Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slaughtered Lamb Soon to become Weatherspoons

Options
  • 14-11-2013 3:56pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The UK chain who have nearly 900 pubs in the UK have purchased the Slaughtered Lamb and will very soon taking it over . There was due to be a coffee shop where the whiskey bar was and a Tapas bar was going in upstairs . But the UK chain came in with an offer and the deal was done earlier this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Where'd you hear this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

peteb2 wrote: »
    Where'd you hear this?

Wondering the same, any links?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Lets just say I heard it from the horses mouth .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

So it's hearsay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

sharkman wrote: »
    Lets just say I heard it from the horses mouth .

I heard the same last night, and was going to post here. But after a dew frinks i forgot about it..

Three people were talking about it and one of those, will be in competition with them. He said it was fact etc.. Some saying good things, some bad. (As always).

But definitely happening.

Another premises being eyed up by UK chains, is the Old Boro.
    I suppose that will depend on getting permission to make it more open plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Hi guys
    We can confirm that the refurb to the lamb has stopped and that an offer from a very big English name has been made to buy the pub.After great thought from the owners of the lamb the offer has been accepted and is going through the process
    The owners of the slaughtered lamb would like to thank all the people of swords and surrounding areas for there unbelievable support over the past 12 years trading as the slaughtered lamb
    We wish the pub every success trading under its new name as we hope it goes on from strength to strength
    More news to follow as it unfolds

Stay classy swords

Warm regards
    The lamb

Weatherspoons apparently. Sad to see it go, i spent many a Thursday night in there years ago. Don't know where to go for Christmas Eve now.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Weatherspoons apparently. Sad to see it go, i spent many a Thursday night in there years ago. Don't know where to go for Christmas Eve now.

Well you could always go down on 'boxing day' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

British pub chain JD Wetherspoon buys Dublin bar for €1.5m

BRITISH PUB OPERATOR JD Wetherspoon has exchanged contracts to buy its first pub in the Republic of Ireland, the Tonic Bar in Blackrock, Dublin.

The company expects to complete the €1.5 million purchase in the next ten days.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-dublin-1192320-Nov2013/

Looks like it's the start of things to come

Michael Wright (Wrights Bars/Nightclub) has bought it apparently... :confused: (I Thought it was a done deal with wetherspoons)

He is going to turn it into a Yoga/Pilates club. Presume he didn't want Wetherspoons in on his turf. :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Allyall wrote: »
    Michael Wright (Wrights Bars/Nightclub) has bought it apparently... :confused: (I Thought it was a done deal with wetherspoons)

He is going to turn it into a Yoga/Pilates club. Presume he didn't want Wetherspoons in on his turf. :P

He has just opened said club up beside the Venue.

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    He has just opened said club up beside the Venue.

Think that's a Gym. But I don't know. But he has agreed to buy Slaughtered lamb, and is going to set it up as a Yoga/Pilates (Initially anyway).

I believe other parties involved pulled out for various reasons, one party were in financial difficulties, I have no idea what happened to Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Allyall wrote: »
    Think that's a Gym. But I don't know.

He bought FlyeFit? :eek:

Paybel wrote: »
    He bought FlyeFit? :eek:

I don't know who owns the Gym beside the Wright Venue.

I'm talking about Slaughtered Lamb.

oh - sorry!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jackie Skelly owns Flyefit.

Ginny wrote: »
    Jackie Skelly owns Flyefit.

That's what i thought - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Choppersticks

The Michael Wright fell true. A new client bought the bar and it's going to be a Hugh refurb. I know this to be true 100/percent

The Michael Wright fell true. A new client bought the bar and it's going to be a Hugh refurb. I know this to be true 100/percent

Yeah, I meant to come back here. I was told why the Wright thing fell through, but I can't remember now, It was a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So is it back to Wetherspoons ? Or still in limbo ?

Someone else has apparently agreed to take it over. Going to do it up and re-open it.

• Advertisement

Apparently the reason others fell through is because there is a lot of money owed for the Council Rates. Unpaid for quite a while or very high, so that debt came with the building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That doesn't make sense. The lease holder would be liable for rates during the period of his or her use. The debt doesn't travel with the letter, but the owner of the building can be held liable (though this is only very new rulings).

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. The lease holder would be liable for rates during the period of his or her use. The debt doesn't travel with the letter, but the owner of the building can be held liable (though this is only very new rulings).
    I don't or won't pretend to know how it works.
    I was told there are unpaid rates of "close to a quarter of a million". Until the owner pays those, the building can't be sold.

So unless the buyer paid them (rates) off for the owner, including it in the price or otherwise, all of the agreements will fall through.
    At least that is my understanding of it.

EDIT - I probably would have been more correct to say the debt came with the sale, rather than saying the debt came with the building..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

pinkypinky wrote: »

from my experience fingal will pass the outstanding rates bill onto the new tennant. they dont care whos liable they just want their money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    from my experience fingal will pass the outstanding rates bill onto the new tennant. they dont care whos liable they just want their money.

Yep, I know a few people who got stung for previous rates due when they took on a commercial building

Yes there's a guy who has taken it over and is going to spend nearly 4million on the refit. The same guy ran a Massive venue on the outskirts of dublin a few years ago. That's a done deal starting the refit soon or might have already started to rip it out !!!!!!

Weather spoons. Deal is gone I do believe there still looking in swords for a property !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Still no planning applications for anything lodged AFAIK but on the Weatherspoons front their new pub in Blackrock is soon to open according to their web site
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-three-tun-tavern

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe blogs1

I don't know where everybody is getting there info but there is no deal been done with the lamb or has it been sold there is a meeting to be held next Monday with a new possible buyer if they fall throw the pub with go back on the market at the end of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Yes there's a guy who has taken it over and is going to spend nearly 4million on the refit. The same guy ran a Massive venue on the outskirts of dublin a few years ago. That's a done deal starting the refit soon or might have already started to rip it out !!!!!!

What sort of a lunatic would spend €4 million on a refit in the current enviroment, how many years would it take to make a profit on that ?

In the uk weatherspoons take over buildings that basically nobody else can use and get them for a song, listed banks, old clubs, courts etc. spending a fortune on a refit and selling pints for €4 is not their business model.

Advertisement