Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox update has banjaxed PC!

Options
  • 14-11-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Help! Firefox was slow to start today so foolishly I followed the prompts to update it. Once updated, not only is Firefox not working but my emobile broadband has also stopped working and I can't get online at all! (Tried IE as well, Chrome has never worked and doesn't now).

I have a deadline and don't have time to get it fixed at the moment. Any ideas? Have restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled emobile. When I try to repair the connection it's not finding an IP address.

It's an old Dell PC, Windows XP, but worked perfectly until I tried that bloody upgrade!

If anyone would so kind as to give me advice, go easy on the techspeak please!

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure if a Firefox install prompts to enable the Windows Firewall, but some installers do.
    So if the install has enabled the Win Firewall, that might be blocking your comms. Try turning off the Windoes Firewall to see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

can you roll back in your system restore to yesterday before the upgrade ?

but its shouldn't have caused the issue you sure something else didn't update at the same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Tried all the firewall stuff. Am attempting a system restore now so will keep you posted. Thanks people!

System restore didn't work. I don't think I updated anything else at the same time, at least not intentionally! When I tried reinstalling the emobile dongle it's recognising that new hardware has been installed but then nothing, can't find it again even when I search for new hardware. Argh!

ok find the dongle in your device manager and choose uninstall, then CHANGE usb port to install the new one in it as every time you plug in a PNP device it installs it onto that port if its not been there before.

can you try the modem on a different system to make sure its not that first of all.

are you getting the emobile connection screen ? is it seeing the signal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

System restore didn't work. I don't think I updated anything else at the same time, at least not intentionally! When I tried reinstalling the emobile dongle it's recognising that new hardware has been installed but then nothing, can't find it again even when I search for new hardware. Argh!

I find it odd that a web browser update would corrupt the network settings or cause this issue. If you installed any previous dongles make sure you remove their drivers, those dongles are an absolute pita and seem to decide to screw up without any reason now and again.
    It could have been the Firefox update, but I doubt the updater would touch areas that could cause this issue. Do you get a response in a command prompt with: ping www.google.ie (Start>Run type cmd to open command prompt). If you do, then it's likely a setting somewhere causing the issue

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I find it odd that a web browser update would corrupt the network settings or cause this issue. If you installed any previous dongles make sure you remove their drivers, those dongles are an absolute pita and seem to decide to screw up without any reason now and again.
    It could have been the Firefox update, but I doubt the updater would touch areas that could cause this issue. Do you get a response in a command prompt with: ping www.google.ie (Start>Run type cmd to open command prompt). If you do, then it's likely a setting somewhere causing the issue

Nick

I tried that and did get a response. Not sure what it means though.

Reply from (IP address) bytes = 32 time = 35md TTL= 44

Then Ping statistics.

Word has stopped working now too. Crap.

ok "Reply from (IP address) bytes = 32 time = 35md TTL= 44" means your connected to the internet. and getting a responce from google.ie (im assuming the IP address is 74.125.24.94 :-D )
    i think you should do a virus scan as i do not think its anything to do with the FF update,

ok "Reply from (IP address) bytes = 32 time = 35md TTL= 44" means your connected to the internet. and getting a responce from google.ie (im assuming the IP address is 74.125.24.94 :-D )
    i think you should do a virus scan as i do not think its anything to do with the FF update,

Will try that again, thanks

also try downloading firefox portable and make sure its working from a usb stick wherever you are now and then try the same stick on your home system its not a browser issue but that will 100% rule it out, but scan anything connected to that system to be carefull

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Apologies for the silence - had to make that deadline!

I've managed to install an older, slower mobile broadband so not perfect but at least I'm online. Thanks again for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sounds to me like that windows in stall is riddled with crap.

Sounds to me like that windows in stall is riddled with crap.

Is there a way to unriddle it? Although I'm a bit nervous about uninstalling the new (older) dongle in case I can't get it back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do a full virus scan.
    download cCleaner and run it.
    uninstall any useless toolbars or other rubbish you dont need

Advertisement