Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dachshunds

• 14-11-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Would love to hear people's experiences of owning dachshunds, both miniature and standard. Is is difficult to source a well bred one in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

have no experience of them but love the wired haired ones.

Check if there will be any at Pet Expo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Vel wrote: »
    Would love to hear people's experiences of owning dachshunds, both miniature and standard. Is is difficult to source a well bred one in Ireland?

The are lovely little dogs with the right owner. They have lots of personality in a little body. I would recommend you go to an IKC show & have a look at them to decide which size & coat type you prefer. Then you can approach the breed club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks!

Won't make it to the Pet Expo this year unfortunately. We would be looking at introducing one to our family (if they are the right dog for us) in the next 2 - 3 years but I'd like to start making contact with breeders sometime in the New Year. That said breeder recommended by breed club does not always equal well bred dogs, no? If anyone can pm me details of responsible, well regarded breeders please pm me.

I prefer the smooth coat and ideally the miniatures but we have to factor in the fact that we have two sighthounds, who although good with small dogs, may not be the best match for a miniature one!

Our personal preference is to adopt rescue dogs as the breed we like, the sighthounds, are in rescues up and down the country. Ideally we would prefer to adopt a slightly older dog rather than a puppy but they almost never come up in rescue and if they do I'd imagine they'd be snapped up before I could say dachshund!! Do breeders ever rehome older dogs who might have been returned or whom they are no longer breeding from and aren't keeping themselves?

In the meantime, would love to hear stories from those who know what they are like to live with!

Thanks!

Won't make it to the Pet Expo this year unfortunately. We would be looking at introducing one to our family (if they are the right dog for us) in the next 2 - 3 years but I'd like to start making contact with breeders sometime in the New Year. That said breeder recommended by breed club does not always equal well bred dogs, no? If anyone can pm me details of responsible, well regarded breeders please pm me.

I prefer the smooth coat and ideally the miniatures but we have to factor in the fact that we have two sighthounds, who although good with small dogs, may not be the best match for a miniature one!

Our personal preference is to adopt rescue dogs as the breed we like, the sighthounds, are in rescues up and down the country. Ideally we would prefer to adopt a slightly older dog rather than a puppy but they almost never come up in rescue and if they do I'd imagine they'd be snapped up before I could say dachshund!! Do breeders ever rehome older dogs who might have been returned or whom they are no longer breeding from and aren't keeping themselves?

In the meantime, would love to hear stories from those who know what they are like to live with!

I have friends who have Irish Wolfhounds & Wires, They all get on well. However you do have to be really careful mixing large heavy breeds with very small breeds when exercising them. I know of a Border Terrier who collided with a Spinone that ended tragically.

From seeing the Dachies at shows & training classes they do have very strong personalities!

The breed is now judged by FCI standards rather then mini, standard etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I actually know of a rescue trying to rehome a dachshund due to owner illness if you are interested OM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks Angelfire. If only but now just isn't the right time for us to introduce a new dog. Thanks though

Thanks Angelfire. If only but now just isn't the right time for us to introduce a new dog. Thanks though

When I see my friends at the next show I will have a chat with them & get some info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

We often dogsit two young Dachshunds - one longhaired and the other smooth - for a week at a time. They are highly energetic (although not fast with their stumpy little legs!), and extremely good-natured. They are not the most biddable, despite some months of training, but I am not sure whether being strong-willed is a breed trait since one of them is much more obedient and submissive than the other. In any case, the more independent of the two does eventually give in to our commands! Lovely dogs though, I would happily have one myself, having now been exposed to them.

Advertisement