Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

podmu80 wrote: »
    Crazy to think that 500,000 people from Cork fly with Ryanair from other Airports.
    A fantastic piece of infrastruture that it seems will never be given the chance to maximize its potential.
    Is the only solution a similar deal to the one that Shannon got? Because its impossible to see the powers that be agreeing to that. Is there any alternative plan that could be put in place, or are the DAA really not that bothered and would actually prefer the slide to continue?

Would take that with a pinch of salt!! This is a FR figure....only suits their agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Masala wrote: »
    Would take that with a pinch of salt!! This is a FR figure....only suits their agenda!

Fair point. But I would still imagine it to be a substantial figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

I'm one of those 500,000. Given the greater choice of destinations, cheaper prices and timetables just a 25 euro bus trip away, I've used Dublin over Cork multiple times over the past few years. Shame really.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    I'm one of those 500,000. Given the greater choice of destinations, cheaper prices and timetables just a 25 euro bus trip away, I've used Dublin over Cork multiple times over the past few years. Shame really.

....that says it all!!! How can an airport attract an airline / a new route when the locals will drive past it to save a few euro!! Everyone want new flights BUT wont support them when they are up and running if it inconveniences them on times or prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

....that says it all!!! How can an airport attract an airline / a new route when the locals will drive past it to save a few euro!! Everyone want new flights BUT wont support them when they are up and running if it inconveniences them on times or prices.

If you can save a few euro from elsewhere, why would you fly from cork? Especially if the flights are not there. It's not as simple as just supporting local.

In 2014 I was going to Lanzarote. From Shannon (my local airport) it was almost double the price of flying from cork, as well as that I could get a 10day holiday from cork and the times were far better than Shannon and Knock. Dublin was too expensive.

I will support local to a certain extent, but its not always smart or possible. You cannot rant to people telling them that they won't support them. People will support them, but only to an extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Would being inconvenienced on time and price not be a big issue for most people?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    . You cannot rant to people telling them that they won't support them. People will support them, but only to an extent.

Only to an extent....????? what... when the airline is offering Ryanair style fares. Well that must be some comfort to an airline like Flybe and Stobart who cant match that model.

Only to an extent....????? what... when the airline is offering Ryanair style fares. Well that must be some comfort to an airline like Flybe and Stobart who cant match that model.
    Welcome to the world of LCC's.

People are hardly expected to pay 4x the fare and travel on a crappy propeller plane for the sake of supporting their local airport.

Ryanair have recently offered SNN-MAN for €4.99 each way (€10 return). Compare this to when the stobarts did the route, the lowest ever price I witnessed on them was €100 return.

When Stobart were on the MAN route from SNN, Ryanair offered €20 return from dub. Is the €80 saving worth the extra fuel and time to DUB? For me, I'd have gone with mr.Stobart from Shannon, due to me being in west Clare and wanting to support Shannon, but for people in Limerick or Galway, its weighing towards the DUB option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

If Cork could get reasonable price flights I would ALWAYS use Cork. Only use Dublin if flight is 70 Euro or more cheaper!! I'm not going all the way up to Dublin for the sake of 40 Euro like!

The "like" was really needed to make the post part of the cork fourm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

It is probably time for people to accept that there is no desire amongst politicians to free up Cork airport in any meaningful way and to also accept that the DAA would be extremely foolish to promote Cork as they would be slitting their own throats.
    With the decline in passenger numbers I would expect Cork airport to reduce its winter operating hours in the near future, and to only be open 24 hr during summer months.
    Aer lingus and Ryanair would be quite happy to accommodate Cork passengers on their Shannon and Dublin flights and would not care at all if Cork airport closed, In fact they would be pleased.
    The damage already done by the decline in passenger numbers and decline in airline operators is now nearly impossible to reverse and many Cork people now accept it as the norm to fly by "Aircoach". Cork taxi drivers now have more bookings to the patricks quay aircoach stop than they do to Cork Airport.
    There was a time when we thought Cork would always have a UK ferry service, it's now realistic to assume that our Airport is heading down the swanee in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Someone on the radio now 96fm more or less saying it is the passengers fault why the flights aren't there from Cork Airport... Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Milly33 wrote: »
    Someone on the radio now 96fm more or less saying it is the passengers fault why the flights aren't there from Cork Airport... Muppets

That's actually the exact problem. People are choosing to save close to a hundred flying from DUB, paying 30euro for the aircoach. And then these same people have the gall to complain about ORK.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    That's actually the exact problem.

I completely disagree. Whats the point of flying to eg. Brussels from cork for business if you have missed a working day just by "supporting local"? What about if I need to go to Paris for business? The flight to CDG from cork is not suitable for short trips.

Its pure foolishness to put the blaim on the customers of the airport (eg. cork citizens).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I completely disagree. Whats the point of flying to eg. Brussels from cork for business if you have missed a working day just by "supporting local"? What about if I need to go to Paris for business? The flight to CDG from cork is not suitable for short trips.

Its pure foolishness to put the blaim on the customers of the airport (eg. cork citizens).

I agree with regards to the routes you have mentioned completely, but you are referring to routes which don't serve that purpose which you require from ORK. I'm referring to for example (what I see on a daily-basis) in Dublin Airport, family's from Cork flying with for example Aer Lingus to Lanzarote from Dublin (served 3 weekly from ORK), and I am not lying when I say even to London/Heathrow. There is a majority going to Eastern Europe, a result of Ryanair's dirty tricks with Wizz Air. While I agee blaiming the passengers will get the airport absolutely no where, people also need to understand Cork is and will always be a regional airport that cannot offer the types of frequencys available from the Capital's and Country's main International hub. In saying that though, it is completely foolish to see people getting the aircoach to DUB, onto EI flights bound for LHR and that's P2P pax, happening in droves and I do not understand it.

It's generally more then a few euro price difference in my experience. People's loyalty is to thier wallets, not airport x over airport y.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I agree with regards to the routes you have mentioned completely, but you are referring to routes which don't serve that purpose which you require from ORK. I'm referring to for example (what I see on a daily-basis) in Dublin Airport, family's from Cork flying with for example Aer Lingus to Lanzarote from Dublin (served 3 weekly from ORK), and I am not lying when I say even to London/Heathrow. There is a majority going to Eastern Europe, a result of Ryanair's dirty tricks with Wizz Air. While I agee blaiming the passengers will get the airport absolutely no where, people also need to understand Cork is and will always be a regional airport that cannot offer the types of frequencys available from the Capital's and Country's main International hub. In saying that though, it is completely foolish to see people getting the aircoach to DUB, onto EI flights bound for LHR and that's P2P pax, happening in droves and I do not understand it.

The Cork people who choose to fly to Lanzarote from Dublin must love looking down at Cork Airport while they fly high over it, must be depressing on the way home, considering the journey they have ahead of them.

I flew from ORK-ACE this year, yet my preferred airport is Shannon. Its all to do with price and schedule.

I flew from ORK-ACE this year, yet my preferred airport is Shannon. Its all to do with price and schedule.

Of course it is and you from County Clare. Shannon is a fine airport and as a fellow Munster resident I like it too but I would not go to the trouble of driving all the way there and back if the same route was available at Cork considering I live here.

kub wrote: »
    Of course it is and you from County Clare. Shannon is a fine airport and as a fellow Munster resident I like it too but I would not go to the trouble of driving all the way there and back if the same route was available at Cork considering I live here.

So in my case, there was a weekly Ryanair flight from SNN-ACE in the airport down the road for me. Why do you think I flew from Cork? I could have easily flown from Shannon, but it was more confident from cork.

• Advertisement

So in my case, there was a weekly Ryanair flight from SNN-ACE in the airport down the road for me. Why do you think I flew from Cork? I could have easily flown from Shannon, but it was more confident from cork.

Sorry how do you mean it was more confident from Cork?

Sorry how do you mean it was more confident from Cork?

I typed convenient, but autocorrect plays with my words. Sorry for the confusion.

Another possible issue is lack of route awareness. I know a woman who booked DUB-BVA for this summer simply because they were unaware of the SNN route. It was partly ignorance on behalf of the woman but it wasn't intentional. If she had flown from Shannon, a friend would have dropped her there, as she flew from Dublin she needed to get the bus.

I typed convenient, but autocorrect plays with my words. Sorry for the confusion.

The joys of modern technology.........I know why you did it.......go on be honest.......you were secretly hoping that the flight home could not land at Cork due to fog/ wind direction and would have diverted to your local instead and you would have been sorted? That is convenient now isn't it?

But seriously I suppose the other factors that have to be considered are work holidays, sudden cheap deals at resorts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Then what is it suitable for, what is it you want from the airport, twice daily to everywhere. I can't make up my mind whether your trolling.

I have two points.
    1. The airlines have caused most of the downfall at cork.

Ryanair for obvious reason (forcing other airlines off routes then cancelling them themselves)
    But people seem to forget about Aer Lingus. Eg, if the Paris flight left at around 6am instead of the Malaga flight, it would get a lot more business pax.

2. No matter what you do, Dublin will be more convent for a lot of flights.

Its pretty obvious that cork can't maintain (or even come close) a year round 2x daily flight to Brussels. No matter what ya do, the Dublin schedule will always be more convenient. Its not the peoples fault, not the airports fault or anyone's fault.

Could Aer Lingus get a landing slot at 7 am in CDG?

Just on Dublin, at the rate that expansion is going up there,perhaps soon it will not be comfortable for passengers to use it and people might fall back to using their own local airport.

Could Aer Lingus get a landing slot at 7 am in CDG?

I suppose that's another question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TINA1984 wrote: »
    It's generally more then a few euro price difference in my experience. People's loyalty is to thier wallets, not airport x over airport y.

That is a not necessarily true. Personally there would have to be a VERY good reason for me to fly from anywhere other than Cork. Reason one is obvious...no direct flight to where I am going. Number 2 may be cost...but Cork would want to be really really really massively more expensive for me to go to all the hassle of dealing with Dublin airport over Cork.

It is nothing to do with loyalty to Cork...just convenience.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    That is a not necessarily true. Personally there would have to be a VERY good reason for me to fly from anywhere other than Cork. Reason one is obvious...no direct flight to where I am going. Number 2 may be cost...but Cork would want to be really really really massively more expensive for me to go to all the hassle of dealing with Dublin airport over Cork.

It is nothing to do with loyalty to Cork...just convenience.

Just pricing flights for my next jaunt to my usual destination, 20 euro return from Dublin, 98 euro return same destination and dates from Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement