Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data Protection

• 14-11-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

We have an annual Kiddies party in my work place. In order that Sports & Social determine that people are bringing their own children as opposed to nephews/nieces grand children they contacted our health care provider to see if we have any children on our policy. I don't as my child is covered on my wife's policy which is better cover.

Question is should my Health Care provider be providing personnel information about me to other parties ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Absolutely not.

However, who pays for your healthcare. You or your company? If it is your company then they may have a right to check who is on the policy.

Is the simple solution to this for the attendees to provide names in advance of the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

We've been requested to provide birth certs. My attitude is my HR has it on record that I took paternity leave. Couldn't have done this without having a child . The sports & social committee shouldn't be able to request access to my health care policy even if they're only looking to see whose on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

However, who pays for your healthcare. You or your company? If it is your company then they may have a right to check who is on the policy.

Is the simple solution to this for the attendees to provide names in advance of the party?

Regardless of who pays for the healthcare the data can only be used for the purpose for which it was gathered for i.e. to provide coverage to named children. For verifying their right to turn up at a children's party is far outside of this.

TBH I really don't understand the desperate need to prevent anything other then children of employees attending. Most organisations would say it and leave it at that but the verification process seems excessive vs the problem. I think a quiet word in whoever is on your sports and social commitee is called for - I doubt the company would be happy if they knew this was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

crusher000 wrote: »
    We've been requested to provide birth certs. My attitude is my HR has it on record that I took paternity leave. Couldn't have done this without having a child . The sports & social committee shouldn't be able to request access to my health care policy even if they're only looking to see whose on it.

I think your bigger problem is whoever is in charge in your S&S committee. What a ridiculous demand.

micosoft wrote: »
    Regardless of who pays for the healthcare the data can only be used for the purpose for which it was gathered for i.e. to provide coverage to named children. For verifying their right to turn up at a children's party is far outside of this.

Agreed. However, the OP said that the company had contacted his health care provider (assume insurance co). Either they are completely bonkers or they have some interest in the policy that would give them some access to information about the policy.
    TBH I really don't understand the desperate need to prevent anything other then children of employees attending. Most organisations would say it and leave it at that but the verification process seems excessive vs the problem. I think a quiet word in whoever is on your sports and social commitee is called for - I doubt the company would be happy if they knew this was happening.

I assume that the company is very large and possibly a multinational. There doesn't seem to be a level of trust between the S&S organisers and the employees. I presume there's presents involved for the kids, probably of an electronic variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

We are a large multi national. There are issues around people bringing children not directly theirs. The S&S have a hard task but I am a customer of the Health Care company and don't think they should give information out.

Could I request the names of all those that are divorced ?

I think your S&S have lost the run of themselves.

Now is the time to signal you are dropping out because the burden of proof is over the top. Encourage others to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

crusher000 wrote: »
    We are a large multi national. There are issues around people bringing children not directly theirs. The S&S have a hard task but I am a customer of the Health Care company and don't think they should give information out.

Could I request the names of all those that are divorced ?

If you are a large multinational you will have a data protection officer (statutory and required). Talk to them. Alternatively just talk to a HR officer and point out the obvious wrongness of this. It's just an overzealous member of the S&S team who is probably not even aware of the issue.

Advertisement