Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermomix?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 Elsoci

Wondering if anyone has bought a Thermomix and how they found it? It is expensive and I am concerned it will end up covered in cobwebs with many other useless gadgets I have foolishly purchased! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink - you might get better answers there

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have one. I use it a fair bit and I don't regret buying it. Haven't used the steamer basket or the whipping/beating attachment, but the main heating bowl combined with hugely powerful blender is excellent. The preset temperature ranges are great for making sauces, custards, soups etc. It can be used to temper chocolate. The powerful motor will grind spices.

Unfortunately, the recipe booklet that comes with it is like something from the seventies. There is also a subscription newsletter where thermomix owners post recipes. I find much of this uninspiring. There is a lot of effort in advertising it as a multifunctional kitchen tool that will cook a complete dinner. This is misguided at best and I find it misses the mark.

There are limited resources available to fully demonstrate the full potential of the thermomix. Like much of the modern catering equipment, recipes and cookbooks are written to assume that the home cook doesn't have access to this sort of kit. But Madalene Bonvini-Hamel at the British Larder has probably the best collection of thermomix recipes on the web. Have a look here http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/recipe/thermomix/#axzz2kfECxawp

I'm pleased I bought it, I even went so far as buying a second jug. It comes into its own at Christmas, where it's like having a spare pair of hands in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

i also have one. i think it has good possibility. the only issue is that the recipe books are very so-so. i would love to understand more how it works so i can use regular recipes in the thermomix.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone ever heard of a Bimby?
    http://www.ukthermomix.com/

Apparently they outsell ipads in Portugal!
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304403804579262630205737984

Recent thread on the Food & Drink forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87502742

Never heard it called a Bimby. Interesting article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks Dizzy :)

Yes I found the article very intersting indeed.

Minder - do you mind saying how much you paid for it? I have seen prices of £800stg :eek: and €1200euro :eek:

Jeebs when I think about the time spent thinking about whether to buy a kenwood or not (€300 :eek:) I cannot think about this price.

What did you pay?
    Is it really worth that?!

Pps. How much was the extra jug?! (I saw this recommended in another article alright)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

amdublin wrote: »
    Thanks Dizzy :)

Yes I found the article very intersting indeed.

Minder - do you mind saying how much you paid for it? I have seen prices of £800stg :eek: and €1200euro :eek:

Jeebs when I think about the time spent thinking about whether to buy a kenwood or not (€300 :eek:) I cannot think about this price.

What did you pay?
    Is it really worth that?!

Pps. How much was the extra jug?! (I saw this recommended in another article alright)

I was wondering how much it was when reading their website. I'm always suspicious when a site doesn't show it's prices. The functionality does seem impressive though.

950 sterling, which included a second bowl. If I recall, kit was 850 for the unit, 100 for the extra bowl. roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

That's a bit steep:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hootanany wrote: »
    That's a bit steep:eek:
    You can say that again. I'd expect it to cook my dinner for me with no manual intervention at all for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is expect a bit more:D

Just found this blog on using thermomix.
    http://thermomix-er.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/thermomix-sabayon-with-blueberries.html

Also has links to lots of other thermomix users. Might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi Minder, I notice that it says that it grinds spices, in my experience most things that say they grind don't really do a good job of it. Does this actually grind say mustard seed to a fine powder?

A family member has one
    I prefer making cakes with a handmixer still, but it's great for stuff like converting granulated sugar to caster or icing if I've run out (perfectly fine powder icing), it'll do a risotto all on its own without constant supervision and stirring... We actually got the guy to do a demonstration before buying and he whipped up loads of stuff
    The icecream was great as well
    I'm not very inspiring-sounding, but it does get a lot of use :)

Ive ground up rice to make rice powder and it does a good job grounding it. The best would be to go to a Thermomix demo as you can really see how the machine works. I find the demo very straight forward and there are no "tricks" so to speak. My goal this year is to use the thermomix more as I have not used it as much since I bought it.

Sorry to be a pain, but how much can it grind at a time? Like could you grind a kilo of rice? or is it a small bowl?

I'm not sure if it can grind a kilo or rice. When I did it it was about 1/2 cup of rice. The bowl has a 2L capacity I think. But I'm not sure if it can grind things finely if the whole bowl is filled up.

That's great, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have been looking for something to grind things properly for a while and I currently use a big Magimix, but I really don't like it much and I don't think it is a great machine.

I will look into the demonstrations, though they all seem to be in Dublin.

Where are you from? I went to the demonstration in Houseworks (its by Pearse Street) and Ruth the demonstrator was really nice

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

I just called them, I live in the wilds of North Cork. I asked her if it could grind what I want to grind and she said yes, but Magimix said that too... :however she is going to get a demonstrator to contact me and I can take my seeds with me and have a personal demonstration! So cool! I am over excited now.

Let's know how you get on?

I certainly will :D

They haven't called me yet. :( Hopefully tomorrow. I'd love to go and see it next week.

According to their website they do a payment plan which does seem to apply in Ireland too.

Still, if I do get it it'll be liver and bacon for me for the whole rest of the year.

Minder wrote: »
    Let's know how you get on?

Well they called me and I can't just go and see it working somewhere in Munster. What they want is that I have a group of friends round, she sends me a shopping list and then she demonstrates bread rolls, soup, sorbet and some kind of fruit crumble.

To be honest I don't think it is a great way of selling the thing - I really don't have the time to be messing around giving a flipping lunch party - I just want to know if it will do what I want it to do. It sounds to me like the Celtic tiger version of a Tupperware party.

So I have knocked it on the head for the time being and will just time my next Dublin visit round the demo that Yogaindublin mentioned.

Advertisement