Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Cash Withdrawl

Options
  • 14-11-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully someone here can help me with a little problem I have or at least shed some light on the situation.

I was looking at my online statement today and noticed 50 euro had been withdrawn from my account two days ago. I didn't make this withdrawl and I'm certain of it.

I went to the bank today and enquired about it and they confirmed that monies had been withdrawn using my card but they seemed to suggest it were me who withdrew it even though I told them otherwise.

Anyways I am wondering what can I do to get to the bottom of it. Surely I can get cctv footage from the particular ATM and find out what happened. Anyone know what I can do next or had a similar situation arise?

Regards,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hopefully someone here can help me with a little problem I have or at least shed some light on the situation.

I was looking at my online statement today and noticed 50 euro had been withdrawn from my account two days ago. I didn't make this withdrawl and I'm certain of it.

I went to the bank today and enquired about it and they confirmed that monies had been withdrawn using my card but they seemed to suggest it were me who withdrew it even though I told them otherwise.

Anyways I am wondering what can I do to get to the bottom of it. Surely I can get cctv footage from the particular ATM and find out what happened. Anyone know what I can do next or had a similar situation arise?

Regards,
    James

Contact your bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If money was withdrawn at an ATM and you are sure it was not you then first step is to cancel your card to prevent any more cash being withdrawn, then go to the gardai and report a theft from your account, they are the only people who will get access to the CCTV if there is any CCTV on the ATM used, Most ATM's don't have any CCTV that will identify a person withdrawing cash.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If money was withdrawn at an ATM and you are sure it was not you then first step is to cancel your card to prevent any more cash being withdrawn, then go to the gardai and report a theft from your account, they are the only people who will get access to the CCTV if there is any CCTV on the ATM used, Most ATM's don't have any CCTV that will identify a person withdrawing cash.

The bank will take care of that, need to contact them first.

The bank seem to be working on the assumption that the OP was the person who withdrew the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The bank won't contact the gardai or get cctv footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, did you recently attempt to withdraw money at an outdoor ATM and was the transaction rejected after you entered your PIN? If so, you may have used your card in a fake machine in which case thieves may have cloned your card. You need to get your current card cancelled and a new one issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

I am currently chasing Danske Bank with a situation like yours.

When I contacted them they tried to tell me that this cannot happen. Luckily I was aware of the card cloning scam (BBC programme maybe) and told them
    this. They then said they would issue me with a form for me to complete stating the transactions I am disputing. On receipt of the completed form they say they will investigate (mentioned CCTV) and will revert to me.

That was a few days ago - Still waiting for the form.

N.B. I told them to cancel my card immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Hi,

Thank you for all your speedy replies. Yes, in my case they're working off the assumption that I withdrew the money, which I didn't. They confirmed that it was definitely withdrawn from an ATM. I mentioned to them about getting cctv footage but they seemed disinterested with the whole situation and said they'd investigate. It was in the Dundrum Town Centre, a place I'm not in all that often, so I imagine there would be enough cctv footage to catch whoever is responsible

Have you cancelled your card?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The bank seem to be working on the assumption that the OP was the person who withdrew the money.

He just needs to dispute it. They should provide him with a form to fill in and take it from there.
    The bank won't contact the gardai or get cctv footage.
    Should be all part of the dispute process, that needs to kick off first. It is it shown to be fraud they will contact them, though the op will need to speak to them also.

• Advertisement

Thanks again,

I have informed the bank and they gave me a number to call. I called to cancel my card and explained the situation to them. They said they will investigate. It's not even about the 50 euro I just want an explanation as to who took the money? There's surely cctv footage of the atm in Dundrum town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just throwing it out there:

You SURE it wasn't you?? Do you live in Dublin/ever go to Dundrum sc?? i.e. if you lived in Galway you can say with certainty it was 100% not you.
    NB. Sometimes transactions can take longer than normal to come through - have you been in Dundrum in last couple of weeks at all??

Any chance it was a friend/sibling? Does anyone else know your pin number?

It wasn't me...I'm certain of this! Unless it was from 3 weeks ago. It surely wouldn't come up on bank's computers as being 3 weeks late.

Anyways bank emailed and said they have cctv footage of the incident. They say they have a clear shot but didn't mention any other details. I thought they surely wouldn't have access to that kind of information especially since I'm ulster Bank and it was an AiB atm.

It wasn't me...I'm certain of this! Unless it was from 3 weeks ago. It surely wouldn't come up on bank's computers as being 3 weeks late.
    It might
    Anyways bank emailed and said they have cctv footage of the incident. They say they have a clear shot but didn't mention any other details. I thought they surely wouldn't have access to that kind of information especially since I'm ulster Bank and it was an AiB atm.

Its just cctv looking onto a public place. Banks share info all the time - how else do you think you can take UB cash out of an AIB ATM :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Unless it was from 3 weeks ago. It surely wouldn't come up on bank's computers as being 3 weeks late.
    Was the withdrawal that you made three weeks ago debited from your account?

I'm not sure if it was debited or not!

Didin't get a chance to go in to the bank this week. I'm still confused as to whether they will have any actual footage of a person on cctv or not

I'm not sure if it was debited or not!

Check your bank statement (online?) that'll tell you straightaway.

You need to know this before going into your bank. This could be the answer to it all.

Let us know how you get on with above/and the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Report it to the gardai as only way you can force the bank to check their cctv is if they receive an instruction from the gardai.

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Report it to the gardai as only way you can force the bank to check their cctv is if they receive an instruction from the gardai.

Have you read the whole thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

amdublin wrote: »
    Have you read the whole thread :confused:

I have experienced this before and only way bank would look at cctv was if they were directed to do so by the gardai and yes I have the read the thread only trying to pass on some help to someone who had a similar problem that I have encountered before!

• Advertisement

Rebel1977 wrote: »

This is not the case, banks will check CCTV when a transaction is disputed.

Thanks again for all the replies

Just wondering from anyone who has experienced something similar, how long does all this take...bank have said they will get to bottom of this but have heard no word back since

Thanks again for all the replies

Just wondering from anyone who has experienced something similar, how long does all this take...bank have said they will get to bottom of this but have heard no word back since

Have you been back into the bank since your last post?

You would think it would have been resolved by now alright, but you got to keep following up with the bank.

Plus have you checked your statement online to see if that withdrawal from 3 weeks again was actually debited correctly at the time.

Advertisement