he has a lot of money would you rather he didn't spend it and walked around in Primark clothes?

I'm sure if you were worth over 100 million you wouldn't bother spending it on the nice things in life that working hard and showing dedication that so few do can afford you.

He's well known for his charitable contributions off the field, in fact he bought a house and pays the way for a friend he credits with giving him the chance to be in this situation.

He doesn't drink / doesn't smoke, is a phenomenal athlete and you don't see him in the papers for anything untoward.

He gets carried away ever so slightly on the pitch but no more than most football players in today's game, they're told to play up, get players booked, dive and simply gain an advantage for their team, that's football today and that's the way it will stay for the forseeable future.

Look at Ribery's antics last night, will there be a word uttered about them, NO cause he's not Ronaldo and it's only cool to jump on the media band wagon.

THFC wrote: »
    So basically your using your own ignorance to say Messi hasn't done something?? Strange logic to say the least.

Absolutely not. May have been the best, but certainly not by a significant margin.

I actually think that Messi and Ronaldo over the last 2 years are on par, however this year with Messi's niggling injuries he's taken a back seat to Ronaldo, hence the margin. It;s not anything he's done simply that he hasn't been able to play as well as he normally does due to injury.

If you were to ask me who's better between the 2 I'd say flip a coin, I don't buy into this Messi is the greatest ever, I simply think we are blessed to have probably the 2 greatest players the world has seen in quite some time playing at their peak and going to a world cup and that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He doesn't even dive or playact all that much anymore.

People still have this perception of him falling over all over the place. It's not 2004 anymore.

And his game is all the better for it.

You keep on referring back to Ronaldo as a child, yet you cite the clubs he's played for and him being (Obnoxious and arrogant) without knowing the guy as the reason you think his footballing talent shouldn't bring him the accolades he deserves...............................

see what i did there?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »

People still have this perception of him falling over all over the place. It's not 2004 anymore.

Oh I agree, it's VERY rare you see him going over but its the last perception that has had in people's mind, I'm just trying to iterate that the majority of great footballers have and will do, they're told to make the most of situations to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Only pity is that we won't get to see Ibra at the World Cup. You want to see all the best players there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He's been leading up to it, who I support has nothing to do with the topic we were talking about so why would he bring it up.

No he hasn't, he was doubting your neutrality on the topic given your allegiance.

Which is a moot point perhaps, but it's certainly not whether he hated Ronaldo becuase he played for United as you claimed in the post I previously quoted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Those passes look even better in GIF form.

Moneymaker wrote: »

Last night before his second (possibly third) goal he was limping around after a challenge and doing his usual whinging until he saw a ball to run on to and was suddenly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Them through balls from Moutinho for Ronaldo's first & third goals were unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9032894/-Nothing-To-Watch-
    At 32, it seems Ibrahimovic's last chance to play on the world stage has now passed.
    "It was probably the last attempt to reach the World Cup with the national team for me," he said on his app, Zlatan Unplugged. "One thing is for sure, a World Cup without me is nothing to watch so it is not worthwhile to wait for the World Cup.

What an ego! But we knew that already :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Those passes look even better in GIF form.
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Them through balls from Moutinho for Ronaldo's first & third goals were unbelievable.

I'm glad there are people who noticed it.

The chances were excellently taken by Ronaldo, but those passes.. phwoar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ronaldo can rightly make that claim, Zlatan can huff and puff, but he isn't in the same bracket. The ability is there no doubt, but his ego and arrogance manifests itself in a moody unpredictable way, Ronaldo's ego and arrogance manifests itself in big game goals. When the going gets tough, the winker shines through. Odious personality, unlucky to be playing in the Messi era otherwise he would be the best player in the world. Would have loved to see them together at Barca, can you imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I am pie wrote: »
    Ronaldo can rightly make that claim, Zlatan can huff and puff, but he isn't in the same bracket. The ability is there no doubt, but his ego and arrogance manifests itself in a moody unpredictable way, Ronaldo's ego and arrogance manifests itself in big game goals. When the going gets tough, the winker shines through. Odious personality, unlucky to be playing in the Messi era otherwise he would be the best player in the world. Would have loved to see them together at Barca, can you imagine!

I don't think you're ever likely to see Ibra "huff and puff" :D

There's no shame in Ibra not being as good as Ronaldo or Messi. He's still one of the best players I witnessed in my lifetime, and I don't think arrogance or being moody held him back in any way, to be honest.

Don't get this odious personality stuff that Ronaldo gets thrown at him either. Seems like a decent enough bloke, even as footballers go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I honestly think that those quotes from Ibrahimovic are tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Odious personality

Lazy, uninformed opinion piece.

Odious personality? I guess Ronaldo spends his nights flinging dead puppies at senior citizens does he? :rolleyes:

This post really really gripes me, obnoxious and vain? he has a lot of money would you rather he didn't spend it and walked around in Primark clothes?

I'm sure if you were worth over 100 million you wouldn't bother spending it on the nice things in life that working hard and showing dedication that so few do can afford you.

He's well known for his charitable contributions off the field, in fact he bought a house and pays the way for a friend he credits with giving him the chance to be in this situation.

He doesn't drink / doesn't smoke, is a phenomenal athlete and you don't see him in the papers for anything untoward.

He gets carried away ever so slightly on the pitch but no more than most football players in today's game, they're told to play up, get players booked, dive and simply gain an advantage for their team, that's football today and that's the way it will stay for the forseeable future.

Look at Ribery's antics last night, will there be a word uttered about them, NO cause he's not Ronaldo and it's only cool to jump on the media band wagon.

First there'll be the blaming of his colleagues and then the tears after their inevitable exit. The kid can't laugh at himself. He's very good at kicking a ball, but not anyone to be admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think you're ever likely to see Ibra "huff and puff" :D

There's no shame in Ibra not being as good as Ronaldo or Messi. He's still one of the best players I witnessed in my lifetime, and I don't think arrogance or being moody held him back in any way, to be honest.

Don't get this odious personality stuff that Ronaldo gets thrown at him either. Seems like a decent enough bloke, even as footballers go.

I go only go by what I see on the pitch, the ranting, rolling around and constant screaming at refs is pretty odious. All adds to the spectacle.

I don't Zlatan is particularly close to Messi and Ronaldo, I'd say there are at least 5 to 10 closer right now. I do believe his moodiness has seen him drop the head and give less than he needs to in his career, when he is not the focus of a game of the focal point of a team his attitude seems to be "to hell with it" He came alive after scoring last night, Ronaldo was constantly a thorn in the side of Sweden over two games. His ego has certainly hindered his career in that he couldn't settle with a club and define that club the way Messi has.

Abrahamovich will be remembered as a gifted but inconsistent player, one who shifted around clubs because he ego clashed with coaches and wouldn't allow him to settle. Ronaldo will be remembered in that golden bracket of players who left a lasting mark on the game over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd say there are at least 5 to 10 closer right now.

I'd like the names of these 10 players, because I'm almost certain the vast majority of them are not better than Ibra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lol
    I don't think many said that.

But a lot did have some other stupid reasons why Zlatan should be at the World Cup instead of him. Swedish fans and Zlatan's one liners just a sample.

The dislike for Ronaldo is hilarious, some aren't even a "fan" of the greatest footballer in the world at the minute, pretty idiotic really.

What's idiotic about it?

I'm a Liverpool and Atleti fan. He played for United and plays for Madrid, my too most disliked teams. Also he can be arrogant and petulant, epitomises some of the worst things of modern football. He's not the only one of course, but that doesn't change the fact that he makes himself a dislikeable individual, particularly for rival fans.

Can I appreciate that he is a phenomenal footballer, one of the best we've seen? Yes

Does that mean I have to be a fan? No

Out of interest, are you a fan of Luis Suarez, probably the best player in the Premier League at the moment? Does it make you idiotic if the answer is no?

Final point - for me, and I'm sure most others, Ronaldo still has a bit to do yet to top the greatest player I've ever seen, Leo Messi, so referring to him as the best player in the world as if it's not even up for debate is pretty idiotic.

Abrahamovich will be remembered as a gifted but inconsistent player, one who shifted around clubs because he ego clashed with coaches and wouldn't allow him to settle.

The Russian oligarch is handy at football?

Ibra settled in and won titles at lots of clubs. Don't think ego clashes lay behind his moving clubs. He knew he can deliver titles and wanted top dollar for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I'd like the names of these 10 players, because I'm almost certain the vast majority of them are not better than Ibra.
    Id also like the names of them and no RVP, Rooney and Ozil arent in that category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Abrahamovich will be remembered as a gifted but inconsistent player

By fools, perhaps.

And the thought of describing his career in any way as "hindered". Jesus wept.

Id also like the names of them and no RVP, Rooney and Ozil arent in that category

How could Ozil be compared v Zlatan anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's not outlandish to say that's there 5 other players in world football (Bar Messi and Ron) more effective than Zlatan. He's probably the most taleneted but that's beside the point. If I was starting a club tomorrow, i'd take Bale, Iniesta, Suarez, Ozil, Neymar and Ribery over him with a few others borderline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah Champions League winner and 5 time WCW...er Premier League winner Wayne Rooney isn't in that category. How many times has Zlatan dragged his team to a CL final?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If I was starting a club tomorrow, i'd take Bale, Iniesta, Suarez, Ozil, Neymar and Ribery over him with a few others borderline

So would I. Zlatan is 32.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah Champions League winner and 5 time WCW...er Premier League winner Wayne Rooney isn't in that category. How many times has Zlatan dragged his team to a CL final?

How many Serie A and La Liga medals does Wayne Rooney have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Morzadec wrote: »
    What's idiotic about it?

I'm a Liverpool and Atleti fan. He played for United and plays for Madrid, my too most disliked teams. Also he can be arrogant and petulant, epitomises some of the worst things of modern football. He's not the only one of course, but that doesn't change the fact that he makes himself a dislikeable individual, particularly for rival fans.

Can I appreciate that he is a phenomenal footballer, one of the best we've seen? Yes

Does that mean I have to be a fan? No

Out of interest, are you a fan of Luis Suarez, probably the best player in the Premier League at the moment? Does it make you idiotic if the answer is no?

Final point - for me, and I'm sure most others, Ronaldo still has a bit to do yet to top the greatest player I've ever seen, Leo Messi, so referring to him as the best player in the world as if it's not even up for debate is pretty idiotic.

I'll nail my colours to the mast first. I'm a United and Ronaldo fan.
    His attitude on the pitch some times alot to be desired at times( although, I believe that he has improved a lot in that area), but to compare his on-field attitude to Suarez, who has a penchant for biting lumps out of fellow professionals is a bit much.
    And no, I'm not a fan of Suarez for that very reason.

Advertisement