Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It has been made clear that Shannon wouldn't get the Shannon Development funds, I'm looking for an article now.

I support Shannon, and I don't ever relinquish that for a minute and I assume that's pretty clear. But I also like cork airport and I have used it several times. They deserve to be wiped free of debt as Shannon has been and as knock will be. This will allow them to get FR back on a few routes (fr will jump back). Aer Lingus may start up the cancelled LIS and NCE route's and may bring back a few European carriers.

Knock will get an infrastructure fund, something cork will not get. That's my other point.

My points have been repeatidly ignored here so there's no point reiterating them after now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The fact that you went back into the emails to find my already deleted comment shows a lot doesn't it

A bit unfair that.... You posted and I replied....you then deleted. So I reciprocated in fairness and also deleted. To be honest... You made your point...I made mine. So let's leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

2. Dublin makes a nice profit, where as cork makes a loss, something further increased by the crippling debt.
    Cork Airport makes an operating profit.

Cork politicians and the newspapers based in Cork are unbelievably quite about all of this. At least the Connaught Telegraph were pointing this out two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

rebs23 wrote: »
    Cork Airport makes an operating profit.

It is to the tune of roughly €5m per annum, however by the time its serviced its debts & depreciations, that €5 profit turns into an annual €15m loss

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    A bit unfair that.... You posted and I replied....you then deleted. So I reciprocated in fairness and also deleted. To be honest... You made your point...I made mine. So let's leave it there

Having just read both posts, I think thats a great idea......

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

The big fear in Shannon at the moment is that while Willie Walsh is ready to commit to continuing Aer Lingus's London Heathrow/Shannon route, he is unwilling to offer the same commitment to Shannon/USA routes. He is more interested in increasing and expanding the Dublin/USA routes. If that takeover deal goes ahead it looks like it will be a setback to Shannon over time. I do believe that we will see some movement from this government on Cork airport before the next general election, but it will probably just be soundbites and another steering committee of some kind, They will perhaps offer some kind of meaningless development fund that on paper will look rosey but there is no political will there to make real change or to invest in Cork Airport. At this stage it is seen as a white elephant and while the government will not want to be seen to be winding it down towards a part-time/summer Airport, that is in fact what they want.
    I think that the next step will be to see the aircoach being allowed to use Bus Eireann's terminals for departures and arrivals, or moving from patricks quay to an area that offers shelter to awaiting passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

corkonion wrote: »
    The big fear in Shannon at the moment is that while Willie Walsh is ready to commit to continuing Aer Lingus's London Heathrow/Shannon route, he is unwilling to offer the same commitment to Shannon/USA routes. He is more interested in increasing and expanding the Dublin/USA routes. If that takeover deal goes ahead it looks like it will be a setback to Shannon over time. .

Unlike LHR routes, if JFK and BOS were dropped by Aer Lingus, there would be other takers. Transatlantic traffic is one of the areas SNN punches well above its weight

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Unlike LHR routes, if JFK and BOS were dropped by Aer Lingus, there would be other takers. Transatlantic traffic is one of the areas SNN punches well above its weight

Whether it does or not is irrelevant, Willie Walsh and IAG are unwilling to give a commitment to the future of transatlantic routes from Shannon, but they are willing to commit to increasing the same routes out of Dublin, therefore it is of concern to the people of Clare and Limerick.. I would assume that other carriers would provide a similar service there in the summer months, but doubt that they would match the present quantity of flights there, anyway, back to Cork Airport...

corkonion wrote: »
    Whether it does or not is irrelevant, Willie Walsh and IAG are unwilling to give a commitment to the future of transatlantic routes from Shannon, but they are willing to commit to increasing the same routes out of Dublin, therefore it is of concern to the people of Clare and Limerick.. I would assume that other carriers would provide a similar service there in the summer months, but doubt that they would match the present quantity of flights there, anyway, back to Cork Airport...

Aer Lingus don't have that much at Shannon. Its been a 4x weekly flight to BOS for the second half of January and so far into February. Better than last year but not amazing by any means.

Anyway, I have seen several more articles on starting an ORK-DUB route. I don't know whether I would be welcoming this or not. On one hand, it will get people flying from cork a bit more (they will fly from cork-dub and then connect rather than drive. It would also bring a few more american tourists into the cork region. On the other hand, it may decrease the amount of PAX using the LHR and more importantly the AMS route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

With the takeover of Aer Lingus looking more likely now and the government to get ~€400m from the deal,Cork airport needs to be given independence and made debt free immediately.

Cork Politicians need to be calling for this now.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They'll send a polite letter to Enda.

Just for info, the feeling on the ground from Cork airport is that the IAG deal could open new routes & could actually be good for the airport......time will tell, but that's the feeling at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Some one would want to tell that to the politicians,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/loss-of-heathrow-slots-could-scupper-events-centre-312442.html

Thoughts on this? I think its ridiculous mentioning in depth the thoughts of the Heineken spokesperson and not mentiong in any depth the exact comments of Willie Walsh toward Cork airport. I'd advise anyone to have a listen but Walsh only had good things to say about Cork airport. He pointed out that the traffic on the Cork-LHR routes has actually increased in recent years. I simply cannot understand this whole thought process of people this idea that the links are eteranally safe under the current Aer Lingus shareholding. As the article says:
    Appearing before the Oireachtas transport committee yesterday, Mr Walsh refused to extend that guarantee but said that as long as the routes to Cork and Shannon were profitable it wouldn’t make commercial sense to discontinue them

If they did somehow become unprofitable (No chance of in any case I would have thought) why would the current Aer Lingus board keep them up anyway?

roundymac wrote: »
    Some one would want to tell that to the politicians,

It's political ping pong, at the end of the day the government Will always give preference to Dublin as the showpiece and despite Cork protestations it won't make much difference. Current projections put Cork down another 5% in 2015 but 2016 seen as better.

The old terminal needs to be demolished and replaced with a conference centre. Planning is already in place to move cargo from the North East of the new terminal to the south east allowing expansion. It's all there.....just need a carrier to see the potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

The old terminal needs to be demolished and replaced with a conference centre. Planning is already in place to move cargo from the North East of the new terminal to the south east allowing expansion. It's all there.....just need a carrier to see the potential.

And someone to pick up the tab.

Stay with the DAA lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

And someone to pick up the tab.

Stay with the DAA lads.

Stay with DAA, so that one of the freight aircraft that lands in Cork to unload, flies up to Shannon to park up for the night then back to Cork a few hours later to reload.
    I have a feeling that is due to expenses as dictated by DAA.

Correct me if I am wrong but the freighter operates Paris to Shannon.
    With a stop in Cork in the morning and evening.
    It spends the day in Shannon.
    It makes sense from a geographical perspective.
    As they can cover the West and South West more easily from a hub in the Midwest at Shannon.

Correct me if I am wrong but the freighter operates Paris to Shannon.
    With a stop in Cork in the morning and evening.
    It spends the day in Shannon.
    It makes sense from a geographical perspective.
    As they can cover the West and South West more easily from a hub in the Midwest at Shannon.

That makes perfect sense route wise, it was someone who works in the ramp in Cork told me that the reason they did it was because it was cheaper to park the plane up above in Shannon

• Advertisement

it was someone who works in the ramp in Cork told me that the reason they did it was because it was cheaper to park the plane up above in Shannon

It must be very cheap as I understand UPS/DHL/Fedex have been operating from Shannon for around 20 years.

Cork Airport Website charges.

Shannon Airport website charges.

Both sets are identical.

It must be very cheap as I understand UPS/DHL/Fedex have been operating from Shannon for around 20 years.

Cork Airport Website charges.

Shannon Airport website charges.

Both sets are identical.

The plane used to park up above in Cork, that changed so there must have been an offer.

The plane used to park up above in Cork, that changed so there must have been an offer

Interesting what time period did it park up in cork?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/apple-move-great-news-for-rural-ireland-314658.html

Another small piece in the above article which mentions the unfair competition that Cork Airport faces and the risk of the region losing jobs as a result of the Cork Airport situation. It all helps to highlight the issue which is the stifling of the Airport by policy whether that policy is to give Shannon Airport debt free status and the rent roll from former state property or the DAA really only concentrating on developing Dublin Airport.
    Don't really think seperation from the DAA is the real issue but certainly we need to get a deal financially the same as Shannon recieved.
    Keep campaigning everyone and let your politicians know.
    "We can only hope that the effective running down of Cork Airport by this Government by not permitting Cork Airport to operate on the same level playing field as the other two main airports will not result in any loss in the considerable numbers of highly skilled jobs in the greater Cork area."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I'll believe it when I see it.

Knock are looking for the T/A routes too.

Cork and knock are being too optimistic. The best they will get is one of them getting new york and maybe boston. Corks chances are probably better.

Cork should focus at what its good at, european traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Knock are looking for the T/A routes too.

Cork and knock are being too optimistic. The best they will get is one of them getting new york and maybe boston. Corks chances are probably better.

Cork should focus at what its good at, european traffic.

But sure even just a New York flight would be good,Think most people would be happy with that at the moment.
    Of course the focus should be European traffic but any new routes and especially a business route is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-state-funding-lifeline-for-cork-airport-315271.html
    Cork is on it's own, it is now up to the people of Cork to in form our local TD's that an election is due within the next year, so if they don't start to do something we will find people who will,,,, where I don't know but we have got to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Shocking attitude by Minister to be honest.

see also editorial in today's Irish Examiner! It's angry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement