Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good areas to live in castlebar

Options
  • 14-11-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there
    We are a family moving to castlebar can anyone please advise what are the good estates to live and what are the ones to avoid please ? Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VickyB

Hi there
    We are a family moving to castlebar can anyone please advise what are the good estates to live and what are the ones to avoid please ? Thanks a million!!

Hey there

Just a few suggestions from my own experience. I have lived in various locations in Castlebar and my favourite spot is on the Westport Road. Two estates I have lived in on that
    road have been Meadow Park and Knockaphunta. Both have been good. My last places was in Meadow Park and lived there for over 2 years as we really found the location great,
    neighbours good and its nice and quiet - small estate with approx. 50-60 houses. We have since moved as we have built our own house. They also set up a Residence Committee in the last
    few years and they seem quite active, makes you feel safe and also you see them out picking up rubbish and planting trees (have to say I didn't join in but should have) which is good
    for the estate as a whole.
    Knockaphunta is also quite similar and again we were just there for a year but have no complaints at all.
    Wouldn't like to comment on bad areas in Cbar but like everywhere there are some I am sure - just haven't had that experience.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Maryland, Aglish Estate, Currage, Lake Shore Drive, Rathbawn Drive, Garryduff, Knockaphunta, Blackfort Close are all nice well established estates.

I remember about 10 years ago I made a Castlebar version of the Monopoly Board game with input on the areas from a few friends. Maryland and Rocklands beside the golf club ended up as the purple ones. Rathbawn, Pontoon Drive and Watersville were Green. To avoid arguments I won’t mention which were brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Will you have kids going to school-that will help you narrow the field a little bit.

Also, are you looking at attached or semi detached, newer or older, near town or on the outskirts?

One other thing to consider is how many of the houses are owner occupied versus rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

The Brambles, The Oaks and Pontoon drive are all really nice estates also Knockaphunta, Maryland and forget the name but their is a nice one out on the left hand side of the breaffy road. These are nicer than some of the ones Dudda is mentioning like Aglish and Garryduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LauraBn

Lots of nice estates in Castlebar as mentioned above. Can only comment on estates we have experience of living in. We lived in three estates either side of town - The Oaks on the Turlough Road and Knockaphunta and Meadow Park on the Westport Road (like Vicky B). We were very happy in all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

The Oaks is probably the best. I have lived there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Having lived in Castlehill Park on the Turlough Road and Rossmór on the Pontoon Road in the recent past I found both exceptional,and both had Residents Associations who did not tolerate any crap or antisocial behaviour,drug dealing or any such unlawful activity that some landlords think they can inflict on others and do what they like. (Landlords in some areas are the worse offenders in off-loading any sort of tenants on quiet unsuspecting areas as long as they get their money,which is usually guaranteed HSE rent money! with tenants that do not give a damn).Be careful and do your research well.A community Garda will assist you,they are attached to the Residents Associations and a call by phone or in person to the Garda Station in the Mall,beside the Library will be of great help.Best of luck with your search!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ethical wrote: »
    Having lived in Castlehill Park on the Turlough Road and Rossmór on the Pontoon Road in the recent past I found both exceptional,and both had Residents Associations who did not tolerate any crap or antisocial behaviour,drug dealing or any such unlawful activity that some landlords think they can inflict on others and do what they like. (Landlords in some areas are the worse offenders in off-loading any sort of tenants on quiet unsuspecting areas as long as they get their money,which is usually guaranteed HSE rent money! with tenants that do not give a damn).Be careful and do your research well.A community Garda will assist you,they are attached to the Residents Associations and a call by phone or in person to the Garda Station in the Mall,beside the Library will be of great help.Best of luck with your search!

Rossmoor has a very good association for sure. Few "issues" there over the years were soon ironed out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Yes ,Rossmor had a few issues,i.e a nicely located estate that was left unfinished by the buider.With the assistance of the Residents Association,the local Town Council,a few of the local Councillors,namely,Noreen Heston,Michael Kilcoyne and Harry Barrett, pressure was put on the builder and just before he went belly-up the works required (updating of sewerage pipes,finishing of road surface etc) were carried out and the estate was taken over by the Council a couple of years ago and is probably the best estate in Castlebar to live in now.The Residents do not put up with any crap, care and look after their home and look out for each other to give a nice safe community feel to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I used to live in both dunbeag and carrabeag on the Newport road and both are lovely quiet estates. Dunbeag has been taken over by the council in recent weeks. Not sure of situation in carrabeag as it is unfinished, it was a hive of activity 2 years ago until kamer went bust. Both family friendly, very quiet and a lot of professionals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Westport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

yop wrote: »
    Rossmoor has a very good association for sure. Few "issues" there over the years were soon ironed out ;)

;)

I get ya. "issues" ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

;)

I get ya. "issues" ;)

And yet another pointless post.

Do you have nothing else to add outside of winks and smiles? If you have something to add, then put in, otherwise just avoid the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Ballina.....Simple decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

yop wrote: »
    And yet another pointless post.

Do you have nothing else to add outside of winks and smiles? If you have something to add, then put in, otherwise just avoid the thread.

Relax man, We're on the same page. :)

Advertisement